What's new

When are we going to see...(Rant) (1 Viewer)

JohnKE

Agent
...an affordable pre/pro with HDMI switching and room correction like AFFORDABLE receivers from Yamaha and Denon...

What am I not understanding? I have a Rotel RSP-1066 and I sick of waiting for a replacement that I can afford with the features that I want.

I was looking at a Denon 2807 receiver and I walked away sick about the price/features/performance it offered. Why can't an average consumer like myself buy something like that without the amp section...

/rant off

All jokes aside - Can someone PLEASE explain this to me.

Edit - Notice that I am not being greedy and asking for HDMI upconversion included for a reasonable price, only HDMI switching.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Just purely talking through my hat, or some other place.

I'm guessing that folks who buy separates in general have more disposable cash, and the mfrs know this, so up the price. The idea might bethat bragging about the cost is part of the mystique.

Now, you and I know that discerning listeners do not always have deep pockets. We want to get the quality and features in a nice neat little package, without paying for stuff we don't need.

How about if you get a rcvr, then just use the pre-outs and ignore the amp section? This is the route I am taking. Decent rcvr, add amps when I find them at bargain basement price.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John,

There are a number of reasons why pre-pros cost more, not the least of which is the fact that receivers have economies of scale in their favor. That’s also why pre-pros lag behind in features: Given their low volume, it doesn’t make sense to upgrade them every year. Plus, features like autocalibrate are likely to be shunned by the audiophile types pre-pros target.

Chuck is on the right track: If the receiver with the features you want is cheaper or the same price as the pre-pro would be, it makes more sense to look as the amp section as a freebie, not a waste. The internal amps could always be used for powering a secondary zone, outdoor speakers, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks