What's new

What's YOUR TV? (And how would you rate it?) (1 Viewer)

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Make/Model: Loewe Aconda

Size/Type: 30" 16x9 HD tube

Price you paid for it: Sold my Mit. 46" for $1500. Bought a Loewe Calida 32" store demo for $1569. with extended warranty $1800. After 5 month the set died. GoodGuys upgraded the set to a new $2900 Aconda set due not carrying the Calida any longer.

Good things: One of the best tube TVs I've ever seen. Very tweakable. It up-converts any signal to 480p internally. DVDs look fabulous. Better than my Sony 9000ES DVD player. HD looks incredible. Regular cable TV look very very good. The remote is very simple. But very user friendly with a minimum of buttons. Accessing the sub menu and tweaking it can do at lot of good things if one is very careful. And keeps a written record of the original settings. It's easy to get carried away the adjustment's. ;)

Bad things: Bypassing the internal doubler takes some effort. One needs to use the VGA connection on the set.

Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Yes, very happy!

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
Make/Model: Sony KV-36FS17
Size/Type: 36" 4x3 crt
Price you paid for it: 1100.00
Good things: Squeeze for movies, full for nfl,nascar,mlb, nice picture
Bad things: non hd, very heavy
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Y

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Make/Model: Panasonic 47wx52

Size/Type: 47"(16:9)

Price you paid for it: $2977CDN/2000US(before rebates etc)

Good things: Bang for $$, picture quality, service menu access. DVD's look amazing even without ISF calibration

Bad things: Haven't found any yet(knock on wood).

Overall: Are you happy with it? Most definetly. I picked this set up because it was within my budget. Also it came with a free RP62 which I sold for $300CDN and $240CDN in rebates.

Kevin

Rich H

Second Unit
Make/Model: Panasonic TH42PWD4UY Plasma Display

Size/Type: 42" Plasma Display.

Price you paid for it: Equivalent of $5,700 US. I bought in Canada over a year ago - therefore more expensive than can be found now.

Good things: Simply Amazing realism on DVD and HD images. Also, it has the best NTSC signal performance I've seen on a display anywhere near it's size. We were happily surprised to find cable TV looked even better on this plasma than on our Panny Tau 27" CRT direct-view.
Of course it also looks sleek and beautiful- actually adding to the decor rather than detracting. Friends drool, and every time I fire it up I feel like George Jetson :)

Bad things: Hmmm...price. But then again it was worth it. Like most wide-screen home theater displays one has to be conscious of burn-in. We stretch our NTSC picture to fill the 16:9 screen. Luckily the Panny has an unobtrusive stretch mode, which looks quite nice.

Overall: Are you happy with it? Ecstatic. Probably the most satisfying electronics purchase I ever made. The buzz has yet to wear off: I find myself as amazed by the image today as when I bought it a year ago.

Click Here To See SCREEN-SHOTS from DVDs on my PLasma !

(I advise looking at the "QUICK TOUR" gallery first).

- Rich H.

Allen:B

Auditioning
I dare you to top me. The following is true...

Make/Model: eg. Sharp ?
Size/Type: eg. Direct View CRT 4:3 19"
Price you paid for it: eg. $180 at BestBuy in 1995
Good things: It works. Its better than our earl
y 90's RCA 19".
Bad things: Has a smokey patina after surviving a fire that destroyed my apartment six years ago. Has no inputs other than a single cable input on the pack. Channel up/down buttons no longer work, must be changed from remote. Remote doesn't work.
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Yes.

Paypal donations to....

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Make/Model: Panny 47wx42
Size/Type:47" 16x9 RPTV
Price you paid for it: ~$1450 at Circuit City
Good things: Great bang for buck after calibration
Bad things:Cheap feeling cabinet, no 720p.
Overall: Yes

Make/Model: Panny CT-32HX40
Size/Type:32" 4:3 Direct View TV
Price you paid for it: ~$1700 Circuit City
Good things: Good 'second' TV. Good image after calibration.
Bad things:It's HEAVY. Had some image issues: 'green' bar on the right side of the screen, Panny replaced a digital board (after CC sent a guy out to say 'nothing wrong here'), after board replacement the bar was harder to notice, after calibration, it was gone. No 720p.
Overall: Yes

Vern.S

Grip
Make/Model: Pioneer SD533HD5
Size/Type: 53" RPTV
Price you paid for it: $2.4K delivered and 5Yr service plan
Good things: Picture is awesome
Bad things: Locks of "Full" when input is 1080i
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/non) YES . . Thrilled

Vern.S

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Make/Model: Sony VPH-1272Q CRT front projector, floor mounted (Am I the first CRT projector owner to post?)

Size/Type: 100" front projection, shooting on a DaLite High Power screen

Price you paid for it: $2,300 including a 1271 switcher with line doubler

Good things: Amazing picture quality, easy to setup (for a CRT PJ), very tweakable, excellent blacks, no screen door, no rainbows, amazing picture quality.

Bad things: Initial setup is time consuming, I wish it was a little quieter

Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Yes, no question about it.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Make/Model: SONY KV27FS13

Size/Type: 27" 4x3 tube, standard def.

Price: $550.00 ~Dec 2001.

Good things: Nice, clean images. Component Video In. Good remote, good menu design, reliable.

Bad things: VERY BAD geometry issues. Very distracting on letterboxed movies, ect.

Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Despite the geometry problems, I'm still happy because its superior to all the TV's I looked at in the price and size category.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Make/Model: Toshiba 40H80 ISFed by Michael Chen
Size/Type: 40" widescreen rear projection
Price you paid for it: $2600 December 2001
Good things: Great detail, picture quality and color
Bad things: Faint vertical lines, and wavy lines in top left corner on progressive scan
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) I am happy with it but can't wait to get a bigger set without the faint lines, they irritate the hell out of me
:)

Dave Mark

Stunt Coordinator
Make/Model: Sony KP51HW40

Size/Type: 51" HDTV Widescreen

Price you paid for it: $2300 in May 2002

Good things: Excellent picture, color second to none, I also think the design is pretty sharp looking

Bad things: FLICKER. Sony should be raked over the coals for their poor handling of the flicker problems. Had two brief episodes. Flicker gone for now but will be watching it like a hawk to see if it returns. Would have the repair done (CRTs and resistor) but have read too many horror stories about poorly informed/trained techs messing up the convergence, poor focus, etc. to mess with it unless I absolutely have to.
Also, no DVI, no 720p, and have to cycle through the inputs.

Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) NO. It's impossible to be happy with a $2000+ TV that I am constantly worrying about. I will not be buying a Sony product again.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Make/Model: Toshiba 57HX81
Size/Type: 57" widescreen HD ready
Price you paid for it: $5500 Canadian(approx. 2700
US)
Good things: fairly nice picture
Bad things: Green gun bursts on shut down,some kind
of "EE" that can not be eliminated by turning
off SVM, Toshiba's service response to
concerns has been worse than pathetic.
So far have not seen any ghost lines (Thank
god).
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) NO. The picture is fine but Toshiba's service response has turned me off. I will never buy another Toshiba product again and most of my video equipment has been Toshiba for the past few years.

Sathyan

Second Unit
Some people will need smaller sets...

Make/Model: Toshiba 24AF42
Size/Type: 24" flatscreen non-HD 4:3 direct view
Price you paid for it: US$360 in Dec. 2002
Good things: sharp accurate colors, connectivity (RF, 3 composite a/v, s-video, component; a/v & headphone out; video output which goes to my PC capture card sends video signal from all sources; very little glare; seems efficient (not much heat emitted)
Bad things: limited remote angle range; no front panel video button; doesn't work with my univ. remote; slow tuner; 4:3
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) yes

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Make/Model: Panny 47wx42
Size/Type:47" 16x9
Price you paid for it: $1200
Good things: Everyday the colors looks better (can live w/out ISF @ this rate)
Bad things: no dvi, no 720p, green gun went bad after the first mo, but replaced and no problem, remote control sucks, it feels cheap.
Overall: Yes, perfect size.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Make/Model: Mitsubishi WT-46805
Size/Type: 46" 16x9 RPTV
Price you paid for it: $2k
Good things: make some adjustments from service menu, clear picture...
Bad things: Locks up when feed with Progressive pic
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Yes

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Make/Model: Sony HS10
Size/Type: 100" Width 16x9 FP
Price you paid for it: $2250
Good things: DVD and HDTV is amazing
Bad things: Nada
Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Is the Pope Catholic?

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Make/Model: Toshiba 57H82

Size/Type: 57" 16x9 HD-Ready RPTV

Price you paid for it: $1979 from OneCall

Good things: I just set this baby up last night and I calibrated it with the AVIA disc. So far I'm absolutely blown away by the image this TV produces when fed a DVD signal through the component. I tweaked a few things here and there but I'm waiting until June to have Greg Loewen ISF it.

Bad things: So far the only things that I've noticed it the protective screen is WAAAAAY too reflective, and NTSC cable pictures look horrid but I know that's because the signal sucks.

Overall: Are you happy with it? So far, I'm ecstatic.

Cheers.
J.

Gregory_h

Auditioning
Make/Model: Sampo (EDTV model)

Size/Type: 42" plasma

Price you paid for it: $2598 couple of months ago (floor model @ BJs of all places). At this price came with stand and wall mounting kit.

Good things: Stunning vibrate and accurate color with great detail at all angles with brighter movies (i.e. Monster's, Inc looks fantastic). Cheap (or more accurately more affordable than Panasonic's 42" Plasma)

Bad things: Blacks are bluish, lack a lot of detail and gradations (at certain point it's solid black). Rainbow apparent with white/near white (posterization). Dot crawl visible with lighter images when close up. Can't set different inputs with different view settings, it's either all at 16x9 or 4x3 (color settings are independantly adjustable, though).

Overall: Are you happy with it? (yes/no) Yes, a majority of the time I am happy with it. However, with dark scenes (i.e. opening night time scene in Harry Potter)until the set was calibrated there was almost no detail or contrast-that scene was unwatchable. After calibration it is still merely acceptable. Debated whether or not to return it and get the Samsung DLP or Sony Grand Wega LCD. At the price though it compared favorably to the Samsung and Sony. I saw the same limitations, bluish blacks, lack of detail, dot crawl AND a limited view angle.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Make/Model: Sony KV-27FS12
Size/Type: 27" Wega
Price you paid for it: Full retail ($599)
Good things:16:9 mode, 16:9 mode, 16:9 mode !! Tweakability, Flat Screen, Easy to use, nice remote, great colors
Bad things: very heavy and I wish it was 72" instead!
Overall: Are you happy with it? absolutely

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Make/Model; Mits WS55511
Size Type; 55"
Price; $2299 at PC Richard with 20 Months interest free 3 Diamond Card
Good things; I just got it yesterday (upgraded from a 27")so Im still in the OH...MY...GOD phase
Ary you happy; Only when I'm home

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks