What's new

When did Wonder Woman start to fly? (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
My daughter and I just watched Justice League on DVD. I was very surprised to see Wonder Woman flying (without her invisible jet). When did she get this power?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
And Wonder Woman shouldn't. But I guess every superhero has to be messed with now and again. Even Spider-Man could fly for a while.

Bob Smith

Grip
Superman couldn't fly when he first started out. Check out the Fleischer shorts. He never flies, just jumps really far.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
As far back as I can remember (I've been reading comics since the late 70s), Wonder Woman could fly. Back then tho, it was defined that she couldn't actually fly but "ride the winds".

The modern Wonder Woman seems to actually fly now. However she does make use of her Invisible Jet so I assume that means her flying ability is limited.

Andrew

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Wonder Woman also "flies", sans Wonder Jet, in the Elseworlds mini-series Kingdom Come. But she isn't really flying at all...more like floating with the wind currents. Superman, however, can fly now...he used to just be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Allow me to explain gentlemen, back in 97 DC rewrote all the characters and gave them all new origins and gave some new powers and took others away. The biggest revision they did was Superman when they made him more human and not so invicible. Like he cant survive in space without a space suite to breathe, and he did get any of his powers till after he was 18. Just like in the episode where Aquaman now has a harpoon for a hand is something new that have added to his charater in the last few years. I two was shocked at first to see Wonder Woman flying until I thought about it, an inviso-jet is really a dumb idea, it would just be easier to just make her fly.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mike Franklin, everything you said is true with the exception of the "97" part. The process was slow and took years to get to for all characters, even "majors" like Aquaman, but the whole thing started in 1985 with the Crisis on Infinite Earths 12-part miniseries.

Superman was the first to be re-written, with the Man Of Steel miniseries, IIRC. Batman and - to a small degree -Wonder Woman were next up (the former with the now-famous "Batman: Year One" miniseries).

From what I heard (I was long out of comic collecting by '97), WW had some other revisions later.

Of course the Justice League was the big miniseries the year after Crisis!, with the Legends miniseries that resulted in the abolishment of the JL-of-A and the kickoff of the Justice League (International).

FWIW, the following year saw the retelling of the history of the Green Lantern Corp and their relationship to the Manhunters (not to be confused with J'onn, the Martian Manhunter) by way of the Millenium miniseries.

All throughout, characters were changed in subtle ways to simply not interfere with the new origins of other characters anymore, until they could get a new unified version. Best example: Superman was now never ever "Superboy", since he didn't get powers until he was over 18. So he never traveled to the future as Superboy and joined the Legion. So, who was that person in the Legion's history that played a pivotal part in so many of their adventures? You see the dilemma.

Yes, the revisions took away Wonder Woman's invisible jet, which was just too corny for the modern audiences (hot TV shows with Lynda Carter aside!). So they came up with other ways of allowing her to keep up with the boys. One that makes sense: the Greek Gods can instantly grant her any of their powers as-needed. At least that's how the comics were back when I read them, post-Crisis! era.

I have no idea what's going on in the comics today, or in the Justice League series. Question, though: was WW granted the power of Mercury's speed to keep up with Flash (and Supes)? Was she granted Hera's wisdom to out-think Batman? Etc., etc.? Well, there ya' go!

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Wow a thread I can actually answer.
After DC restarted their universe with the "Crisis" series (Dave was right but that was around '85-'86) alot of major and minor characters were "re-vamped" starting with Superman being done by John Byrne.
I think it was around '89 somewhere when George Perez and Marv Wolfman did a new WonderWoman series starting with new origin for her. Did any of you know she (in the comics) is actually made from clay and given life by the Greek Gods (not Roman cause there is a difference) and while the Gods were all bestowing life on her they each in turn gave her a gift.
Now forgive me if I'm wrong here cause I haven't read these for years now but I believe it was Hermes that gave her a pair of winged shoes that would allow her to fly as he does. Now comes the beautiful part of comics continuity... she still flys but doesn't wear the shoes any more. Once agian I haven't read these early issues in a LONG time and I haven't collected the series in years either so it may have come down to a simple fact of Hermes showing up and just granting her the gift of flight.
Hope this helps and I always hated the invisible jet.
Jon:D

Eric F

Screenwriter
Comic talk. Weeeeeeeeeeee!
Ah yes, The Essential Thor vol 1 might cover it. 500+ pages, black and white tho. Also, you owe it to yourself to pick up all 4 DC reprints of Kirby's New Gods: New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle, and JK's 4th World. All b&w too. Unfortunately they cut that series short, but it's really impressive and still has a huge impact on the DCU today.
Speaking of the DCU "gods", it always confused me in the new rewrites just what the difference was between Wonder Woman and Capt. Marvel's powers. Ok, Cappy is the "world's mightyist mortal", and supposedly the only DC character who matches Supes in strength, (with the exception of Lobo who's an immortal now because heaven and hell don't want him, and Valor who's stuck in the phantom zone?). Ok, so WW is an immortal too, and has access to the god's powers, shouldn't she be more powerfull than Cap?
What's even more confusing is that now they say (in that horrendous War of the Gods mini) the earth "gods" are some sort of offshoot from the New Gods. This is part of the reason I only buy Graphic Novels/TPBs now.:rolleyes

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Well thanks for answering my question. I will watch this thread to see if it gets back on track about Justice League or other DVD's. Otherwise I will have to move my own thread to after hours :b

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Any idea how the first week of sales went for the Justice League? Any idea if they will do future release of the first season (though I am sure if there were to be a set, it wouldn't come until after the current season ends). Never hurts to ask.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Frank, sorry if you think this has gone off topic but really it hasn't.

Warner Bros (who owns DC comics) put out a cartoon that is easily identified with some of DC's major icons. Wonder Woman flies in comics so she does in the cartoon as well. If they put her in the jet then if people who saw the cartoon and wanted to buy a comic with those characters in it they would not be able to understand why she can fly in the comics and needs a silly jet in the cartoon.

It would be the same as seeing the Spider-man movie and then buying the comic and finding out that Peter Parker is not Spider-man. (That is an example- I know all about the "clone saga" and that Peter Parker IS Spider-man.)

Or another example is after the X-men movie anyone who tried to get into the x-men comic found it totally inaccessable due to extremely poor planning on Marvels part.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
A nice literary treatment of Princess Diana comes in the book Wonder Woman - Gods & Goddesses by John Byrne. Now, sadly, out of print. Check your local library or used book store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks