What's new

Wheatback pennies (1 Viewer)

Al_S

Second Unit
Anybody know anything about wheatback pennies? Is a 1935 wheatback penny worth more than a penny? I found one in my change that I have.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't think they are anywhere near rare enough to be more valuable than any other penny. The Lincoln penny was introduced in 1909, with the Lincoln Memorial replacing the sheaves of wheat (which were themselves a carry-over from the previous, "Indian Head" penny) in 1959. So the current design has been in place for a little over half the period in which the coin has been circulating. The typical lifespan of a circulating coin is only about 30 years, but obviously the stamped metal can last a lot longer than that, and I still see "wheat" pennies all the time.

Regards,

Joe

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i found a wheat penny and checked to see if it was worth anything. Turns out it is worth twice it's value. A whopping $0.02!

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Ill buy that wheat penny off you for .3 cents........

but you have to pay shipping......oh and I want it insured.:emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
How much are those "special" quarters worth? I forgot exactly, but there is one year of quarter that is made out of another type of metal, might even be silver.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I the most valuable coins are mistakes that make it out into circulation.

Just within the past year or two, some of the new state quarters made it out with the backside printed upside down. If you notice on all coins, if you flip them vertically, the back will be right side up. Apparently these quarters are very rare and I believe are worth hundreds to collectors.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The Lincoln penny was introduced in 1909, with the Lincoln Memorial replacing the sheaves of wheat (which were themselves a carry-over from the previous, "Indian Head" penny) in 1959.
Actually, the "Indian Head" had an oak leaf wreath on the reverse.

Incidentally, using the term "penny" when speaking of these coins to a numismatist would be like calling a DVD a "video" when speaking to an HTF enthusiast. They're "cents." A "penny" is an English coin.

And it's not really an Indian. It's an allegorical representation of Liberty wearing an Indian headdress. The model was the daughter of the coin's designer.

God, I love didacticism.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
*grabs 3 coins from pocket*

"Johnny's mother has 3 kids."

*Points to the 1 cent*

"Penny"

*Points to the 5 cent*

"Nicole"

*Points to the 25 cent*

"and.....??????????" :confused: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks