What's new

When are covers preferred over the originals? (1 Viewer)

RickGr

Second Unit
Beatles:

Mr. Postman
You Really got a Hold on Me
Roll Over Bethoven
Chains
Rock and Roll Music
Long Tall Sally

and some others I cannot recall right now

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I am quite a David Bowie fan, but I like the Nirvana cover of The Man Who Sold the World better than the original, Nirvana had a few good covers actually.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Another little-heard cover...

LeRoux's version of the Stephen Stills written "Rock & Roll Woman" from their 1982 album [/b]Last Safe Place[/b] (the album that the minor hit, "Nobody Said It Was Easy (looking for the lights)" came from).

I had not heard the original '67 Buffalo Springfield version until a few week ago and it sounded so amateurish compared the what LeRoux did to it. The basic structure and arrangement is pretty much the same, but Jeff Pollard and the band just play and sing it much better.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of covers I prefer over the originals.

"I Will"
- I prefer Alison Krauss' version over the Beatles

"All Along The Watchtower"
- Definitely Hendrix over Dylan, but given the large number of covers of Dylan's songs stands as a testament to Dylan's skill as a songwriter.....unless Dylan got them from somebody else. :)

"Cocaine"
- Clapton's version is tops

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think my favorite non jazz cover right now is Isaac Hayes' version of Something by the Beatles. He gives it the fully produced epic soul treatment and, like all his best stuff, it just drips with cool.

I'm not that interested in straight covers. Doesn't add anything. Fun live, but that's about it.

I can't stand rock bands covering soul or blues. It's like taking fine wine and pouring sugar into it. Blech.

Roy Orbison is style, hence the greatness of O Pretty Woman. David Lee Roth is great for VH's stuff, but he absolutle kills the song. Same with Dancin' in the Street. That only works as a soul tune, not when lame-o white boys like Roth or Jagger and Bowie (!) try to do it.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I don't generally as a rule like covers of Beatles songs, it's nearly impossible to make them sound better. But I didn't know that Alison Krauss did a cover of "I Will", I'll have to find that.
Secondly I like DMB's version(s) of "All Along the Watchtower" more than I like Hendrix or Dylan.
SRV's cover of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is far better than Hendrix. (Actually Stevie is just a better overall guitarist then Jimi imho.)
I like the Stones version of "Not Fade Away" but overall I like Buddy's original. Actually any covers of those songs by Buddy Holly and the Everly Brothers redone by Linda Rondstat in the 70s kill me... I hate them and they should be destroyed.

As you can tell I'm not much of a cover person, I prefer the original, the sound is usually better and the intent and idea behind the song is still there, when you start to do cover songs you tend to loose the meaning or whatever, if the song even had any meaning.
That being said I do think that Dream Theater could cover just about anything and it would sound amazing.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music Jealous Guy, and I love their version of Smoke Gets in Your Eyes too

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Another cover that most here will have never heard of :D:

Seinbenburgen's cover of "Jawbreaker", as originally performed by Judas Priest. Not better, but just as good.

I think I'm in a minority here...;)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Jimi Hendrix - "All Along the Watchtower" (Dylan) The best cover of a song....ever

The Clash - "I Fought the Law" (Bobby Fuller)

Seal - "Fly Like an Eagle" (Steve Miller)

Anthrax - "She" (Kiss)

Faith No More - "Easy" (Commodores)

Gary Moore - "Shapes of Things" (Yardbirds?)

Racer X - "Moonage Daydream" (Bowie)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Dead Kennedys "I fought The Law" (The Clash, and Bobby Fuller)

My favorite cover, not better but great is Nina Gordons cover of "Straight Outta Compton" by NWA. It's only the first verse, not the whole song, but it's great to hear gangst rap played by a woman on an acoustic guitar! It's funny on the first listen, but quite tragic on repeate listenings. She also does "18 and Life" by Skidrow :emoji_thumbsup:

You can download it on her website.

Brad M

Second Unit
Oingo Boingo - I Am The Walrus :emoji_thumbsup:
Jeff Healey Band - Stuck In The Middle With You :emoji_thumbsup:
Van Halen - Won't Get Fooled Again (live w/Sammy) :emoji_thumbsup:

I can't stand Korn's remake of Another Brick In The Wall.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I really like Jose Feliciano's covers to Light My Fire and Califonia Dreamin', but can't say that they are better than the originals, just a different interpretation.

Has anyone heard Jimmy Webb's CD Ten Easy Pieces. It is technically him covering his own songs, but I espaially like his interpretation of Galveston.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Heres a cover that will bother any fans of the original.

Mindless Self Indulgence covering Rush's "Tom Sawyer"

I love the A Perfect Circle Emotive covers CD, but I'd consider those more reinterpretations of the originals than just covers. (Case in point: compare their "Imagine" to John Lennon's).

RobertW

Supporting Actor
can't say i like them better, but these covers i like. most covers i hate, either because the artist does an almost exact copy of the original(why bother?), or they completely butcher it trying to do it differently. the best come somewhere between these two extremes. but these i like:

The Waterboys have done a bunch of great covers. Sweet Thing just might be better than Van's original, but they've also covered his When The Healing Has Begun, and also Prince's Purple Rain

of course, Patti Smith's Because The Night. and Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light.

The Clash's Pressure Drop

Tricia Yearwood's version of Bruce's Sad Eyes.

Uncle Tupelo's Give Back The Key To My Heart.

Richard Lloyd's cover of the 13th Floor Elevators' Fire Engine.

The Replacement's Black Diamond

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks