What's new

What's Your Last BR Purchase? (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Jesse, actually, he did:

The safe bet for a blu-ray player that is going to last and be update-able, is a PS3.
That can be said for all Blu-ray players and that statement is ambiguous, at best.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm in *Total Catchup Mode*

Over the past two months I've purchased
Terminator 2: Skynet Edition
Iron Man
The Matrix
Batman Begins
Batman: The Dark Knight (The DVD was abysmal.)
The Music Man (Absolutely *blows away* every aspect of the old 1999 DVD.)
Phantom of the Opera
Superman the Movie
Die Hard (Didn't look much better than upscaled DVD, but the audio portion of the presentation was a revelation.)
Die Hard 3 (Finally got rid of all the EE which had plagued the DVD )
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (It was no contest)
Ghostbusters

Before I even purchased the Blu-ray player I had already acquired the following titles (most came with a DVD)
Snow White
Sleeping Beauty
Enchanted
UP
Star Trek (This one didn't come with a DVD, but I acquired the BD player about a week later.)

... And I purchased almost all of these at what I would consider drastically reduced prices. (Most of the catalog titles were purchased for less than half of what I paid for their DVD counterparts!)

I feel like I entered the market at just the right time ...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by kemcha

Jesse, actually, he did:

The safe bet for a blu-ray player that is going to last and be update-able, is a PS3.
That can be said for all Blu-ray players and that statement is ambiguous, at best.
You are inferring some thing I didn't say. I didn't say others wouldn't last also, just that the PS3 is a "safe bet". Stand alone players may or may not be.

Doug

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Jesse, actually, he did:

Give it up. Doug has now said twice that you're mischaracterizing his remarks, which everybody can see. There is nothing ambiguous about it. It simply says the PS3 is a safe bet. It doesn't say that it's not a safe bet with every other player, nor that the PS3 is the "only" player that will last. Your claims to the contrary don't make it true.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Jesse, I'm simply disagreeing with the intent of his statement. The PS3 isn't the only Blu-ray player that has durability, and that can be updated through firmware updates. Every Blu-ray player has that ability and I'm simply stating that the PS3 isn't the only quality Blu-ray player on the market. There are other Blu-ray pplayers that are superior to even the PS3. I'm simply disagreeing with his ascertation that the PS3 is the only quality hardware out there for consumers.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Jesse, I'm simply disagreeing with the intent of his statement. The PS3 isn't the only Blu-ray player that has durability, and that can be updated through firmware updates. Every Blu-ray player has that ability and I'm simply stating that the PS3 isn't the only quality Blu-ray player on the market. There are other Blu-ray pplayers that are superior to even the PS3. I'm simply disagreeing with his ascertation that the PS3 is the only quality hardware out there for consumers.
Again I never made the ascertain that the PS3 was the ONLY quality blu-ray player on the market. Please read my statement CAREFULLY before you miss characterize what I said.

I'm saying that the PS3 is the player that is most likely to be future proof, because it is in essence, a very powerful computer, who's blu-ray player is software driven. I never said that other players couldn't also be updated with firmware upgrades. However many standalone players can't be upgraded in the same way as the PS3 because they are locked into a particular hardware configuration.

Doug

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

The PS3 isn't the only Blu-ray player that has durability, and that can be updated through firmware updates.
True.

Every Blu-ray player has that ability and I'm simply stating that the PS3 isn't the only quality Blu-ray player on the market.
Also true.

There are other Blu-ray pplayers that are superior to even the PS3.
Also true.

I'm simply disagreeing with his ascertation that the PS3 is the only quality hardware out there for consumers.
He NEVER asserted that in ANY of his posts.
What is, however, undeniable is the fact that the PS3 is the current player with the most flexible update options on the market, owing to its design. While that does not make it "the best" or "the only quality" player on the market (again, something that has NOT been stated by anyone in this thread), it does make it the most likely to remain current with the latest features.

On topic: In the Line of Fire (9.99$ at Future Shop)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Paul, while I have never used the PS3, I won't disagree with you. I'm just debating the very idea that it's the sole unit and the inference that it's the only quality player on the market. BTW, how did we get on this topic in the first place, I merely originally said that some movies have had a problem with accessing BD-Live content on some players, and sometimes that has to do with when a studio's server goes down.

Next, this discussion got a life of its own.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm just debating the very idea that it's the sole unit and the inference that it's the only quality player on the market.
As you say. You inferred it, I didn't imply it.

Doug

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Near Dark (my favorite vampire movie)
X-Men
X2: X-Men United

Firefly The Complete Series (my first TV show on Blu-ray)

... ehehe ... and my library of Blues grows a little bit more.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
The sound on the Downfall UK disc is "lossy" Dolby Digital, but still sounds outstanding. The German disc has DTS-MA, but I'm unfamiliar with the supplements or video quality. The video quality on the UK release is superb, so I won't be dumping anytime soon.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
May I ask where you ordered "Downfall" from? It is on Amazon UK; but, I have never ordered from there and am unsure of total cost to US. It is the UK version and is around $13US before shipping and other possible fees. BB has it for almost $40.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Just purchased:

Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible 2
Top Gun
Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks