When did Pioneer go "high end?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Aug 10, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I remember their receivers from years back.
    They were miserable compared to say, Yamaha.
    When did they decide to go into home theater
    at the top receiver level?

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I think when they came out with the 49t and 47tx the 39tx wasn't that bad I had the 37tx and then upgraded to the 49tx, big improvement. MCACC feature is awesome.

Daniel Smith

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I think we have to make a distinction here between the regular Pioneer products to the Pioneer Elite line.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Pioneer has been putting out very high quality Elite units for at least 10 years. The SP-91d was an Elite Dolby Pro Logic Processor way back when.

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have to agree with Kevin Pioneer has been building nicer gear for a while now. There Elite series has been a very nice step up in offering high quality models. Although a few years ago Elite lost some of its luster. And the Elite receivers kinda sucked. But Pioneer quickly turned it around from what I understand. And it is evident with models like there new Elite 49TX flagship receiver. This receiver can go head to head with the likes of Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo Integra. I must defenantly give Pioneer a big[​IMG] for there new Elite models. The quality is very very good and I would love to have a 49TX in my system right now.

6. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

My older Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX is nothing to sneeze at!!

7. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

my dad has an older Elite VSX-95, it is pretty nice, he has designated it to use for the speakers that run throughout the house (multi-zone) and uses a Rotel 1066 to do the real work for music and HT

9. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I remember old tv adds where even Pioneer speakers were considered "respectable" :b

10. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Barry:

11. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

12. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

That would be "respectable". [​IMG]

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I must admit that I've never been a Pioneer fan - excluding their LD players & RPTVs - until I got my VSX-49TX. I've owned Yamaha & Onkyo, and was looking only at those two, along with Denon & Marantz when I came across the Pioneer models. I'll admit I was a bit hesitant and biased against them - I've listened to their older Elite units and just never been impressed compared to those other brands.

However, I'm quite the convert now and really think they have their act together. If you haven't heard the latest stuff - you should. It certainly suprised me.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I haven't followed developments with Elite receivers closely, but Pioneer has had the Elite line out for awhile and has many outstanding components. The famous Elite PD-65 was first released in 1992 and was in continuous production until the fall of 2000. For many years, the PD-65 at $800 was a venerable bargain. Pioneer made other excellent Elite CD players and transports over the years as well such as the PD-93 and PD-S95.

15. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I came to be a Pioneer Elite fan due to my wife. She has worked for Pioneer for going on 15 years now, and can purchase anything Pioneer makes at cost!! Most all of my electronic gear is top of the line Pioneer Elite.

But when it came time to buy new speakers, Pioneer did not even come into the equation. I just don't like Pioneer speakers. I went the Paradigm route: Monitor 7's (front), 3's (rear), CC-350 (center) and PW-2200 (sub). Recently added a used Carver AV-705x amp.....gawd what terrific sound!!