When Company Comes, Who Sits Where?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, May 15, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Thanks to a LOT of people on this forum, I am very close to closing in on all elements of my first HT. The JBL NSP1 and PB-12 are ordered, I bought my Onkyo '600 last week, and I'm waiting on the new version of the Toshiba 50" RPTV ...
    With that said, I began thinking about the layout today at work and dreaming of the inevitable Fri. or Sat. "Family Movie Night" in HT bliss [​IMG]
    ... Question: When you invite company over to watch the newest blockbuster, WHO do you let sit in the 'sweet-spot'? My room is small w/sofa in middle and 2 La-Z-Boys flanking that. I normally sit in my hallowed recliner, but methinks I'll be switching seating areas for awhile! [​IMG] [​IMG] :b [​IMG] (especially to enjoy Jurassic Park in DTS!!) I don't want to appear to be rude or anything [​IMG] ,so I may just have to give up my recliner for the night ...Archie Bunker would roll over in his grave :b

2. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Very simply, I get the sweet spot. It's mine, mine, mine ALL MINE!

Seriously, ignorance is bliss. Most people will be WOW'ed by your home theater and don't know anything about any sweet spots, so why should they have it? They'll be happy sitting anywhere, 'cause you're gonna have a SWEET system.

Good luck.

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yep, I sit in the sweet spot. I bought it, I assembled it and I enjoy it. Sounds selfish, but hey, that's life. [​IMG]

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

dang...i guess i'm too magnanimous. i usually let the guest sit where they want (usually sweet spot) and i sit where there's a spot left. it's my system and i can get the full benefit any time...my guests should be so lucky [​IMG]
    kevin t

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I let the company sit in the sweet spot, and I stand next to them and tell them what to do:

"Ok this is a music demo, close your eyes and picure where each instrument is and how far behind the wall they are playing, try to focus on where the lead singer is and notice where they are standing"

"Ok this is a surround demo, listen for the ship flying and notice that it sounds like the same object with no big shifts in tonality or skips in the movement."

"This is a bass demo, notice how clean and consistant the tones are, and the ability to reach low THX notes. Listen to the bass and how it wraps around your body and engulfs you into the song/movie."

"And here are a few of my favorite dvd demo chapters you'll find that demonstrate the dynamics of my HT, If you want I can turn the volume above reference level, just give me a signal."

"Thank you for listening, please pick up any loose change or articles of clothing that fell off on your way out. Keep in mind my theater wasn't tuned perfectly and I plan to upgrade a component or 2 in the future, what you heard is a humble representation so I hope you at least enjoyed it."

hehe

6. WilliamG

Chris-
    I LOVE it![​IMG]

7. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

OMG ROFLMAO,
    Chris, that was awsome.[​IMG]
    Generally, I am with Kevin. If I'm having a few people over, I usually let guests have the sweet spot and I'll just pull up some rug where there's leftover space[​IMG]. If it's just me and one/two other people, it's not a prob.
    --Steve

8. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Personally I like to show off the system a little bit so I'd be happy to give someone else the "sweet" spot so they get the full effect (and they think I'm just being nice, Ha!). [​IMG]
    Btw Chris, that's funny!
    - Mike

9. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

That was a truly funny post Chris!
    I usually give up the sweet spot to company when they're over in the hopes of getting them hooked on HT. [​IMG]

10. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I always give up the sweet spot, I have it all the time so its not like I am missing anything.

11. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

When the ladies come to the house to check out my home theater, I sit in the sweet spot and they sit in my lap. That way, they get an extra bonus "tactile response"... and I ain't talkin' about my SVS either!

12. WilliamG

Now, Jeremy .... [​IMG]

13. Chris Tsutsui

[​IMG]
    But seriously, I've done the same thing with friends and family that come over, ready a playlist so you'll have a variety.
    It really helps amaze people when they have somebody guiding them what to listen for. If nobody tells them what to hear, then it's just another demo. I like giving them an experience they'll base the rest of their audition experiences from.

14. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I sit in the sweet spot, everyone else sits wherever they can find room. They don't like it? That's tough. [​IMG]

15. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

If it is a title that I have already experienced in my theater or something on broadcast TV, the company can sit where they want. All other scenarios require my presence in the sweet spot.

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I get the sweetspot... My 16 year old teenager friends wont appreciate the sound from my stystem, so screw that! :p)

17. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I would agree with those who would allow guests to sit in the sweet spot because they can use the HT any time they want.
    Fortuantely, I am such an odious person that hobody ever wants to some to my house, so I can have the sweet spot whenever I want. He HE[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I sit in the sweet spot, the untrained ear really can't appreciate the difference between sitting in the sweet spot and not.

19. Chris Tsutsui

I disagree, everyone I've demoed music for can tell that a sweet spot exists when I ask them how the soundstage changes when they move to the left or right from the sweet spot. I do agree that they wouldn't notice a sweet spot unless told that there is one.

For movies, the sweet spot is a bit more subtle because of the presence a center channel. My HTPC is 4.1 so a sweet spot is almost mandatory to get sound to come from the middle of the screen.

20. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

NickSo, Im a 16 year old teenager and I care about the sweet spot. Klipsch RF3's all the way![​IMG]