What's new

What's your viewing distance w/ HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Josh Crackle
How far is your viewing distance from the screen? I'd like to get the 57" Hitachi SWX but I may wish to settle for something smaller like the 51" or a 53" say. I usually sit in a chair that's 10'(slight angle) from my current Sony analog 41" RPTV. On the couch though (straight away) when I watch DVD's, I'm 14' from the screen. You think the 57" would be ideal? Seems to me that it would be and I guess I could always return it within 30 days (with Circuit City) if it isn't. I know in the end, seeing it in person is the best way to know but I'm trying to gauge this to hopefully make the right decision from the start - size-wise.

Thanks for the input.
Rick

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You should definitely see it in person yourself. Everyone has different requirements on viewing distance. I've seen ONE poster sit as close as ~5ft from a 65"(!!), many seem to sit 2-2.5x the TV's diagonal, and many others much farther away like you do w/ your current TV from straight away (ie. 14ft). Also, I'm not sure that everyone uses eyes-to-screen distance or just the front of their seat to the screen, which could easily be 2ft shorter than eyes-to-screen.

FWIW, I use an eyes-to-screen distance of ~8ft from my 53". HD content looks awesome at this distance (or even closer). Good DVDs still look very good and film-like while yielding a theater-like viewing angle of ~27 degrees.

Check here for some reference #s to help you decide:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

But in the end, again, what works best all depends on you.

_Man_

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I'm about 8' away from a 42" rear projection HDTV which looks perfect. I'm 13' away from 110" front projection screen which also seems about right, but it is right at that line of being too close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks