What's new

What's your opinion on refurbished products? (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I was tossing up the idea of purchasing an mp3 player and am in debate between buying a factory sealed brand new unit or spending the same ammount of money for the same brand with more storage space. I would really benefit from having the larger player, but am not too keen on the idea of buying a refurbed mp3 player. So, I wanted to know what other people think... Buy the refurbished unit or purchase a brand new factory sealed unit?

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
On a small purchase such as that, I think I'd opt for the new in box unit. Refurbs, in general, seem to be a crapshoot.

Mort

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
That's exactly what I was thinking about refurbs being a crapshoot. However, I have never had any issues with refurbed products before. If I had to take a guess, I think I have only purchased three or four things refurbed in the past though. The only thing that is killing me, is that I really want the bigger unit. I just don't have the money to spend on it at the moment being a poor college student and all!!!

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
I purchased a refurbished scanner a few years ago for half the price of a new one. Works great, not one problem. I worked for Nintendo for a while and got a couple refurbished Game Boy's. They too work great. I guess it just depends.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I almost always buy refurbished electronics when it's an option and I haven't had any problems so far -- knock on wood.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
i bfoughf a reefhurbishedd kyboaard. Itt woerdks puerfecftly.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Well, I just took the chance and purchased a refurbed 20 gig iPod. I really wanted that over the 6 gig mini, due to the amount of music I have. Thanks for the advice.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I purchased two refurb Gateway computers. Never had any problems with them. Saved me a few hundred dollars.

- Colton

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I also just bought a refurb iPod 20G model - from buy.com. I had a coupon too so I paid a nice 221.00 for it. :)

But I am a little nervous about the mere 90 day warranty and am considering getting the extended warranty (another common thread topic).

I have purchased other refurbed products, the primary being my Onkyo receiver and DVD player. Both have had no problems and it's been at least three years.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
My Dell laptop is a refurb and I've had no problem at all with it. It was a top of the line model, for its time, and I saved some serious dough.

When buying a refurb, just make sure you know who stands behind it, what the warrenty covers, and return policies. Also assess how much money you are saving to see if it's worth the price.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
if the refurb has the same warranty as a new gear and the price is right i would take the refurb in a heart beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks