What's new

When did the Dish Network HDTV Demo Channel change the "loop?" (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I was channel surfing on the Dish Network tonight and lo and behold I found the Newport Jazz Festival on the HDTV Demo Channel. (The repeating program looked great, although the sound is still low and not 5.1 on that channel).

When did Dish change from the normal HDTV Demo Loop and what else has changed in that area?

Thanks.

DennisHP

Second Unit
While I don't have an answer for your question (I'm on the 148 bird and they don't have a demo channel), reading this brings up another question; why is the volume so low on HD channels?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
why is the volume so low on HD channels?

Actually, in my system (East Coast) the only channel with low, muffled sound is the HDTV Demo channel. All the other channels (HBO-HD, SHO-HD and CBS-HD) are fine, depending on the source material. When the movies are shown in DD 5.1 the sound can be very, very good (assuming that the source material is good).

Also, I've never gotten 5.1 sound from the Dish HDTV-Demo channel although it would seem that this would be a perfect showcase for it. When I've called and e-mailed Dish on this they didn't seem to care.

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
According to a Dish rep that comes into my store, the volume is so low to free up bandwidth for picture quality.

The loop must have changed within the last two to three weeks. Our 6000 box went out at work and we're waiting for a new one so I haven't seen the demo in two to three weeks.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
They just changed it over a day or two after Christmas. All I can say is that the new demo BITES! There's no scenery at all, zero action. I wouldn't mind a bunch of jazz, but it would be cool to see an HD demo in a smokey bar. Plus, that white guy with the long hair sucks -- working in a retailer where that demo plays all day gets old with that lame-ass every ten minutes. Ugh. Change it back to the other one!

Doug

Don Landis

Auditioning
The Newport Jazz Festival is a program, not a demo loop. I agree that if DishNetwork plans to air programs like this on that channel that stores and others have become accustomed to use as a demo, they really need to rotate the programs. The Jazz Festival, IMO, is a good thing but too much of a good thing gets old real fast. I will be suggesting the rotation idea when I meet with their programming rep next week.

Re DD5.1- Last I heard, 9 months ago, that channel was not equipped with the necessary Dolby hardware for DD5.1, even if the program had it. However, that is no excuse for the low volume levels. When I spoke to them about this about 9 months ago, I was told that they also did not have any audio compression (line leveling) on that channel and therefore have the volume set for reference level. Unfortunately, this will cause the average volume on these programs to be abnormally low when compared to other channels that use line leveling dynamic range limiting. Personally, I think this is an error in judgement and I will mention this too when I see them. There is no reason why, after you know there are no peak volume excursions in a program you can't ramp up the levels for air.

A possible explanation as to why a demo loop is pulled off the air may be due to broadcast rights expiration. Much of the demo loop was owned by WRAL and given to DN for air. It may be that that demo's rights expired and they (both parties) decided not to renew. Being in the TV production business, nothing surprises me when lawyers and agents to talent get involved in rights and issues.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I did notice the Jazz program the other day and wondered the same questions. It was OK for a day or two but yes lets move on to other material. I wish Dish would offer a full-time HD channel with varied programming like DirecTv started doing.

Still I am thrilled that I got a waiver and can get the CBS West HD channel. I thought it would be years before I could get network HD stuff out here in rural Minnesota.

Please tell me that CBS didn't broadcast the Dallas Thanksgiving game in HD because I didn't get a chance to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks