What's new

When did the standing ovation become meaningless? (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
There is a local entertainment venue that brings about 4 or 5 Broadway shows per year. The last show they brought was "Chicago" and I thought it was horrible. No dancing during "Cell Block Tango", Matron Momma had a bad voice, Roxy was played as a child instead of just naive. There was occasional applause from me for parts of the performance that did stand out but no standing O. Much of the audience did give it high praise but I just didn't see it. On the other hand I saw "The Producers" there and that was fantastic.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I could not agree more, Michael.

Many years ago (for a number of years) I had the opportunity to attend an outstanding chamber music series at a small venue. The Julliard Quartet three times a year for several years, Yo Yo Ma, the Beaux Arts Trio and more. Music of the absolute highest caliber and out of a half-dozen concerts a year, over a number of years, I don’t remember more than two standing ovations.

I sat two rows back and applauded with my hands high in the air after an exceptional performance, as did others in the audience. But I have no qualms about sitting in my seat applauding, when others around me are standing.

After all (again as already mentioned), I’ve really shown my appreciation by concentrating during the performance.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

The self fulfilling prophecy at work!

Went to a Ryan Bingham concert last night, (BTW, he is very good) and everything got a standing ovation.
No problem for me, I was glad to get out of my seat and give my rear end a break.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Last Broadwy show I saw was Young Frankenstein...must have been at least a dozen standing O's.

What struck me even more though was that people behaved more like they were at a rock concert than a Broadway show. People were constantly woo hooing and yelling out "yeah!" in the middle of songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks