1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

When did ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT become less about entertainment and more about celebrity gossip?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MatthewA, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    In the 1980s and 1990s, celebrities used to go on ET to talk about their latest work. They'd even have segments about classic movies with Leonard Maltin. Now it's just another "who's sleeping with who" show. At what point did it get to that point?

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    September 23, 2015

3. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    They probably went that way to compete with TMZ.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That sounds about right.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Can't tell you exactly, but I stopped watching years ago for that very reason.

That, and it seemed like much of the airtime was used as filler promoting what was "coming up next," rather than actual stories. It seemed like a 22 minute show with about 12 minutes of actual content.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I just received my "LAST ISSUE!" of Entertainment Weekly last week after subscribing for many, many years.

Why?

Because while it still contained some information on the entertainment industry it had drifted away from its mission in a dramatic fashion and had pretty much adopted the stance that the only things worth spotlighting were programs produced by Shonda Rhimes. It had also dropped its standards by letting go its better writers and reviewers and replacing them with sub-standard internet writers.

I suspect something similar happened to ET. But I had given up on it many a year ago.

Bryan^H and Malcolm R like this.
  7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yes, I'll probably think about whether or not I need to renew EW on the next expiration.

I'm also peeved that a "weekly" magazine publishes so many "special double issues". They're not really that special when those comprise the majority of your issues.

8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    What exactly happened on ET that day, or was it something that posting here would violate HTF rules?

CHEERS! :)

9. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Sorry, just being a goofball. But you're right, the show took a total turn for the tabloid a while back, and maybe actually around that time. I think Kevin's comment about TMZ as competitor perhaps gaining popularity is definitely a factor.

My other problem with the show is the hosts are so jacked up over-caffeinated on Monster Energy, I keep asking, "Seriously? Is this report that exciting? Are you really that invested?" If they smiled any harder their faces would break.

And don't get me started about EW magazine. The every other issue double issue thing is annoying. Three weeks go by in between. Then, they stopped actually doing any reviews except one or two books or records. Then they went gayer than the Advocate. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I emphasize in my loudest Seinfeld voice, but man, you have absolutely abandoned the viewing tastes of the rest of us. The only masculine item left in that magazine are the staples. I'm not saying you have to become Rugged Outdoor Adventure today, but the rainbow of stories left out a few colors that the rest of us like. Where are you, Jeff Jensen? Sci-fi. Etc.

10. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    In my opinion, I think it went full tabloid once Mary Hart left in 2011, but it was heading in that direction for years even before she left. As with many things, it can probably be traced back to OJ Simpson. Like everyone else at the time, ET focused the majority of its attention on anything and everything connected to the case and trial. These days, in the era of TMZ, Kardashians, and celebrities making fools of themselves on an almost hourly basis on social media, simply focusing on the productions would be too mundane in their eyes.

For awhile, Leonard Maltin - who now only gets brought onto ET for a couple minutes per year to discuss Oscar nominations - found a new home doing shows for Reelz. But in the past few years, that cable channel stopped covering movies and mostly just runs marathons of celebrity autopsy documentaries and shows focused on celebrity scandals.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have a few of their first 1981 shows on tape, which are quite different than it was even a few years later. I should put them on YouTube as I can now do that at the proper frame rate, and the rightsholders don't seem to be mad about other stuff from their show that's been posted there.