What's new

When do Black Friday ads come out? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just curious. Was it this last Sunday (and hence I'm going to have to beg a friend or neighbor to see theirs)? Or will it be sometime this week?

Many thanks!

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
No Black Friday ads were in my Sunday newpapers, and I picked-up 2 different papers.

I believe the ads will be in either (or both) Wednesday's or Thursday's newspapers.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Black Friday flyers usually appear at my doorstep on Thursday morning (for me, anyway). Some may appear in Wednesday's paper, but the majority tend to show up on Thanksgiving Day.

However, a quick search on Google will yield the info you're looking for right now. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Many thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I didn't already miss out on them...

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
This is the first time I ever recieved a Wal-Mart circular in the mail. They are having a big 5-Hour sale on Friday the 26th it says. I saw no pricing period listed next to the pictured titles. Many of the BIG DVD titles expected this week are in it. They may only be marked on the store shelves to drum up big turnouts looking for deals?

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
I think almost all of them come out on Thanksgiving because they don't want people to be able to buy the items ahead of time and then use the store's 30-day (or whatever) pricematching policy -- i.e. Most stores are closed on Thanksgiving. Of course, with the ability to find everything on the internet, that doesn't eliminate that issue.

--Mark--

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point, Mark. It's going to be a PITA getting that newspaper though. I hear people w/ subscriptions get their stolen all the time around this day.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Can you do this?

Last year was my first "Black Friday". I saved around $200, which was nice but waiting in line for 3 1/2 hours without a cigarette will keep me in bed this year. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

There's a lot of people out, but most are still just browsing or responding to specific offers. Most of the big shopping is yet to come.

Thankfully this year, our family has decided to simply draw names so I have considerably less shopping to do. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that is always a problem. So really, I need to wake up early three days in a row for the after-Thanksgiving madness -- on Thursday to secure a copy of the newspaper; on Friday, obviously, to make sure to get the best deals before they're gone; and on Saturday to get the free CD and bonus Reward Zone points at Best Buy.

And to Michael E, the pricematching thing is kind of YMMV. It depends on how good/bad a mood the store manager is, and also what store you're going to. I think a lot of chains are really stepping up to this for this year, though, so I'd imagine it would be very difficult to find a Best Buy or Circuit City, etc. that would let you.

But still, the idea of not releasing ads until Thanksgiving Day will still cut down on the number of people who try to do that.

--Mark--

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that the last day before Christmas is the heaviest day...overall.

What makes Black Friday probably "the worst" is that all of these BF sales are like 4 hours long, with very limited merchandise, and with a ton of people trying to get at it.

So even though it isn't the heaviest in terms of sales, I'd say that hands down, Black Friday is "the worst" shopping day.

RomanSohor

Second Unit

I think the price matching is only for the "current" price anyway, so if something you really wanted and bought today went on sale, you would have to go to the store during the 5 hours of the sale or how ever long it is going on. I worked at BB last year on Black Friday, and will be there again this year (dont know the specials yet) but based on last year's deals, it will not be anything of great quality. Had a few people this week asking me if they should hold off on a record player, and another on a Pioneer plasma in the hopes they would go on sale on Black Friday :) I told them they were safe!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year without a doubt. I work at walgreens and we have a 5 hour sale, we open at 7 and we usually have a line outside of the door. Yes, at Walgreens we have a line of people waiting to get in. Unfortunatly this year is going to be as bad as last year. We have very very low amounts of ad merchandise. For instance, last year we advertised 100 packs of TDK cdr's for $2.99 after rebate. How many did corporate send us? 2! We did issue rain checks up untill the end of the sale. We had to deal with more than the usual amount of angry customers that day. God i love retail.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Funny thing is in about 1 month after this "day" everything falls to that pricing anyway. I will catch some sleep. You should probably buy what you want Wednesday and then pricematch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks