What's new

What's your most valued non-R1 disc, and why? (1 Viewer)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I say non-R1 for the sake of brevity, but what I really mean is, 'what's your most valued non "native region" dvd purchase? What do you re-watch the most?

For me, it has to be the Laser Paradise Red Edition of Peter Jackson's Braindead, aka Dead Alive, which is ironic, because the video quality is watchable, but far from impressive. Still, it's on the short list of my all-time favorite movies, and this cut, in addition to the extra gallons of gore, makes a whole lot more sense in not leaving out the demise of two of the key undead characters. A remastered special edition of Dead Alive is damn near inevitable after the success of LOTR, but will it be this cut? And how much longer will we wait? I dunno, but I've been enjoying my copy for about two years now, so I've gotten my money's worth and then some. How about you?

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
I guess right now, it's A Chinese Ghost Story: Collector's Edition the R2. Great transfer, subtitles that make sense to me, great documentary.

After that, King Kong (1933) R2 - just because there ain't another available to me. Yet.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Trouble Every Day R2 - France (clair denis film unreleased on DVD in R1)
The 400 Blows R2 France (newest MK2 release)
Wild at Heart (R2 UK) and Lost Highway (R4) (unreleased David Lynch films)
Army of Darkness (R3) (clearly the best looking version of the film released on DVD yet)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
difficult one, but I will have to say The Terminator - UE (DTS, R2JAP), because it´s just so damn beautiful and a bit rare. Easily the best looking package I ever seen.

But when it comes to favorite movie, I´ll pick Stand By Me - Superbit (R2JAP). Finally an edition who makes this great movie justice.

Soon I will get another great action movie, Aliens - UE, in lovely digipacking and DTS sound. An edition I value high in my collection. As you see I not only value the movie itself, but also the actual look of the edition.

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
For me it's:

R2 UK Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Director's Cut because as far as I know this isn't available elsewhere and I like the film and..

R2 Japanese Predator - Ultimate Edition - nice two disc set and great packaging as well.

I'm also interested in the Japanese Aliens with DTS!

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator
Stereophonics - Live at Morfa Stadium - cause I was there and wanted a video copy for the memories

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator

It's a decent transfer, not A+, but good grayscale and not too much dirt. Only extras was a short documentary, maybe 15 minutes long, but that's okay with me.

The last time I saw the unexpurgated version was in the Thalia in downtown NY in the early 70's, and this print looked better than that one. Got it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...123241-9360628

To see the discs available and compare, go to http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...e.php?fid=2930

I like it a lot. Better than waiting on the R1.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I can't limit myself to just one:

HELLZAPOPPIN (R4)and Orson Welles' CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (R2), simply because I had been trying to track down both of these films for 30 years when I finally got a region-free player.

STRAW DOGS (R2 SE) has one of the best commentaries and set of extras I've ever experienced. It was a film I was very familiar with, but the extras pointed out things I had never noticed before.

WITCHFINDER GENERAL (R2) great to have this cult favorite available in a complete edition. Good extras, too.

CROSS OF IRON (R2) and THE LIGHTHORSEMEN (R4) great negelected war dramas; and the R2 COI is such an improvement over the R1 release.

ULZANA'S RAID (R4) one of my favorite films in a beautiful anamorhpic transfer not available in R1.

MONTY PYTHONS FLIEGENDER ZIRKUS (R4) I never knew that MP made a German TV special, so finding out about it's existence was like finding an undiscovered gem.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
My Neighbour Totoro 2 disc set ( Japanese R2 )
Although it contains dubtitles rather than true subs, this is still one of my favourite discs.

I also really like the Japanese edition of 'Virus', an early 80s movie dealing with a virus ( duh! ) that wipes out most of the Earth's population. It's the full 155 minute cut, and even though the Japanese sequences aren't subtitled it's still a great disc.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Definitely my R2 Japan SE of The Terminator. The box art is just so amazing and beautiful, I'd frame it up if I could. :b The DTS track is as good as it gets from a movie made in 1984 with it's original audio recording in mono.

A close 2nd is Equilibrium R3 Korea. Again, beautiful coverart and a rocking DTS track.

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
"MONTY PYTHONS FLIEGENDER ZIRKUS (R4) I never knew that MP made a German TV special, so finding out about it's existence was like finding an undiscovered gem."

This is actually available in R1, but they split the two German episodes across two different box sets; Life of Python and Monty Python Live! Luckily, I got the latter for $9.99 at Costco, but I'm still missing Fliegender Zirkus episode #2.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the R2 French collectors edition of
StarCrash.

i just realized while watching it last week, that i really never did like this movie, but it has been a fixation of mine to see it again someday in its OAR.
the transfer is the pits, 95% of the extra content is not subtitled, but i still can't get over the simple fact that i finally, actually own it!

it just blows my mind.

"i'm not programed for this malfunction!"

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I also can't limit myself to just one.
So here they are:

- "The Bodyguard" R2 Widescreen - Because there is no WS R1
- "The Bangkok Hilton" R2,4 - Very good early Nicole Kidman vehicle. We won't see this in R1.
- "The Sting" R2 Widescreen - Because there is no WS R1
- "Predator" SE R2
- "The Scarlett Pimpernel" (1982) R2 - Because I very seriously doubt this will appear in R1 & I like this kind of "historical" film
- "The Man in the Iron Mask" (1977) R2 - Because I very seriously doubt this will appear in R1 & I like this kind of "historical" film
- "The Count of Monte Cristo" (1975) R4 - Because I very seriously doubt this will appear in R1 & I like this kind of "historical" film

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I prize a few:
R3:
Hero
Shaolin Soccer
Infernal Affairs
JSA- Joint Security Area

R2:
Drive
Delcatessen

Mainly because I love all fo these movies and cannot get them in R1

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I paid over a hundred bucks for Azumi Limited Edition, so I suppose that it's the most valuable to me.:b

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
My R2 Gamera THE BOX 1995-1999 5-disc set.

Beautiful box set that has the 90s Gamera Trilogy (All anamorphic. The R1 release of Guardian of the Universe was letterboxed only), a ton of extras, a well-made booklet and a Gamera Dog Tag.

Expensive but worth every penny.

Andrew

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

the Jane Seymour/ Ian McKellan one?

this just came out a month or so back.
i just saw it in Borders a few days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks