When a reissue of a DVD comes along and you have the old version, what do you do...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar, May 19, 2002.

1. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

with the old one?.

So far i haven´t brought any reissues.

But when i see them coming I don´t buy the old issues.

But I keep them for comparsion or i sell them.

Also it is, depending on how worthy the reissue is.

2. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I've only replaced one so far (Se7en), and I sold the old one to a buddy of mine who didn't care that it was a flipper.

3. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Well i certainly buy a reissue depending on the quality and specs treatment i feel that a film deserves.

An example of that could be "The Fugitive" which is now a modern classic and it deserved something special.

But a film like "The Fifth Element" which i love, but i don´t think it deserves any kind of special treatment.

Also i won´t buy the Re-issue LOTR. Because when a film has an already special treatment, like in the August 6th edition, i am satisfied.

But who knows?! I might end up buying it. If it has a DTS track, also the same will be to the Pearl Harbor Vista Series disc.

And the list goes on and on...

4. FredCampbell

FredCampbell Agent

I've got several friends who have launched their own dvd collections in the last year or so, largely as a result of my influence, I'm afraid. So, when a reissue emerges of a film that I already own on dvd, my altruistic side kicks in and I simply give the old version to one of these people. I've already got a couple of people eyeing my Canadian dvd of PULP FICTION.

5. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

I do the same, Fred. I'm starting to think that a nominal fee (like $1/disc) to rummage through my box of replaced discs might not be too bad.

6. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

What i will do is put the old copy on ebay several weeks before the newer one is released.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I use Ebay. I am selling my current version of Star Trek II and expect to get a reasonable price for it where the upgrade to the new version will only cost me 5-7 bucks.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My family members love it when I upgrade to a newer edition.

M.

9. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

So far the only re-issue disc that I've had to buy is Tombstone: Vista Series. Usually I hear about the re-issue just in time. [​IMG]

10. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

I have always received more than I paid for it for any Region 1 DVD I have sold on ebay (almost all of which have been replaced by SE's).
    However, I checked and the going price on Region 2 DVDs of Mad Max plummeted when the Region 1 SE was released, so I still have that sitting around...

11. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

I'm a sucker for re-releases:

Speed

Armageddon

GoldenEye

12. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I'll buy a re-release depending on the title. A lot of titles I'm fine with the first release. When I do buy a re-release I'll either keep the old one, if the new one is a different cut, etc. or I'll give away/trade it if there is no reason to keep it.

13. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

ditto. I already have more DVDs than time so I'd be hard pressed to justify paying money to get an improved version of a movie I already own. Se7en is like one of my all time favorite films and I didn't even consider making the upgrade. If that one doesn't tempt me then I don't know what will.

If I ever did get the urge to upgrade I would probably sell the old one for $5 to a local video store that carries used DVDs.

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

It really depends on the movie. If I want whatever is on the re-issue, I'll buy...but most of the time no.

I've replaced JFK, Dogma, Almost Famous...and soon Traffic. Most of the time I just sell my old version, so it's no biggie.

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    EBay. I've put 34 DVDs up there, and sold every one without a problem. I've got another batch of 12 going up in the next couple of weeks.
    Yes, I do buy too many reissues!! [​IMG]

16. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I used to sell them on Ebay, but now that my sisters have DVD players, they get the hand-downs [​IMG] A few examples have been The Sixth Sense, Boogie Nights, The Rock, From Dusk till Dawn, Notorius. They love free DVDs.

17. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    I'll upgrad if the old one wasn't anamorphic, or extra special, like...
    Total Recall
    Terminator 2
    Princess Bride
    The Die Hards
    etc.
    I won't do Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, ST:2. Anamorphics are already there.
    I stack 'em up and take a gym bag full of them to work, send out e-mails saying "DVD BLOWOUT! $10". 8 hours later, I go home with an empty bag, and a wad of cash.
    I love those suc...err my co-workers.[​IMG]

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

19. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm buying Memento and Traffic. I'll likely sell my old ones to CD Exchange. I've already repurchased Willy Wonka and Interview with the Vampire. I plan on buying the Iron Giant again when it comes out.

I do intend to grab 2 editions of Lord of the Rings. As the original film won't be included on the second edition, I'll be keeping both.

20. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I have three discs that I've upgraded (Die Hard 1 and 2 (R2), The Fugitive R2), and I've tried selling them to my mates. But every time they say they're interested and then at the last minute decide not to buy... I suppose I'll have to Ebay them...