What's new

Whatt's the problem with The World is Not Enough? (1 Viewer)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I was reading the DAD thread, and noticed people bashing TWINE. Personally, I loved The World is Not Enough. It had a really good female villian in Electra, and an ok one in Renard. The only thing I really didn't like was Christmas Jones.

James T

Screenwriter
I didn't like it cause I found it boring. After the first 10 minutes or so of the movie, I thought this was gonna be one of the best action movies of all time, but it went downhill from there.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I found it to be too cheesy. The Bond girls were very attractive, but Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist? Come on. Without saying that she's too hot to be one, she just played the role wrong and it felt weird.

The bad guy (as in male) was badass in a way, but only because he couldn't feel pain. Other than that, he didn't have anything that made him evil. In Tomorrow Never Dies, the bad guy is greedy and will do anything to gain fame and fortune. In TWINE, the bad guy wants to gain control over an oil pipeline. Sure, it's greedy, but not evil.

Sophie Marceau played her part well. She's very attractive and played her character as "seductive" very well.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
One of the things that bugged me about this movie was they way they wrote the M character, as portrayed by the wonderful Judy Dench.

Presumably M would be in the position she's in based on some sort of skills or abilities.

Yet the writers opt to portray her as a helpless female who has to rely on Bond to save her ass.

Not fair to the character...and Ms. Dench deserves a better part.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I think the comments above hit it on the head. Several things were just unrealistic: M leaving London for such a trivial matter compared to her strategic importance and placing herself in jeopardy, Bond not remotely suspecting King, and (gah!) Richards as a nuclear scientist. TWINE has some great action sequences but the story isn't of Bond caliber.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
My two main problems with The World is Not Enough:

1. The villian really doesn't have anything unique or "frightening" about him- he's just some normal guy who can't feel pain. My grandmother can't feel much either, maybe they should have cast her.

2. Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist- come the f*ck on!!! Who in gods name cast her in that role??? There are a million beautiful actresses out there who could have been believable in that role and they had to pick her?!?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree with the idea that M must have "skills and abilities" (implying she's a former field agent) to reach the position she has. Who's to say that M's former job wasn't as a "Moneypenny"? I had no problem with M being in a precarious predicament, except that it seemed to be just to have M more involved in the story than is usual for a Bond movie.

But otherwise I agree with criticism of Denise Richards as a nuclear scientits, oops I meant scientist, and of the lackluster villain.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
i didn't like it because of thin excuses to get judi dench more screen time. too much of a good thing.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
love Judi Dench in As Time Goes By.
hate her as M.

Bonds superiors seemed to have a pragmatic, businesslike ruthlessness thats been watered down now.
bad move.

i appreciated TWINEs effort to tell a little more complex story, with more multi-dimensional characters, but it really doesn't follow thru well with any of its good intentions.
unfortunately, in the case of Bond, dimensionality is represented by a hurt shoulder, so that he can wince in pain periodically.
very lame, imo.

and then the plot has to get put on hold for an arbitary set-piece every 20 minutes (the para-skiing assassains, the helicopter assualt (groan), etc)

Sophie Marceau looks great though, and my fondness for the movie would be considerably higher if only Denise Richards hadn't been wearing a sports bra in the final act.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Presumably M would be in the position she's in based on some sort of skills or abilities.

Yet the writers opt to portray her as a helpless female who has to rely on Bond to save her ass.
------------------------------------------------------------

She would be in the position based on some sort of skill or ability. The ability to manage. It is entirely conceivable that a position like the one she is filling would be occupied by a career bureaucrat. There is nothing to indicate that such a position would have to be occupied by someone with field experience. Having field experience might actually be a detriment because a person might identify too closely with the person that is being ordered to their possible death, thereby complicating the decision to send them.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Well, that one scene with Sophie Marceau lying down on the bed ought to convince anyone of the merits of widescreen.

But Denise Richards was all wrong, and perhaps the worst sin: the action sequences were lame.

//Ken

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was fairly classic Bond... great opening sequence. The only problem I had with it was that the ending dragged. Didn't like Tommarrow Never Dies, just left me cold.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem I had with TWINE would be that Renard wasnt bad enough for my likings. Sophie could have been the main focus IMO.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
If I had never seen the film, I might think that the comments towards Denise Richards unwarranted. It sounds as if we are saying that she is wrong for the character because of the way she looks.

But having seen the film, I know it is more than this. She does a horrible job in this role, and I stand behind my original statements as I walked out of the theater: "Worst Bond Girl EVER!"

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Denise Richards is very, very hot. But a nuclear scientist? Imagine Phyliss Diller portraying Grace Kelly! :D
Sophie Marceau was a great Bond villain but Robert Carlyle was a misfire.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The older Bond movies (pre-GoldenEye) had a male M, which means at one point James had a male secretary? Don't think so.
Goldeneye established that Judi Dench as M is a new M. Just like John Cleese is the new Q. Besides, Moneypenny isn't James' secretary, she's M's secretary.

Anyway, several scenes in Goldeneye suggest that the new M's background was in accounting or statistical analysis or something like that. In one scene a man refers to her as the "queen of numbers" when he doesn't realize she is in the room behind him, and shortly after she talks about statistics. In another scene she lays the smack down on Bond, saying "You think I'm an accountant, a bean counter" and calling him a relic of the cold war, and then she tells Bond that she has the balls to make the tough decisions like sending a man to his death, but not on a whim.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Great looking girls, but it was still pretty crappy. The only part I liked was Bond's lack of hesitation in killing Sophie Marceau's character. It at least showed that Bond was "old school" (read: kills without a second thought a la what Connery did to the geologist in Dr. No). Denise Richards is a looker, no doubt, but seriously, a nuclear scientist? She didn't even try to act like one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks