What's new

When do you give up on a old car? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't think I'd be too interested in a woman who was attracted to me because of the car I drive.

I tend to gravitate toward small cars with adequate power and good suspensions and braking at reasonable prices (under $20k) or huge old Detroit Tunaboats like my late lamented '69 Cadillac El Dorado.

Cache (or less euphemistically snob appeal) plays no part in my choice of automobile. I've seen too many examples of fine European engineering traded in at the Toyota dealership I work for with problems the average Toyota/Honda/Nissan owner would be horrified at. I'm not willing to put up with the nightmares involved in owning and maintaining an out-of-warranty Ultimate Driving Machine.

That Camry was an abberation-my only boring generic mid-size sedan and my only lease. It was an appliance, and an excellent one at that.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Hey guys,

Final bill with tax came to $960. Ouch. Not only was the clutch replace but also I had to replace the clutch lever (broke) and the clutch cable (stretched beyond repair). The car is a keeper for the next few years although truth be told, I am kinda sick of it now ;)

Michael.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only problem with that is it assumes that people can afford to pay cash for even a $16,000 vehicle (most cannot), and that you can find some investment with a 10% return for the money you're saving on car payments (10% return in this economy, puhleeze).

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
that article is so far out of touch with reality it's incredible. While buying used definitely has advanages, it's not that lopsided.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I realize the article is not totally realistic. However, I posted it to show how much is lost by just after buying a new car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks