What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If hd transfers exist for Voyage, then my guess is the only way we'll ever see a regionA bluray release would be if a third party company releases it, such as Olive, Kino, etc ...

Same might also be said of Land of The Giants, Time Tunnel, etc ... if hd transfers exist.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
baff3da9430b075b46fb43393f42994f.jpg

"We were before LOST IN SPACE, STAR TREK, THE TIME TUNNEL and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. I think we were the first series of this type and we had a great audience. At the time I was originally on VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, I was a little depressed and didn't like myself in that role. Then, I watched the DVDs and I was amazed at the quality of the reproduction and I really got hooked on the show. I was really entertained and watching to see what was going to happen next. I really looked at myself objectively and thought I did a really good job on this series. Our cast really had a great chemistry and that worked for VOYAGE. When I watch the DVDs now I'm really proud of the work we did here. I kind of had my nose down on this when I began in the '60s but now I think they are wonderful."--David Hedison.

Karl's message posting admirably reaffirms just how topical and germane a forward thinking (especially in the technology depicted) a SF-premised tv series like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) really is.

Space Travel, Time Travel, Exploration of the Earth's Oceanic Frontiers, Extraterrestrial Contact. Political Intrigue. Nuclear Brinksmanship. As David Hedison said VOYAGE was a true pioneer in all of these aspects which still engage and fascinate.

VOYAGE (and THE TIME TUNNEL) were well served on "standard" DVD but now it's about high time to give serious thought in advancing toward the blu-ray medium. It doesn't mean that a blu-ray release has to be done tomorrow. But start (abstractly) considering the viability of it and just how to approach such an effort.

I can (certainly) wait. Because I believe it will be done in my lifetime. And I have many such prospective irons also burning in the fire.

These shows have been remastered and are primed. All the hard work has already been accomplished.

These SF-premised visionary entertainment cannot forever be held back languishing in limbo and repressed.

Dawn.jpg

Jeff T.

;)

Last edited:

Duane Alford

Second Unit
If it ever gets re-released I'd upgrade. I bought the volume sets on the flipper discs, put the first disc in, and 5 minutes into the very first episode, it froze up. :angry:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm assuming that Fox took the effort to remaster Voyage into HD for the DVD release after the fiasco they had with Lost In Space, right? If that in indeed the case, then at least Fox wouldn't have to go through the trouble of an HD remaster for a possible Blu-ray release. The DVDs definitely look like down-rezzed HD to my eyes.

Sadly however, considering the fact that getting Fox to release the final season of the show on DVD was equivalent to pulling teeth, my hopes are pretty low for a Blu-ray release. The Blu-ray of Lost In Space was justified due to Fox bungling the initial DVD release, plus the fact that Lost In Space is likely the most well-known (A.K.A. more $ for Fox) of the four Irwin Allen series to boot.

If a Blu-ray of Voyage were ever released, I'd love to see the "Next Week's Episode" trailers reinstated back to the end of the episodes. It's one of the things I enjoyed so much about the early home video releases of Star Trek, and something that has been so mishandled with pretty much every DVD release in the past 10 years.
The HD (re-)Mastering of LIS was financed by Sheila Allen (Irwin Allen's widow) as it is owned by Space Productions

e34033d68ad490f9b0d0c1d05ce96117.jpg

... but FOX put a great deal of effort into the extras for the bluray...

The mastering was done to keep the show more "current" as they created 16X9 versions for MeTV etc...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If it ever gets re-released I'd upgrade. I bought the volume sets on the flipper discs, put the first disc in, and 5 minutes into the very first episode, it froze up. :angry:

(More generally).

At this point, I just assume Fox has already "washed their hands" of their previous double-sided flipper disc dvd sets.

The only hope of ever seeing Voyage (or Time Tunnel or Land of The Giants) being re-released on single-sided discs in region1, is either Fox outsourcing their tv shows to a bottom-feeder like Mill Creek, and/or the show being released on bluray.

(With that being said).

One upcoming set to watch closely to figure out Fox's current attitude about flipper discs, is the upcoming Bones complete series set (being released on June 13, 2017). If the Bones season 1 dvd set in the upcoming Bones complete series set is done as single-sided discs, then there might be some hope that other previous Fox flipper disc sets might be re-released as single-side discs. (The original Bones season 1 dvd set was done as four double-sided flipper discs). If not, then we can assume Fox doesn't give a damn anymore.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
voyage_uk_complete_set.jpg

I (personally) never had any trouble with my VOYAGE or TIME TUNNEL "standard" DVDs. Which are still being marketed and doubtlessly successful.

It may well have come down to the specific players as the earlier DVD players have been substantially upgraded to accommodate these condensed discs. Albeit the first season (1955-56) of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (CBS 1955-61, NBC 1961-62) was a total (playback) disaster to be sure.

The idea of reducing the number of playback discs is sound but "standard" DVD technology is limited. And it's time to move beyond this. Speaking for myself I've long since abandoned buying anything in "standard" DVD. I just don't do it. Even hear I'm only referring to the film and tv discussion forums that are exclusively blu-ray.

I'd like to see a lot more "bonus" material include such as the next week previews for seasons two, three and four.

Anyway, like everything else we've all been requesting, we just have to keep doggedly hammering away on this with the deciding powers-that-be.

When I make reference to "irons in the fire" I'm referring to VOYAGE, THE TIME TUNNEL, THE OUTER LIMITS, THE AVENGERS (in a much better handled edition) and of course THE INVADERS! All the great stuff!

latest

Jeff T.

;)

Last edited:

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Its been somewhat quiet here. In the meantime I will show you something we all have missed while viewing the Voyage episode "Dead Men's Doubloons".

This link will pull up the episode:

Advance to about 12:19 minutes into the episode and pause it there and look at the shot then hit play and let it run till 12:24 and then pause it again.

In my last viewing of this episode I had never noticed the fact that the four missile tubes in this scene were not positioned together as a group of four like in every other episode.

If I knew how to freeze these shots and insert them here like Mark, Jeff and many of the rest of you I would have done that.

I wonder what prompted this change in the Missile Room set for this scene. Its not like they were in the way for the plot of this episode. What do you think prompted this. I wonder of David Hedison would know why this happened.

Karl

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Director Sutton Roley was known for his imaginative shot blocking and frequently moved the set for the sale of an interesting shot. That's probably why it was changed, to frame the action for that shot. It was a long take, not normal for Voyage but something Roley liked to do.

50 years on, I don't think Hedison would remember, even if he was in on the decision. Also, they changed the sets often on Voyage. The arms locker was wherever it was convenient for that week. As was the Fail Safe panel and the Seaview diagrams. Everything was arbitrary.

Great spotting though.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Don%2BGordon%2B(TZ).png

Another distinguished VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) alumni who passed away this year was veteran screen and television actor Don Gordon (November 13th, 1926 - April 24th, 2017). Mr. Gordon appeared in the excellent third season (1966-67) segment "Deadly Waters" (30/10/1966).

Don Gordon also made (similarly) memorable guest appearances on THE TWILIGHT ZONE ("The Five of Us Are Dying" and "The Self-Improvement of Salvador Ross"), THE OUTER LIMITS ("The Invisibles" and "Second Chance"), THE FUGITIVE ("Tug of War") and THE INVADERS ("The Trial").

This is the distinction (or rather one of the telling distinctions) about both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) in their overall superior guest star casting over the other two "juvenile" oriented Irwin Allen (June 12th, 1916 - November 02nd, 1991) produced 1960s SF tv series.

It's high time that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment, Kevin Burns and heaven knows who else involved started fronting for the real classic Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series and get these things minted on quality blu-ray releases.

Don-Gordon.png

:unsure:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing about Don Gordon's appearance on Voyage as Kowalski's brother that I always found funny was how the script went out of its way to avoid giving us Seaman Kowalski's first name! Gordon just calls him "Kid" the entire time.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
And, of course, Stanley Kowalski is a character from A Streetcar Named Desire. :)

Deadly Waters is one of the best episodes of the third season and a great one overall. A fantastic story about character, a good showcase for Del Monroe and some great action with the flying sub, which is also a plus. Basehart really sells the speech about courage. Even the stock cues from other episodes and films is well placed. This is the show firing on all cylinders.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Two posts have just been removed from this thread for content that was political in nature.

The rules of the HTF have been clear since it's inception 20 years ago:

4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show. We stress, however, that such discussions are carefully monitored and will be moderated if it appears that any participant is using this narrow exception to introduce a broader political or religious discussion than is warranted by the movie or television show under discussion. Also, anyone who has not seen a particular movie or television show is disqualified from discussing its political and/or religious content under this rule.

Color me surprised that political opinions would be expressed in a thread dedicated to the TV show Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but there you go.

Unfortunately, non-political material in those posts was also removed, but I do not have time now to comprehensively edit the posts. Feel free to re-post the non-offensive material.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so after todays huge news, with Disney, I don't ever see this as happening, although I wish it was. That said, now I desperately need to pick up lost in space, because once it goes out of print, I don't see the Mouse House rushing to bring that back! I miss Walt's Disney, not the monster that it has become.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks