What's new

When Did We Become Such Big Weather Scaredy Cats? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
To the OP's original question:

Some people I know HAVE become "big weather scaredy cats"...and, guess what--it's the media's fault. And I work in the media so I've got a bit of an insider's perspective..

TV stations feel the need to overblow upcoming weather events solely as a ratings-grabber. Even everyday weathercasts on local stations are labeled "First Warning" or "News __ Storm Tracker."

So, as the local weather guys emphasize how big a local snowfall MIGHT be (almost always over-estimating amounts...they have turned the public into "big weather scaredy cats." And when a big storm's a-comin' what does any news room do? Tell people what they need to do to protect themselves: get water, stock up on food, etc. Ever see one of your local reporters at a grocery store or Home Depot before a storm? I bet you have. It's an easy way to fill time--especially at a time when there might not be much going on since everyone is hiding under their tables waiting for Armageddon.

It has completely gotten over done.

We see this all the time here, too. I even joke about it to my wife, saying "Deathstorm 2014" or "Snowmageddon" is coming according to the local news.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
So, as the local weather guys emphasize how big a local snowfall MIGHT be (almost always over-estimating amounts...
Oddly enough, meteorologists in my area have massively underestimated the amounts of snow this year. Thanks to years and years of constant overestimations, I've learned to just subtract 2 to 3 inches from what they would predict and that would be pretty close to the actual amount of snow but this year, I've had to add 2 to 3 inches to their predictions. The joke of it all is that the meteorologists are still wrong, it's just in a different direction this time. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking a bit about my post here in which I declare "it's the media's fault."

I suppose, really, we need to accept personal responsibility for not seeing past the intentions of the media. It's really our fault for so readily buying what they're selling.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just want to know who hoarded all the road salt! It sure as hell wasn't me (this time)... :)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well, there's another dire prediction of doom for the latter half of the weekend so naturally everyone's freaking out. "We're getting 10 inches of snow so I won't be in on Monday!" Seriously?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I've been thinking a bit about my post here in which I declare "it's the media's fault."

I suppose, really, we need to accept personal responsibility for not seeing past the intentions of the media. It's really our fault for so readily buying what they're selling.
That's true to some degree but when someone essentially yells "FIRE!", you should be able to take them at their word rather than having to wonder if they're yelling it for ratings or website hits.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
That's true to some degree but when someone essentially yells "FIRE!", you should be able to take them at their word rather than having to wonder if they're yelling it for ratings or website hits.
Yeah, unfortunately though...that's kinda the point of my post. I'm not really sure we CAN still trust those yelling "fire" with having pure motives. I think they only care about their ratings book. Bottom line and all that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
When records continue to be broken around the globe, it seems like some concern is justified...
Absolutely but for every 1 story that looks at the big picture, I must see 99 that only care about hyping the immediate storm for the sake of hits or ratings.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
I've been thinking a bit about my post here in which I declare "it's the media's fault." I suppose, really, we need to accept personal responsibility for not seeing past the intentions of the media. It's really our fault for so readily buying what they're selling.
I've thinking about it, too. And I blame you, Mike. Like you said, we can't spell Frozen-geddon without Frezon. So, your fault. ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
When I was a kid, we had snow on the ground almost every single Christmas. We went back through the Christmas photos this year, and in 7 out of 9, snow. We've been getting snow, this year and last but it's February snow.... meanwhile, November and December were fairly warm.

And while we've had a lot of snow, it was NOTHING like 1984 when I was a kid. We look at photos of that snow storm and just think: holy hell. It was nuts.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Mike Frezon said:

My wife always - or so it seems - listens to the "Chicken Little Weather Report"...

There seems to be, according to her huge amounts of something always falling from the sky...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Doug: Tell her that most of the "stuff" isn't falling from the sky, but is, instead, spewing from the mouths of the weathercasters. :laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of which...big storm supposed to be coming in tonight. Wondering if I'm flying to California tomorrow morning, or if the flight will be canceled.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We got another 4" last night. The hockey game...those who watched, know how much it snowed.

Glad it ended, have friends flying in from Seattle tonight. Hopefully, this time, the "weather warm up that is forecasted" actually happens.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
TravisR said:
Speaking of yelling "FIRE!", I saw an opposite reaction to this on Friday night. We were attending a hockey game for our local Ontario Hockey League team, and late in the first period the fire alarm went off in the arena. Well, play continued on the ice, and absolutely no one got out of their seat to leave the arena. The entire crowd just ignored the blaring alarm. Finally after a play stoppage the public address announcer came on to state that it was a false alarm, but it was rather interesting to watch the reaction of over 2,500 people, plus all the players and officials on the ice, just ignoring a fire alarm.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,That's interesting (and truthfully a bit unnerving given the size of the crowd). Side note: One of my martial arts instructors (fifth degree black belt in Shotokan karate) tells us that yelling 'Fire' is more effective than 'Help!' in a potentially dangerous situation (e.g., when one is about to be or is being attacked). This advice is obviously not effective during hockey games. ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Flights were canceled out of Dulles preemptively (or perhaps the planes were grounded at other airports) -- Virgin canceled my Monday 9am flight yesterday, at least 8 hours before we had any snow. Per the usual, gov't facilities and schools are all closed. I'm taking personal time for a snow day (SOP for people of my ilk). I've been texting with a coworker about whether to go into our corp offices to do a telecon with west coast people at 4pm today.

The snow has been coming down all day. In Rochester, NY, this would have made for a lousy commute, but it would be passable. The plows would have been running all last night and the main roads would have been cleared. Here in NoVA, I'm getting soft, and "when in Rome...". With 4-6" as of noon, I'll have to shovel drive and walkway a second time this evening. And I'm not inclined to drive the main roads either to get in for a telecon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks