What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Dont know why-but Ive always been fascinated by the design of the sub-especailly the movie and season one.
You and me both. I love the manta ray design of the Seaview. Also the thing I remember most of the interior was the missile tracking system. I know that had been used on other movies, notably Hedison's The Fly but I always remembered it flashing.

I am glad that they're going to be doing some work on

cleaning up the prints. This is going to be a better

bargain than LIS. $59.98 per season for cleaned up prints.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The only out-of-kilter thing was the missle room- most nuclear subs carry 16 Polaris missiles-and even in shots overhead, you can see that Seaview has 16 or 20 missle hatches. But I guess Irwin could only afford 4-maybe he could have used mirrors or something...

Interestingly, if you watch the film where they are in the minefield, you will note some sort of indentation, or cupping at the outer edge of the front "wings" you never see those again-some sort of steerage? Not even on the official Seaview blueprints...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm one of those people sensitive to the PAL speedup, and therefore wouldn't want a European version of these, even if the seasons were combined into one.

David Hedison has one of those voices that is easily and fatally distorted to Chipmunk-like status with any speed-up. I didn't care for the Sci-Fi Channel airings that were sped up either.

No, I'll wait and be patient for the less than two months till the US release of Volume 1. We must be getting close to artwork time.

Harry

JeffT.

Deceased Member
VoyageTTBOTS_S1V1.jpg
TimeTunnel_Vol1.jpg

Look! Look! Will you please LOOK?!
Now that's more like it!
At last I have something positive to report to devout fans of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68).
I like this packaging so much that I'm even willing to overlook that fact that the Flying Sub didn't appear until this classic 1960s SF series' second season (1965-66).
Well now we all know just which Irwin Allen (June 12th, 1916 - November 02nd, 1991) DVD release is going to do better...right?!
How can anyone (possibly) resist this (fantastic) packaging design?
Too bad TIME TUNNEL fans we beat you fair-and-square on this!
Do VOYAGE fans feel better now? I sure do and how!
Thank you 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment and I apologize for all the (reprehensibly) nasty things that I've said (and thought) about you!
Seriously thought it's really too bad that something similar couldn't have been (fittingly) done for THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) as well.
Jeff T.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Nice cover art for Voyage. Yes, I wish the TT cover had been better but the important thing is that they're both coming on DVD. I too have waited a long time for both of these classics.
Happy New Year, HTF'ers and best wishes to all for a great '06. "More classic releases for '06" (I hope).
JeffT: May the Invaders land for you in '06 :D

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A couple of hours ago, I saw Jeff's pictures of the VOYAGE cover art, and read his enthusiastic post.

I then went to Amazon.com in the US, which showed TIME TUNNEL to be #364 in rank, and VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA to be #1,378 in rank.

As I was about to make this very post, my computer mysteriously rebooted (silver aliens, methinks), preventing me from providing the above information.

Now that I'm back up and running, I see that Amazon has put up new "hourly" rankings, placing TIME TUNNEL up one notch to #363, and a big jump for VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA up to #1,135.

I fully understand that VOYAGE's release date is a month later than TIME TUNNEL, making it a less-urgent pre-purchase. TIME TUNNEL is due in just 24 days from today, with VOYAGE following in 52 days from today, 28 days from TIME TUNNEL's launch.

I'm not really one for putting the two series in any kind of competition - either one will outsell the other or they'll sell in equal numbers. It doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that THEY WILL BE SELLING! It's been a long wait for fans of both series - and a time to rejoice for all of us. Hopefully the transfers will allow us to continue to be excited!

Harry

MattHR

Screenwriter
From a graphic-design standpoint, the cover for TT blows away Voyage. The simple, yet striking, Saul Bass-inspired graphic for TT is very attention-grabbing. (Did Saul Bass design the actual main titles for the show? It sure looks like his work). The Voyage cover seems to be a random frame-grab, with little attention paid to design. The fact that the flying sub appears on the cover, but nowhere in the actual season, makes this seem even more like a hack-job. While it's not terrible, it really should be more representative of the season by not featuring the sub as its focal point. Of course, neither design may end up being the final cover used.

I'm a fan of all things Irwin Allen (with no clear favorite), so I'll be picking up all IA DVDs released. As a fan of the shows, and nice cover design, I always appreciate the effort the studios put into their packaging. It's nice when the packaging complements the content, which is a sign the designer is also a fan of the show (something lately lacking on a few DVD sets). I'm just glad to have the shows finally coming to DVD, and I only hope the transfers are better than LIS.

One thing is clear from the cover designs of both TT and Voyage: Fox is definitely trying to score sales from consumers other than the loyal fanbase (can't blame them). Usually studios feature prominent cast members on the covers, but today's average consumer has no idea who the actors from these shows are. A group photo/collage of the cast wouldn't appeal to anyone other than the fanbase, so the use of the intriguing graphics should, at least, inspire the casual consumer to pick up the box wondering, "What's this?", and then, hopefully, purchase the set.

MattHR

Screenwriter
We should be counting our blessings that the covers aren't "floating head" shots
Agreed! Nothing worse than floating heads photo-shopped above a poorly air-brushed "action" scene. I'll take a simple, well-designed graphic over floating heads every time.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
What I would love to see intact are the previews of next week's episode. I do have a handful of Voyage vcds that do contain them and love themm But then Fox took took the Buffy flashbacks at the beginning so I doubt that they would leave these in either. Oh Well!!! Can't have Everything.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
To the DVD consumer out there who isn't familiar with either of these two Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series the packaging design is going to make all the difference in the world!
I (emphatically) disagree with the positive evaluation of the box art for THE TIME TUNNEL, VOLUME ONE 4-disc set...it sucks to High Heaven!
You must be the only one whom I've heard that actually likes it! It betrays that no effort was done in its drafting (and next to nothing was actually spent on it for that matter).
While the graphics for the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - FIRST SEASON, VOLUME ONE 4-disc set aren't nearly as good as say that for the upcoming THE RAT PATROL - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON 5-disc box set they're still far better than what was done for THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67). But one can only expect just so much when it comes to the DVD packaging. Some show more effort and imagination than others.
Speaking for myself it would have been great if Richard Basehart and David Hedison were also included on the packaging design as Mr. Basehart's casting in particular should be a key point in attracting interest in this DVD collection.
Perhaps there is a problem with some of these actors trying to claim royalties for the use of their likenesses on any such tv premiums.
But the design for the VOYAGE packaging illustrates what I've been saying about these 1960s SF tv series all along that they have definite appeal (and relevency) for the 21st Century tv viewer far more so than most tv titles that are being addressed here...and that includes THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes.
People threw in my face stuff like THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and DYNASTY which I saw both in the 20 dollar DVD discount bin at Wal Mart over the holidays and this particular retail store couldn't give them away!
As for the current Amazon.com sales rank (since you went to the trouble to verify it) you've already gone on record as stating that THE TIME TUNNEL is your favourite SF tv series of the Irwin Allen quartet (nothing wrong with that) but you just can't compare a (mere) 30 episodes to VOYAGE's infinitely more impressive catalogue of 110 presentations.
Besides the day is still young yet and things could change dramatically.
Jeff T.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
As for the current Amazon.com sales rank (since you went to the trouble to verify it) you've already gone on record as stating that THE TIME TUNNEL is your favourite SF tv series of the Irwin Allen quartet (nothing wrong with that) but you just can't compare a (mere) 30 episodes to VOYAGE's infinitely more impressive catalogue of 110 presentations.

Besides the day is still young yet and things could change dramatically.
All true. TIME TUNNEL is my favorite, but I gain nothing by the amount that any Irwin Allen set sells. My hopes are that TIME TUNNEL will see its full season release, and that we're not left hanging with just 15 episodes "in the can".

I am quite eager to immerse myself in the VOYAGE series, and will be there on release day to grab each set as it comes out.

But sure, TIME TUNNEL is a personal favorite, and I merely quoted the Amazon figures as a temporary "counter" to the figures you quoted above from Amazon in Canada. These figures fluctuate hourly, and it's likely that one pre-order can lift a lower-ranked title much higher in those hourly rankings.

I have no doubt Jeff, that your posting of the first image available of the new VOYAGE cover here in this thread prompted a couple of people to go and pre-order from Amazon.

And, finally, a Happy New Year to all of the Irwin Allen fans reading this thread, and to all members of the Home Theatre Forum for providing us this opportunity to discuss our passions. May 2006 bring us everything we want!

Harry

23 days to TIME TUNNEL

51 days to VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Voyage got a much stronger start in Amazon's rankings than

TT did so it's not surprising to see the numbers even out a little. However I do think Voyage will outsell TT by a small margin since TT was not as commercially succesful as

Voyage was. However I do hope it sells well enough to warrant finishing up the series since I know there are a number of TT fans out there.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
..and I still find it odd that despite being announced first-a year ago via flyers inside of FOX product in the UK, there is still not a word on any R2 release that Ive seen...

anyway, the cover is much better than Time Tunnel, but still-it looks as if they let student interns in the marketing/packaging dept at FOX design the covers...

---

>>Voyage got a much stronger start in Amazon's rankings than TT

I think overall, people will be more familiar with VTTBOTS, because it ran 4 seaasons, the movie itself is already out on disc, and of course both are re-run endlessly on cable.

I dont know, but I think with only 28 episodes, they must retire TT fairly often on cable, so it may be less visible to folks, whearas VOYAGE can run endlessly (almost like SEINFELD) before you see a repeated episode.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...teskey007a.jpg
Well if THE TIME TUNNEL - VOLUME ONE 4-disc set doesn't perform well it will be (entirely) due to its lousy packaging design...but I don't want to go over all that again!
It's done. It was a big mistake not to come up with box art that (more) accurately reflected this classic Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series and fans of THE TIME TUNNEL may just suffer from this blunder.
If the DVD release succeeds it will be solely on the strength the show's reputation...if it has one with the mass consumer out there.
Consider yourself fortunate that THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) only lasted a single season which should guarantee that the entire series will be marketed in two volumes.
I concur with my two colleagues that VOYAGE has received infinite more exposure in tv syndication (just like LOST IN SPACE) and you just can't expect THE TIME TUNNEL (or LAND OF THE GIANTS for that matter) to compete with it.
Reflecting on the VOYAGE packaging design I'm really pleased with it and I (personally) think that the DVD release will do very well indeed! Looking at the Flying Sub there is a definite majestic poetry and grandeur of undersea exploration that is impressively reflected. Yes I think most everybody will be eagerly snatching this DVD set off the retail store shelves.
I know that I will be!
If the VOYAGE collection lives up to all our expectations in (actual) quality then this discussion thread is going to go on for a good long time to come!
Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Pertaining to the (fine) VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - FIRST SEASON, VOLUME ONE box art which is a definite improvement and (far) more true to its source I can (well) understand and support 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment's intention to get this particular DVD series off to a strong start.
Whether it's the first season (1964-65) or the fourth season (1967-68) the Flying Sub is still a valid part of the VOYAGE mythos. In other words it is (generically) representative of the entire series rather than a single season.
Unlike apparently DYNASTY whose success (and main focal point of interest) seemingly solely depended upon the (auspicious) arrival of Joan Collins (or so it's been tiresomely stated here), VOYAGE did very well for an entire season without this particular piece of technical hardware and I think that this fact will be appreciated by those who purchase this (high demand) DVD from the very outset. It's inclusion on the packaging design was a good, sound tactical move! It demonstrates thought and interest in the show.
If we couldn't get the main cast members (Richard Basehart and David Hedison) included then at least Fox gave us the next best thing.
The 32 first year presentations of VOYAGE are so well done and esthetically satisfying (not to mention just how inexpensive this DVD set is in the first place) that I (really) don't think that anyone is going to be troubled (in the least) by its absense at all.
subjugator-flying-sub.jpg

Jeff T.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>> At least this design uses the proper VOYAGE "font"

---

Ive always wondered about that-Irwins shows always had a distinctive title font...

I remember as a kid trying to trace that and the TIME TUNNEL fonts because I thought they were so cool...

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Whether it's the first season (1964-65) or the fourth season (1967-68) the Flying Sub is still a valid part of the VOYAGE mythos. In other words it is (generically) representative of the entire series rather than a single season.
I agree, however, I for one would have preferred a B&W cover with the hardware particular to season one, i.e. the Seaview of S1 (different observation nose) with diving bell and mini-sub. It would have been cool to perhaps feature on the back side of the cover a collage of scenes from season one with various guest star shots (Nick Adams, Steve Ihnat and Lloyd Bochner, for example). Placing the FS-1 and Seaview in color on the cover, however helps to modernize the series--it's certainly true that these two vessels have such a timeless appeal, with their sleek and elegant lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks