What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Ed_City

Agent
Point-of-fact Peter Staddon, Senior Vice-President of Marketing and Promotion for 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has (infrequently) participated in some of the discussion threads himself
So, acting like a hard-on with all these threads is for the benefit of Peter Staddon? If anything, this stuff will just scare the suits away from the fans. Just chill dude.

It will all come out eventually. The hunt is more fun than the kill!

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
What he said. What I mean Jeff is that if your point and aim is to let them know you want the 'extraordinary' (which is pushing it a little bit, IMO) Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea released, then I think you've made it.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

"So, acting like a hard-on with all these threads is for the benefit of Peter Staddon??'--Ed City[/i]

In response to Ed City:

No, this is all done for my own benefit as an interested and concerned VOYAGE fan who's gotten impatient. For the record the frustration of fans of the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series is mounting. If necessary I'll be only too glad to provide quotes from other discussion forums to substantiate this!

As far as VOYAGE (or THE TIME TUNNEL and LAND OF THE GIANTS for that matter) eventually coming out on DVD is concerned I really hope that you're right on this. I sure want to believe it!

Hey! I'm not the only one making requests here and I reiterate that you (or anyone else for that matter) don't have to read all the message posts in this discussion forum.

As far as "scaring" away the so-called "suits" is concerned I can't speak with the absolute certainty that you apparently do but I hardly think that an individual in a position of responsibility (of a mega-comglomerate film and television entertainment giant) is easily intimidated.

I also find it laughable that an individual who professes to have (any) concern in proper online etiquette when it comes to communicating with a company executive so blantantly talks in the (smugly) sarcastical street-smart gargon and communicative tone that you do!

Now why don't you just chill down guy and stop making an issue out of absolutely nothing? I haven't said anything improper and haven't broken any rules here. Maybe the problem is that you're just too sensitive when it comes to participating in an open discussion forum!

Even better why don't you make your own message post here and let's see just how well it's received? Not that I'd (personally) bother to read it!

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

What I mean Jeff is that if your point and aim is to let them know you want the 'extraordinary' (which is pushing it a little bit, IMO) Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea released, then I think you've made it."--David Levy

Pushing it a little bit?

Consider the original unaired colour pilot version of "Eleven Days to Zero" (14/09/1964), the great series star casting of Richard Basehart (August 31st, 1914 - September 17th, 1984) and David Hedison, the exceptional lineup of distinguished featured guest-stars week-after-week, the remarkable visual effects (ie. the SSRN Seaview and The Flying Sub) that still brilliantly hold-up very well even by today's highly vaunted CGI standards and the dynamically breathtaking action-packed adventures....

I'm mean at its best VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF SEA (ABC 1964-68) puts what's generally (lamely) considered to be the very finest of tv nowadays to (pathetic) shame. Certainly the overwhelming entropic flow of dullness that's (relentlessly) flooding the DVD market.

Frankly I don't think that I've done this extraordinary SF tv series enough justice! Who can?

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

"I had a nice long conversation with Kevin Burns this morning. The 3rd season preview trailer topic was discussed. Kevin told me that ALL the third season previews will be included on both DVD sets along with a bunch of very cool bonus materials for both box sets. Fox basically used everything Kevin submitted to them but a few minor things. He says the prints look great and probably the best from the sets. So there you have it."--Ray Dutczak (Monday, December 27th, 2004).

It would seem that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment will indeed be providing all the next week previews (narrated by Dick Tufeld) for the upcoming LOST IN SPACE - SEASON TWO, VOLUME ONE 4-disc box set due out on March 1st, 2005 afterall at least according to Kevin Burns of Synthesis Entertainment that is!

Also it's now be announced just what special (bonus) extras will be included with the upcoming LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON - DVD COLLECTION coming out on March 28th, 2005 and presumably with later LOST IN SPACE, Season Two, Volume Two 4-disc box set (tentatively) scheduled for a June 2005 release date.

The special extras will include:

3 interviews with Bill Mumy,

3 interview clips with Jonathan Harris,

Dick Tufeld's "Next Week on Lost In Space" teasers,

Programme interstitials,

The Original CBS Television Network bumpers and tags.

I've also come to understand that Fox International in the U.K and the parent concern in the U.S. operate completely independently of one another which explains just why the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series may be released aboard first.

The size of the retail market has absolutely nothing to do with this determination so if we're to see VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) released in North America (the U.S. and Canada) it will solely depend upon what 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment decides to do about it over here irregardless of whether this classic 1960s SF tv favourite is released in the U.K.

In response to David Levy's previous post:

Never underestimate the determination and resolve of SF fans when it comes to their favourite tv series in the genre.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"According to the 'Coming Soon' section of the FoxTVDVD.com consumer website, Lost In Space - Season 3, Volume 2 will be released on June 14th. This "second half-season" release goes with the first half-season (which releases in March), and together they conclude the classic series. Our thanks to reader Dillon Gonzales for tipping us off to the update at Fox's site. Stay tuned and we'll have more information once the official announcement is released to the press."--David Lambert.
Finally after an indeterminably long wait some (possible) light at the end of the tunnel!
Well I (personally) went to the FoxTVDVD.com website myself and didn't see anything there that indicated the LOST IN SPACE, SEASON THREE, VOLUME TWO 4-disc box set would (definitely) be released on June 14th, 2005 but assuming that this information is indeed correct then that leaves half the remaining year (2005) for 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment to (now) turn its attention toward the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70) for a possible DVD release in North America (the U.S. and Canada).
Which one will it be?
Jeff T.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well I (personally) went to the FoxTVDVD.com website myself and didn't see anything there that indicated the LOST IN SPACE, SEASON THREE, VOLUME TWO 4-disc box set would (definitely) be released on June 14th
< wiping tears from eyes that resulted from reading a glaring mix of regular and bold type, compounded by a flickering green logo nearby >

Go to the site. At the bottom click "View All TV DVD Titles". In the resulting pull-up list, click "Coming Soon" at the top. Scroll down; it's third-from-last.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
David Lambert:
Without bombarding you with mixed regular/bold text and flashing green logos;), what are your sources saying (or what does your "gut" say) about the possibility of a "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" release in the second half of '05 (or beyond for that matter)?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David Lambert:
Without bombarding you with mixed regular/bold text and flashing green logos ;), what are your sources saying (or what does your "gut" say) about the possibility of a "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" release in the second half of '05 (or beyond for that matter)?
My gut says we ought to have a new HTF chat with Peter Staddon and ask! :D

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

"My gut says we ought to have a new HTF chat with Peter Staddon and ask!"--David Lambert

My intellect certainly concurs with this (apt) proposal!

Discounting my VOYAGE discussion thread (deemed too brash by some) others have made similar inquiries about VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1969-70) as possible DVD releases and Peter Staddon hasn't seen fit to respond to any of them!

These Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series are still very popular...and (potentially) profitable and should by now be of serious and definite consideration as prospective DVD tv series merchandising.

But in the wake of the (near) completion of the LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) disc sets it would be interesting to hear what Mr. Staddon at present has to say about the other Irwin Allen tv franchises and their future on DVD.

I think that at the very least we're all entitled to this.

Jeff T.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bear in mind, Jeff, that Peter Staddon hasn't posted in threads at HTF for a loooooong time now.
TSoD is going to try to make some independent inquiries about these titles; you're certainly not the only person asking about them. Regularly. :)
Gonna go get some Visine now. If we find out anything, we'll post it as news at the site.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I distinctly remember Mr. Staddon answering a question about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in a previous chat. He specifically said, at that time, that while he personally had fond memories of the show, it's release would more than likely have to come from a third party "rent out" (think Image, Shout, etc).

I'm sure things can change, and I hope that's the case, because I'd dearly love to see VOYAGE released. But after what Mr. Staddon said in that chat, I'm not holding my breath. Heck, VOYAGE scored 2nd in that Fox poll from a year ago, and yet still no hint of it.

Gary "while TIME TUNNEL and LAND OF THE GIANTS were fun, they can't compare to those first 2 seasons of VOYAGE which were marked by really good action/drama stories" O.

P.S. Steve O., please tell Rush I hope to get back on a regular schedule and see "the family" soon. And take care yourself, buddy.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
- "...two great shows from my childhood!! A lot will depend on how Lost in Space works out. If we cannot bring them out there might be the possibility of licensing them to a 3rd party who will bring them out. It would be good to see them on DVD."
That's what Peter Staddon said at the time (about a year ago). Don't think Image or Shout!, though. Fox and Anchor Bay has a deal for all AB discs to be manufactured via Fox's relationships with the plants, and circulated through Fox's distribution channel to get merchandise to retailers. As a result, Fox has a relationship with them which sent Doogie Howser, M.D. to AB, along with films like Modern Problems, License to Drive, Project X, Dutch, Rhinestone, Mischief, Turk 182, Moving Violations, Damnation Alley, Eyewitness and assisted AB to get movie properties that Fox distributed like The Entity and The Pirate Movie.

If a 3rd party will get the Irwin Allen TV shows, I betcha anything it's Anchor Bay. Time will tell, though.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Put me down for at least Season 1 and 2 of VTTBOTS-after that it got silly-
hopefully in complete season sets-
I have the Japan Laserdisc edition of Season 1, or the first half-and will say that they will need remastering if not restoring...
but since it is a part of FOX's heritage and history-they will have to scrub up the negatives sooner or later, before they go bad...
oh-and am I the only one who doesnt like the new design of the Seaview started very early in the second season?
Season one has so many lovely detailed close ups of the largest model (there were 3 or 4)....

JeffT.

Deceased Member
NoseControlRm-2.jpg

"Next week Admiral Nelson and the Men of the Seaview challenge the powers of an Alchemist! Victor Jory guest-stars in Fires of Death next week's exciting, thrill-packed episode on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in colour on this television channel!"--Ray Didsbury's stirring narration for the next week preview from the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) episode entitled "Fires of Death" (17/09/1967) written by Arthur Weiss and directed by Jerry Hopper.
Well I'm a devout VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA fan myself and as such would naturally purchase all 110 hour lone episodes (79 including the unaired tv pilot of "Eleven Days to Zero" produced in colour).
For me it's interesting to see this classic 1960s SF tv series go through its various phases of development and while the first two seasons are undeniably VOYAGE's best there were still episodes of (considerable) interest produced in the third (1966-67) and fourth seasons as well.
VOYAGE was one of the first SF tv series to be produced in colour from the mid-1960s and pioneered many extraordinary visual effects to be seen on television (in both black-and-white and colour).
Richard Basehart (August 31st, 1914 - September 17th, 1984) and David Hedison and company were always consistently good throughout the entire series' run and it's during the latter two season in particular where (priceless) comedic performances from this extraordinary (and delightful) cast of players are much more in evidence over the first two seasons giving some added dimension (and variety) to their more (typically) stalwart, grim and intense characterizations.
In regards to the two versions of the SSRN Seaview while I like them both I feel that that the more streamlined and refined version introduced in the second season (1965-66) complete with the four larger observation windows, the loading bay for the Flying Sub with its retractible sliding hatch sections, the (even further enhanced) flamboyantly designed stablizing tail fins and rear propulsion engines is far more advanced and dynamic looking than the (earlier) eight windowed designed submarine (originally) from the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (1961) theatrical motion picture and provided a necessary upgrading of this extraordinary futuristic undersea research vessel.
One thing is for certain that collectively speaking the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA universe with its now-classic characters is justing as interesting and impressive as that of any other SF tv series and worthy of repeated visits and rediscovery.
Lastly I feel that VOYAGE would do an outstanding performance in DVD retail sales on a global scale and now with the LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) tv series DVD collection near completion (this coming June 14th, 2005) hopefully 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has already turned its focus of attention toward the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series franchises for possible release sometime later this year.
Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

"Fans should be very happy to see some of those releases planned. The big ones are THE TIME TUNNEL, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, HILL STREET BLUES and the third season of NYPD BLUE (see, we told you it was coming)."--Gord Lacey.

According to TV SHOWS ON DVD the current 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment TV-DVD catalogue lists the following titles for upcoming release (including the welcomed inclusion of two in particular):

* M*A*S*H Season 9 - December 2005
* MURDER ONE Season 2 - November 2005
* REMINGTON STEEL Season 2 - November 2005
* 24 Season 4 - December 2005
* KING OF THE HILL Season 5 - November 2005
* REBA Season 2 - December 2005
* THE SHIELD Season 4 - Winter 2006 (depends on the premiere of season 5)
* NYPD BLUE Season 3 - January 2006
* SIMPSONS Season 7 - December (Fox has told us this may move) 2005
* ALIEN NATION - Coming Soon
* HILL STREET BLUES - Coming Soon
* OVER THERE - Coming Soon
* SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND - Coming Soon
* THE TIME TUNNEL - Coming Soon
* VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - Coming Soon
* WHITE SHADOW - Coming Soon

I must point out to any skeptics among you (and I've had my definite difference of opinion with a few in this discussion forum here specifically on the topic pertaining to the meritable quality of the Irwin Allen produced SF tv shows) that even Mr. Lacey himself acknowledges (in the provided quote posted above) that both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) are among the major releases listed in this most extraordinary announcement for which Fox Home Entertainment (and no doubt Mr. Peter Staddon) has our undying gratitude for.

While an actual release date wasn't included it will most probably be sometime in 2006 but I can certainly wait for something special like VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL to be sure.

Now if only 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment will utilize superior, fully restored, pristine source elements taken from the original vault stored 35 mm print masters with all the original bumpers, next week previews or (in the case of THE TIME TUNNEL) the cliffhanger endings included complete and intact.

Don't forget about the original unaired pilot versions for both these classic Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series as well a la the complete first season (1965-66) DVD release of LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68)!

Is this asking (or expecting) too much from Fox?

Anyway 2006 is certainly shaping up to be a banner year for tv series released on DVD! If these are but the only two tv show DVD collections of interest to me (personally) in the new year I certainly won't complain and I'm thoroughly satisfied and elated about the prospect of having both these two incredible SF television classics made readily accessible to their fans at long last (as I'm sure a good many others will be as well).

Thank you 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment (and TV SHOWS ON DVD) for the great news!

All that remains to be said is BRING ON VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA AND THE TIME TUNNEL TO DVD!!!!!

YAHOO!

Jeff T.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I have nothing to go on but I would think that Voyage would

be released in the first quarter of 2006. The Lost In Space

episodes were released about 6-8 months apart. I would think

that Voyage would have first priority since it was Allen's

longest running series.

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the eye but I wish that

Voyage and Time Tunnel could be shipped to third parties like Anchor Bay or Image. I will buy it no matter what but

I would hope they would get better treatment from Fox than LIS got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks