What's new

What's your most valued non-R1 disc, and why? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
CONAN THE BARBARIAN (R2 Japan): The truly remixed 5.1 Dolby Digital stereo blows the doors off the lousy American mono mix, and the transfer is ALSO better than the U.S. disc. All the extras are also on there. Unquestionably recommended!

LEGEND (R2 Japan): Not only is this a different cut than all other versions (shorter than the Director's Cut but with different scenes), the transfer is the best of ALL versions, including the American Special Edition (which looks good, but not as good as this print....)

MikeHughes

Agent
Hmmm, let's see:

Lawrence of Arabia 3-Disc Limited Edition RC2 French
Black Hawk Down 3-Disc Limited Edition RC2 French(Most beuatiful cover i have seen for this film)
Monty Pythons Enzyklopythonia Limited 4-Disc Set(Life of Brian, Holy Grail SE, Meaning of Life(just the old version though)) RC2 German
The Piano 3-Disc Limited Edition (2 DVD's + Soundtrack) RC2 German
Citizen Kane 2-Disc SE RC2 UK
Hitcher - The Highwaykiller 2-Disc SE RC2 German(also available from Momentum in UK)
Dune 2-Disc SE RC2 UK
Reservoir Dogs 2-Disc SE (very neat Digipack, better image quality than RC1) RC2 German
Conan the Barbarian SE RC4 AUS
X-Men 2 2-Disc Special Edition Tin RC3

Njal

Grip
Probably my Japanese Ghibli/Miyazaki LE's:
Nausicaa Of the Valley Of Wind, Laputa: Castle In the Sky, and Sen to Chihiro/Spirited Away dvd-player LE, all viewable in the Ghibli link in my signature.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
The most expensive DVDs I own are R2 anime titles like the Macross movie, the Megazone 23 box, Wings of Honneamise, X, the Bubblegum Crisis box, Robot Carnival, the Nausicaa LE, etc.

Excluding anime, I'd say the Kill Bill LE, the Ayumi Hamasaki concert box, and live-action Japanese movies like Versus, Azumi, 2LDK, Juon 2, etc.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
-Giant Robo Collection R3
-Kagemusha R2
-Shaw Bros titles R3
-Wild Side 111 minute UK version :D R2(I think)

Mike,
Is that Japanese Conan the theatrical version we saw here in the US or the Dir Cut we saw on the SE?

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
It would have been COUNT DRACULA - 1977 which starred Louis Jourdan and Judi Bowker but it is no longer available which is galling me mightily as I now have a region-fee DVD player. Scheesh!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There are so many that are my favs. My latest fav is R2J DTS version of Armageddon (I know) that I picked up used for only 2900Yen.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
ABBA In Concert, UK import. I'm a HUGE ABBA fan and this one is great. Although I found out this week it's getting a R1 release on May25...oh, well.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmnn,it's a close one.The starmax version of Battle Royale is fantastic and has a hot full bitrate dts soundtrack.I think i would have to give the nod to the c j entertainment version of Musa(The warrior),it's the uncut version of the film and everything about that movie is wonderful.I am a biased Zhang Ziyi worshipper though ;)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
But the Starmax version of Battle Royale is not anamorphic, neither is Armageddon R2JAP. So you don´t think picture quality counts?

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
For my favourite films, picture quality is important, but anamorphic or not isn't. One's got nothing to do with the other.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator

It's anamorphic all the way.This is the 2 disc dir cut i'm talking about.It may not be in the exact ratio,1.78/1 instead of 1.85/1.The presintation looks very good to me though.If i had to mark it down for anything it would be the font used on the subs.They are superbold and blocky and it takes a bit of getting used to them.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I enjoy the R2 boxset for the hulk movie. I play that all the time.. in fact my dvd player said that is enough and died on me..

now I have a new player that will play region free dvds.

JACOB

Kill Bill Vol 1 R2J
Trainspotting Definitive Edition R2
Finding Nemo R4
Studio Ghibli dvd R2J
Ed Wood R3
Alligator Double Feature R2
Battle Royale Limited Edition Tin Tartan Release R0 PAL

JasonCC

Auditioning
Lylia 4-ever R2 - Amazing film, I doubt R1 will ever come
Battle Royale II - R3 - Haven't seen it in another region yet
Salo - R2 - The cut is better than the Critereon
I Stand Alone - French R2 - The only cut with Carne in it
Kill Bill R2 Jap - What can I say, I want to see the entire film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks