What's new

When do Stargate SG1 & Atlantis go into short rerun? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We have Voom, and hence no Sci Fi channel.

We're going back to DTV for a variety of reason, see the satelliteguys.us Voom forum for just an idea.

We watched the season premier of SG 1 at a friends house and haven't seen anything since then. We plan on switching to DTV right around the time they go into the short rerun section.

Usually they'll show 6-7 shows, then rerun then, and finish the season.

anyone know when that is?

Thanks

RickGr

Second Unit
Looks like 8/27 is the last new episodes for both series for at least a few weeks if not longer.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Why the flippin' heck do they do that? :angry:

It's the one single thing I couldn't stand about Stargate-SG1 to begin with. I hated it when they did it on Showtime. And they are still going to do that? And to both shows now? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

What exactly is the point of doing that - playing 11 or so episodes, then making us wait 4-6 months, and finally picking it back up when there is a whole new slew of shows playing opposite Stargate that I might have gotten into by then?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Mainly to avoid when the major networks are programming - cable stations (Sci-Fi and USA especially) aren't as affected by sweeps as broadcast networks, and don't have the advertising budget that the networks have. So they tend to concede the highly competitive months, and make hay during the "off-season".

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I think that if that were true, they'd put episodes in on the rerun weeks, like around turkey day and the holidays.

I look at it like this, even though it does piss me off too - I can watch as many network shows that I want to without worrying about competition from SG-1 & Atlantis now. By January I'm usually sick of them anyway, and welsome them back, along with 24 and The shield.

Also Jason, they do compete in May for sweeps, because they are both running then. Mine is just a guess but it works for me! I'm sure that some of it probably has comething to do with filming and the weather in BC.

Can you hear O'Neill saying - "Oh look - we've landed on another planet with snow!"

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's not an absolute "be where the networks aren't" - but the cable networks have certainly found it worthwhile to premiere their new shows when there is very little network competition. As to why they don't hit Thanksgiving or Christmas - well, not much point in playing new shows when there's absolutely no audience to be had.

The cable channels can avoid sweeps because those measure local ratings, which don't matter so much for national stations - they don't have local affiliates demanding original programming then in order to help that station's numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks