What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Watched the Voyage Christmas episode which is one of my favorites. I will now move on to Gary's favorite the LIS Christmas episode. Just teasing you old pal!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am watching my cold Voyage episodes especially last week when all schools were closed here for 3 days. I always bring out the Frost Men and the Voyage pilot. I also brought out as things warmed to zero for a high in Chicago the Heat Monster. I saw that they used many of the pilot scenes in that episode. I even put the Creature on which I used to hate but saw some great scenes with the flying sub and acting too. No I did not have to much wine to warm up while watching to make these observations LOL.

Harry my friend in your spare time could you give a screen shot from Heat Monster. right at the start when they bring in the ice cube they have this real neat shot of the Seaview lighted up flat laying above the sonar. They watch as the heat moves on this thing in two scenes. I have never noticed this lighted blow up of the inside of the ship before and think it was in this only episode. Looks really cool. The first time too that I ever saw it.

Thanks Mark

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Sharkey1.JPG

I'm intruding (temporarily) with the sad news of the recent passing of veteran screen and television actor Terry Becker (born on August 05th, 1921), aka Chief Francis Ethelbert Sharkey on the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) tv series, on Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 at 93 years of age.

Provided is a weblink to THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER online obituary for Terry Becker by Mike Barnes (dated January 09th, 2015):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terry-becker-dead-voyage-bottom-762279

Also provided is a weblink to an online videoclip of the next week preview of the VOYAGE episode "Brand of the Beast" (18/12/1966):

Rest in Peace Terry Becker!

Not many VOYAGE cast member survivors left now.

Jeff T.

:(

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sad day for Voyage Fans. Here they are at the reunion last fall.

Richard Basehart loved working with Terry and told Irwin he wanted to do more scenes with him. Such is why you see the two always paired off during trouble. I always loved those comic scenes between the two when Nelson called the Chief Francis. You could tell they were real friends. The scene from the Haunted Sub in season 3 which Basehart enjoyed because he had two roles has a great scene between them in Nelson's office on Seaview.

The Chief comes for advice but Nelson turns the tables and asks the Chief for advice. Great scene and great acting.

http://www.iann.net/voyage/index.htm

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Mark Collins said:
Harry my friend in your spare time could you give a screen shot from Heat Monster. right at the start when they bring in the ice cube they have this real neat shot of the Seaview lighted up flat laying above the sonar. They watch as the heat moves on this thing in two scenes. I have never noticed this lighted blow up of the inside of the ship before and think it was in this only episode. Looks really cool. The first time too that I ever saw it.
Mark, can you be more specific about the timing of the shot within the episode? I took a quick look but only saw the Seaview sitting at the ice level.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Harry sorry to get back to you so late. Just after they bring the ice block aboard Seaview they are in the control room where Chip remarks on a yellow lighted up blue print that is pasted above or near sonar almost below the viewing Monitor about heat on the ship. They show this blue print twice in two separate scenes. They show a light moving on the lighted blue print moving from one room to the next depicted on the blue print. I had never seen this lighted blue print used in any other episode. I thought it looked kind of cool.

Last night I in honor of Terry I watched the first pairing of Richard and Terry in Terror on Dinosaur Island which was a pretty good episode. I always thought that Richard did a great deal of ad-libs on the show and I thought I caught a few here. The comic black book scene of the chiefs is done really well. I also love the ad-lib in the Return of Blackbeard when the Admiral and the chief are trying to figure out how to destroy Blackbeard and Basehart states "there is more than one way to catch a goose" i enjoyed that line. The best of course at the end of the Mummy when Basehart looks direct into the camera at us the audience in reply to a question from Hedison. That was my all time favorite candid moment.

The last line at the end of the Creature when Hedison states he never was worried at all because he knew the Admiral would come up with something to save the day with everyone laughing as Basehart comes up with another great line. You can really see that these guys enjoyed working together.

Terry was next to Hedison for fan mail. He was very popular with the fans. In the Dinosaur Island Richard refers to the Chief as on loan from the Navy. He worked without a contract for the whole first year. Terry states he demanded from Irwin when he began his second year a contract. Funny exchange between the two.

Terry you sure will be missed by all of us Voyage fans. We have at least the gift you gave us by your great acting on Voyage.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watched two great episodes tonight that feature those best moments with the Chief and Nelson. The Chief spread with foam or whipped cream while Nelson can barely keep a straight face beautiful. Then the great scene in Nelson's office between him and the Chief later in the story is so perfectly acted.

Blackbeard also had it's moments when you take it at face value. The Chief and Nelson once again trying to stop events. The humorous dialog to end the episode as many Voyage episodes have.

Voyage so very well cast. Like I said before these people enjoyed what they were doing and it came through in every scene.

Long live Voyage!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Could it be with a Lost In Space blu-ray that Voyage may have a chance as I believe was it Jeff who has been asking for this. Did people know that Voyage with it's crisp prints has a new following with it's being aired on MeTV and now the heros and Icon channel.

The show stands up and Richard Basehart is the reason. He really acts in this show no matter how bad a script might be he delivers in the end. The cast play it for real. You can see that Richard is the leader and they all fall in step to deliver the best acting they can. The other point I always make is that these guys liked working with each other and you can see it.

The sets too are fantastic. I just wish as the actors thought that there had been a season 5 because I think Voyage with new special effects and sounder scripts would have redeemed itself.

I just recorded today Richard in Gunsmoke playing Captain Sligo.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Richard will be on Little House on the inspirational channel Monday at 4pm CST. I intend on recording that episode.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well got a chance to see Basehart and Richard Bull in Little House for the first time. I sure enjoyed the episode. Like Dave Hedison said Richard was one of the best actors on TV when he starred on Voyage. I also love on Gunsmoke how they really gave the whole show over to Richard.

I joined a group of Irwin Allen Fans early in the weekend and really enjoyed seeing what they talked about and had for Voyage and the Time Tunnel. They said that the Lost In Space 50th reunion was drawing all kinds of people to join and speak not just about LIS but Voyage and TT. They really had some cool pictures of both series.

I spoke about my love of Voyage and TT and how each year from September through May I watch all episodes of both series. I even have been putting on some LIS and thought perhaps some of Giants too. We had one huge Giants fans here when I bought the series a few years ago cheap. Wish we could hear from him again. Hey I look at Voyage as the one that began all the Irwin Allen series so why cannot people if they want come here and talk about all 4 series.

I think my friend Harry would tell you we are a pretty safe group here. Hey not to mention my old friend Gary.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just had to report that I hope to see Seaview in 4K Thursday night. I cannot wait. I may pop the BD movie in and see what Seaview looks like in the up convert on a Blu-ray. I have been wanting to make the jump for sometime but could hold back no longer. I know I could have bought a better set but we buy what we can afford. Besides this is just a start and in a few years prices may be lower and I can afford a better set. I will admit I am a bit nervous buying from Amazon but it was such a good deal I decided to go with it.

So I am off on Voyage on the Seaview Thursday Night.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watched the DVD in 4K yes I did see minor detail and wished the show were in HD. I ended tonight with the blu-ray movie which looks much better than the up convert on my blu-ray player.

I still love the Basehart version and have a long list for this weekend. We are expecting snow and I will be camped out with my favorite Voyage episodes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Looks like the Frost Men for me today on a very snowy Chicago Morning. I envy my friend Harry in Florida. But remember there was that first season Voyage episode of snow in Florida so you never know Harry.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
With LIS coming out in HD of course questions are now coming out about the other Irwin Allen series.

I think if it sells well Voyage and Time Tunnel could be next. I would put down the cash whatever the cost for both series.

On my new TV the Time Tunnel control looks great. I see much more detail and the colors are beautiful. I even asked for an impartial opinion because when you buy a new TV friends want to see it. I said be honest and the consensus was both Voyage and TT look brilliant. I was going to go get my neighbor whose is one of those friends that will tell you like it is. I just was not going to have him tread over here in over 12 feet of snow at 10 below.

Frost men was cool. Yes I know dumb way to say it. The Frost Men complex blew me away. The detail on them and on Basehart during close ups was great. I thought what would blu-rays look like.

Off topic. My BDs look just as the man at Best Buy said they would look great! Marlilyn Monroe singing Diamond Are A Girls Best Friend was the first for me to see and then the movie Laura.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks