What's new

When did CBS retire use of "in color" open logo? (3 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
As far as the CBS logo is concerned, the logo can be seen on the Hogan's Heroes second-season DVD set released in 2005 (presumably it was on the first-season set after the pilot as well?).

That is correct-- the first go of Hogan's Heroes (barring the pilot episode in BW) does indeed have that classic "CBS presents this program in color" ID.

Here's the menu design on that first go of Hogan's Heroes, and that classic CBS ID:

hogansheroesfirstseasondvdmenu.jpg

cbspresentsthisprogramincolor.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

I was wondering what the heck that show on Fridays titled "Chick-Chick" was? I knew all the others. My research says that it was a show called Accidental Family. I do vaguely remember that. It lasted half a season. I don't know if Chick-Chick was the original title, but the pilot episode was titled "Everywhere a Chick-Chick."

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Neither my mother nor my father had color TV in their homes until the 1970s. By that time, it was pointless to point it out, especially when the early years of color TV really reflected the Mod 1960s aesthetic.
Same with my parents. I've wondered, on occasion, if TV was reflecting that 60's aesthetic or, because color broadcasting was new, they were just trying to sell TV's and wanted to show/emphasize the colors as much as possible.

It seems to me that movies nowadays all seem to be shades of brown and gold or grays and blues. I recently saw that Midway movie from a couple years ago. All grays and blues. Then I came across the Oscar winning short documentary The Battle of Midway on youtube filmed by John Ford in color as it was happening. All shades of color in that. I mean, the ocean water was actually blue.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
ACCIDENTAL FAMILY had as its theme song a modern arrangement of "Old McDonald Had A Farm" and the line "everywhere a chick-chick".

I suspect the official title was changed after that NBC card was printed.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That is correct-- the first go of Hogan's Heroes (barring the pilot episode in BW) does indeed have that classic "CBS presents this program in color" ID.

Here's the menu design on that first go of Hogan's Heroes, and that classic CBS ID:

View attachment 93461

View attachment 93462
I made some quick caps from the Season 1 Disc one DVD:

The end of the animated CBS logo on "Hold That Tiger" the first color episode on the disc.

Link Removed

The opening title card for "Hold That Tiger."

Link Removed

There is no CBS opening logo on the black & white pilot episode (There is a closing CBS Iris).

Link Removed

The First end title of "The Informer" the B&W pilot.

Link Removed

Attachments

• HH-CBS-Color Ep 2.png
    HH-CBS-Color Ep 2.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 76
  • HH-Ep2.png
    HH-Ep2.png
    531.6 KB · Views: 72
  • HH-ep1.png
    HH-ep1.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 74
  • HH-Ep1 CC.png
    HH-Ep1 CC.png
    268.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Same with my parents. I've wondered, on occasion, if TV was reflecting that 60's aesthetic or, because color broadcasting was new, they were just trying to sell TV's and wanted to show/emphasize the colors as much as possible.

It seems to me that movies nowadays all seem to be shades of brown and gold or grays and blues. I recently saw that Midway movie from a couple years ago. All grays and blues. Then I came across the Oscar winning short documentary The Battle of Midway on youtube filmed by John Ford in color as it was happening. All shades of color in that. I mean, the ocean water was actually blue.
60s and early 70s Television shows in color were expected to have a color "pop". They primarily used pastel colors as well as pure Red, Green and Blue. Ideally they wouldn't use yellow as that was the hardest color to accurately reproduce.

Black and White TV shows were designed to take advantage of shades of gray and sets and product mock-ups for commercials (eg) were designed with grayscale in mind. Keep in mind the first TV set were 3 inches with a magnifying glass included.

1616963355846.png

Most modern color films use color (or in the case of bleach-bypass lack thereof) to produce a mood etc with a color scheme being set up for each of various elements and all departments coordinating.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Pretty sure the Laramie Peacock was the only "In Color" graphic around by 1972 and even then its usage was in major decline.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I would guess CBS began to stop using their "In Color" opening logo starting with the 1970-71 season, since although they had a full color schedule since the 1966-67 season, through the 1969-70 season there were a few programs still telecast in monochrome, at least in the daytime.

In addition to Hogan's Heroes, this logo was also used to open--please correct me if I am wrong:
The Andy Griffith Show (seasons 6 to 8, September 13, 1965 to April 1, 1968)
The Lucy Show (seasons 4 to 6, September 13, 1965 to March 11, 1968)
Petticoat Junction (seasons 3 to 7, September 14, 1965 to April 4, 1970)
The Beverly Hillbillies (seasons 4 to 9, September 15, 1965 to March 23, 1971)
Green Acres (seasons 1 to 5, September 15, 1965 to April 11, 1970)
My Three Sons (seasons 6 to 10, September 16, 1965 to April 4, 1970)
Gilligan's Island (seasons 2 and 3, September 16, 1965 to April 17, 1967)
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. (seasons 2 to 5, September 17, 1965 to May 2, 1969)
Perry Mason (season 9, episode 21, February 27, 1966)
Lost in Space (seasons 2 and 3, September 14, 1966 to March 6, 1968)
The Wild, Wild West (seasons 2 to 4, September 16, 1966 to April 11, 1969)
Gunsmoke (seasons 12 to 15, September 17, 1966 to March 23, 1970)
Mission: Impossible (seasons 1 to 4, September 17, 1966 to March 29, 1970)
He & She (September 7, 1967 to March 28, 1968)
The Carol Burnett Show (seasons 1 to 3, September 11, 1967 to March 30, 1970)
Mannix (seasons 1 to 3, September 16, 1967 to March 21, 1970)
Hawaii Five-O (seasons 1 and 2, September 20, 1968 to March 11, 1970)

~Ben

Last edited:

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
Thanks everyone for the responses- I appreciate the insight! I do have to agree that it seems odd that MTM would carry that logo from 1970-73, especially given it hadn't started as BW, but I have read that on various websites (although, those places probably got their info from same place).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
"Hey, Bob, you got that new NBC logo ready? It's due in an hour. You've had months, I hope you got something good!"

"... oh. shit."

Bob looks around, sees a TV Guide his mom, Betty, from Lincoln had sent him. He flips through the pages, hoping for an idea when...

"Heyyyy... You know, if I just color one side red and the other blue, no one'll ever know!"

Meanwhile, NBC merged the N and the 11-feathered Peacock in 1979, then ditched the N and five of the peacock's feathers in 1986, while NETV had to change their logo to this:

In the 50s and 60s, just about every ABC series was seldom watched.

"Want to end the Vietnam War? Put it on ABC, it'll be canceled in 13 weeks!"

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Meanwhile, NBC merged the N and the 11-feathered Peacock in 1979, then ditched the N and five of the peacock's feathers in 1986, while NETV had to change their logo to this:

"Want to end the Vietnam War? Put it on ABC, it'll be canceled in 13 weeks!"

I'm guessing Nebraska was paid handsomely to change their logo, though. So it worked out for them. NBC, however, just spent a lot of money for nothing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It almost makes them becoming 3rd and ABC becoming 1st around that time a form of karma for that, not to mention Fred Silverman's failure to duplicate at NBC either of the disparate approaches that worked at the other two networks. It just looks like such a douche move for a big company to take what a statewide non-profit organization created and think no one would ever catch on. Did they really think they could get off scot-free for outright theft like this?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

According to this TVTropes entry, these color presentation IDs stuck around for the most part until 1972, when sales of color TV sets over the B&W ones were high enough. But again, CBS's color presentation ID would make a comeback on the colorized Christmas episodes of I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But again, CBS's color presentation ID would make a comeback on the colorized Christmas episodes of I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

And quite apropos even now-- it is very much part of America's storied television history, after all!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm pretty sure that the CBS color ID bumper stuck around through the summer of 1970 and then disappeared for all intents and purposes. When the fall shows of 1970 premiered, the color ID on CBS gone. I never witnessed the CBS color ID on a MARY TYLER MOORE episode, so that's when they were removed.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm pretty sure that the CBS color ID bumper stuck around through the summer of 1970 and then disappeared for all intents and purposes. When the fall shows of 1970 premiered, the color ID on CBS gone. I never witnessed the CBS color ID on a MARY TYLER MOORE episode, so that's when they were removed.

And (per what you're saying) I think it was removed because everyone knew that everything would be in color from that point forward (not just on CBS, but on all networks), so there would be no more point in advertising that feature.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I believe ABC stopped their use with the 1970-71 season. I know That Girl (it’s final season) still had it on a bumper card.

And Bewitched with Elizabeth Montgomery’s live-active bumper.

But the following season 1971-72 the bumper dropped the “in color” part of the announcement.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
And (per what you're saying) I think it was removed because everyone knew that everything would be in color from that point forward (not just on CBS, but on all networks), so there would be no more point in advertising that feature.
And also by removing the bumper, they had five or so more seconds to add to advertising time or promotional time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks