What's new

When do you need a reciever? (1 Viewer)

Seam Dempsy

Stunt Coordinator
I for now am only looking to buy some quality floorstanding towers speakers and was wondering if I would need a reciever since it will still be only stereo. And if I do not need a reicever how would I go about connecting the speakers?

Many thanks,
Seam

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The minimum you need is an integrated amplifier, which is a volume control and amplifier section (preamplifier and power). Generally these have no processing of any kind and are often analog only. Without these minimum requirements, your speakers are basically boxes.

You need a receiver if you plan to do any type of processing, such as DSP and digital audio decoding, or when you will add more speakers for surround.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Just check out some stereo receivers... you can get excellent prices on stereo only models, that put out good amounts of power. If you NEVER plan to do more than stereo this would perfect for you. In essensce you can get more bang for the buck by getting a 2 channel receiver, instead of paying the same amound on a lesser quality surround receiver. Either way, you will need something to hook your speakers to!

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
A receiver includes amplifying capabilities, source switching, and a radio tuner. Surround sound and DSP are not necessarily included in those. You WILL need a receiver, unless you plan on buying a stereo power amp and connecting only one source at line-level, which can be a bit tricky and requires some serious planning...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Tricky? More like ill advised. Unless the source has some form of volume control built in, you will need a preamp section. One of my CD players has line level voltage control, which can roughly serve to control volume, but it also has the side effect of attenuating the signal.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say invest in a sourround receiver with preamp outs-this will last you a long long time.

rogo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks