What's your style in NCAA football?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'll be back Sunday morning (or Sat night if I'm drunk [​IMG] ) to read the responses.
    I basically learned to play NCAA by watching real and videogame football. What are your favorite plays? Formations? Like the option? Pass every down and the only time you run is onto the field [​IMG] ?
    For offense:
    I love using all varieties of the shotgun, and the normal I.
    I pass first, and pass often to setup draw plays. I pass from side to side and run a variety of screens. From the red zone on, I simplify the offense to off-tackle or interior runs, and PA passes. I love 4 yard gains and possessing the clock.
    For defense:
    Zone, zone, zone. I think blizting is too risky and man-to-man suffers from getting burnt too easily. I rely on corners and defensive linemen to create the turnovers I need.

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

My philosophies:

Offense -- Pound the ball as often as possible. Run between the tackles for short gains of three to four yards, in hopes that you end up with an easily convertible Third-and-3. I use "I" formations as I like running behind a lead back.
    Once the defense begins to expect the interior run, call an off-tackle or sweep and break it for 20 yards or more. Or, call a play-action pass and send your best receiver into a streak in man coverage.
    I don't run the ball exclusively, though. I generally get about 150 yards of passing offense per game, compared to 100-125 rushing yards. During the second quarter, I will pass quite a bit. Often, the computer isn't expecting me to go to the air -- as I've relied mainly on the run during previous possessions -- and I can burn it for a quick scoring drive before the half.

Defense -- First of all, I always like to go on defense first. I want the ball first during the second half, in case I need to come from behind (or put the game away.)
    I rely on man coverage, often out of the dime or 4-4 formations. I like "QB Spy," "Cover 2 Man," and "Man Lock," since they place one or two safeties in deep zone as a precaution.
    Inside the 20, though, I switch to zone. Often, the coverages will blanket the end zone -- and if the offense is inside the 15 or so, it will blanket nearly the entire available field.

Using this philosophy, I've been able to force at least two and often three interceptions per game. But it only works if you have a good secondary. When I played a season with Wake Forest, I had to rely on zone coverage more often than I would have liked.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm very balanced, and I use the run to set up the pass. I play as UCLA, and with 7 minute quarters I usually average 275-300yds passing, 100-150yds rushing (including negative sack amounts).

I hate the option, but I love to defense it (put Nebraska on my schedule). I run a pro-style offense most of the time, with a HB, FB, TE + 2WR. I am not afraid to go to a single back and 3 or 4 receiver formation. I don't use gimmick plays like reverses. I rarely use toss plays. Usually HB leads, off tackles, counters, dives and an occasional FB run. I pass to all receivers, currently my 2 WRs are closing in on 1000yds for the season and my TE has about 600yds. My HB and FB get about 2-3 passes thrown their way each game.

On defense I stay in the 4-3 formation for first down unless I have a pass-happy team like Florida or Washington State, in which case I'll use Nickel on first down. I play vvery conservative defense, not blitzing a lot, but still end up getting a decent number of sacks (about 2-3 a game). I give up, on average, 80 yds rushing, 200 yds passing.

4. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Offense: I run and run and then run some more. DO allot of QB draws from the shotgun. They are very affective if you have a fast QB.

Defense: 4-3/cover 2man, Nickel/cover2man or Nickel/inside blitz is all I usually run.

Nickel/inside blitz is a good play to put pressure on the QB. I always hit the black button to make sure my LB isn't supposed to be covering someone before I blitz in.

5. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

I almost always use some type of Nickel Blitz on 1st and 3rd down.

I'm a big fan of HB counters and draws, I use the option once or twice in a game. Make sure you don't neglect your HB/FB for a screen or TE they are often open. Yesterday when I was playing in the Red River shootout with Texas, it seemed like B.J. Johnson would have triple coverage and Roy Williams would have double, so I would just dump it out to Benson for big yards. (BTW Jason White throw 6 interception "2 were user picks")

6. Dome Vongvises

I think that we need to run an offensive/defensive clinic for videogame football. [​IMG]
    In addition:
    Vs. Computer Opponents:
    See above. Not only do I use passes from side to side to set up the draw, but I also use it to setup passes over the middle for small, but sure gains.
    I generally use option plays as trick plays.
    Vs. Human Opponents:
    I basically run Clemson's offense, with lots of QB draws, HB draws, and running for gains.
    Anybody here run Nebraska ball? [​IMG]

7. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

For the most part, I tend to run an option oriented offense. I like Nebraska's playbook, b/c it has a lot of 3-back formations and you can run the option in many different ways. I also like to use HB dive, or HB tackle runs. It seems a lot easier to run up the gut than it is to run wide.

When I pass, I like to use corner patters, these seem to work well at getting separation betweent the receiver and the DB.

On defense, I usually try to blitz on the strong side of the field to keep the opponent from running wide on me, then I use my MLB to plug any gaps in the middle. I usually try to have the rest of the DBs play a zone.

8. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

When I run (about 80% of the time), I run the option (every once in a while bust the FB up the middle for 5 or 6).

When I pass, I run out patterns. The best play for picking up a third and ten is slot ace/deep outs... just roll to the left or right and hit the guy at the sidelines... works every time.

9. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

My team runs from the I or wishbone at least 66% of the time. I love the hb pitch and the option keeper with a fast QB!
    If I see the defense stacking it up on the line I will audible to a deep ball every time. I like out patterns and hb screen passes.
    On defense, I like to play middle linebacker and roam the lane just behind the defensive line. Nothing better than drilling a receiver just as the ball arrives...
    I find blitzing to be very dangerous and usually do it only with an inside blitz on second and ten, or third and long. I keep my db's in the secondary to swat the ball or intercept it.
    Uh oh... I think I just gave my x-box live playbook away![​IMG]
    Bryan

10. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

On offense I like to pass more than run with many passes going to the HB or TE. I count on the WRs to run off the defense so the bigger guys can nab a short pass and then storm downfield with it. For run plays I stick to up the middle or counter plays and rarely ever try to turn outside. And I despise play action pass plays as I tend to get sacked a lot that way.

On defense I use the Nickel a lot with inside blitzes coming just about every other play. As long as you have fast linemen you can still cover the option or other outside runs from this formation. I find that the so-called pass defending plays work better against the run than most of the specific run-defending plays as fewer of your players are engaged at the line and tied up after the ball is snapped.

11. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i like the 'Fun and Gun' for offense

12. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I just bought this (GCN) last night and I have to say I like it a lot more than Madden 2002. I played as Washington and beat the Cougars 28-7 (on Varsity) for the Apple Cup.

But I cannot figure out how to get rid of the ball on the option. Once the ball is hiked, does the quarter back have to run it? Or is there a way to flip the ball to another player?

13. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

r2 flips it on ps2

14. Carlo Medina

Larry, yes there's a PITCH button, but it varies depending on your system. I have the XBox but never run the option so I don't know what it is for sure, but I think it's the left trigger button as that is the only button I never use. [​IMG]
    When you start beating the teams with regularity (stop passing to Reggie Williams all the time!!!) try bumping it up to All American. It doesn't cheat like it does at Heisman, but the play is more realistic and the results are more satisfying. I still haven't lost even at AA level, but I've had several close games against top teams. I'm in the 9th year of the dynasty and I've made UCLA into a "Miami West" powerhouse. [​IMG]

15. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

All you have to do is press the Z button. The QB will pitch it to the back. Tap to fake, press to pitch. This is for the GC. It took me a while to get a hang of this. Hope this helps.

16. LarryDavenport

Thanks Charles, I figured that out last night, but only after it was too late to come back to beat the Beavers in the Civil War (Oregon 10 Oregon State 14).

One thing I miss about Madden is the "Go To Guy" plays. Oregon does not appear to have the Shotgun in their playbook. Oregon State had a surprisingly good pass rush. I managed to get off some good passes in the end though, but I didn't have enough time. Both of Oregon States TDs came when I was blitzing and didn't cover a receiver (both TDs were over 50 yds.)

I need to find a book that explains defensive plays to me. I can tell by what the offensive play looks like what the players are supposed to do, but some of thos defensive plays are inscruitable (to me).

17. Carlo Medina

Best Buy was selling one of those PRIMA official guides to this game a while back when it first came out. I didn't buy it because as I read it I realized that I knew pretty much what was in there - not because I'm a brilliant football mind, but because I've been playing Madden and NCAA for the PS1 since the early 90's (for Madden) late 90's (for NCAA). That guide is good though for explaining which defensive plays are good for certain situations.

18. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i think one of the best all around defensive plays is the 'inside blitz' in the nickel formation

19. Dome Vongvises

RossTerry said:

20. LarryDavenport

I played a couple games this weekend (but mainly I played Eternal Darkness which I am now hooked on). I played as WSU and beat Ohio State 27-24 (then watched WSU Coug It and lose badly for real).

Later I played Oregon at Oregon State and won The Civil War 28-6 (but was disappointed that there was no trophy). I then played as USC vs. Notre Dame and lost in Quadruple Overtime 29-28 (they went for the 2 point conversion). Finally I beat Texas as Oklahoma 28-21 for whatever trophy.

The only things I don't like about the game:

I always seem to get beat on long passes when I blitz.

My default playbook is Washington, which doesn't have the Shotgun.

I can't figure out how to fair catch (but I haven't fumbled yet so it's not that big of a problem.

And unlike Madded, 50 pts only gets you one Pennant (Cheat) rather than ten.