1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's your Internet Speed and how much speed matters?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Stan

Stan Producer

When I was working from home (maybe ten hours actually at the office each month) I had a 100Mb connection with Comcast. Loved tele-commuting, but will never use that company again.

But being semi-retired, I've become much more patient, don't download movies or anything huge so my exciting 3Mb with CenturyLink is actually adequate. Heck of a lot better than dial-up :cool:. The only issue is with sites that have a ton of pop-up ads and videos, but I just stop visiting them, life goes on. Sometimes I actually contact the companies in the pop-ups saying that just from the annoyance factor I'll never do business with them. Some ads have vanished, not taking credit for it, but you never know. :D

Oddly our local paper is the worst, but they did get rid of what I called "sliders". If your cursor just came near it, an entire ad would sweep across the screen. Had to move the cursor very carefully to not touch the "danger zone".

A bit faster would be nice, but CenturyLink just says "you're on the list" of areas to be upgraded. No time-line, could be years.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I was finally able to get 10Mbps down / 1Mbps up cable internet installed.

3. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Glad to hear that you were able to get another isp that's able to provide you with somewhat better service for less. 10 Mbps download speed still seems pretty slow in my book, but you take whatever you can get, I suppose.

As for us, it doesn't appear that we'll be relocating out of our current area after all, at least not this year. Disappointing on my end for a number of reasons that I won't go into here, but at least we won't have to worry about finding a new provider, for the time being - Silver linings!

CHEERS! :)

Clinton McClure likes this.
  4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I take any win I can.

My new service is costing me $50/mo which is still highway robbery for 10Mbps but easier to swallow than $100/mo for 6Mbps.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    $100 a month for 6 Mbps download speed? :P

And I thought Ma Bell was bad! When we were using them, 5 Mbps was all we could get, but it wasn't $100 for just the internet service, either!

I really HATE the way some of these companies bleed consumers dry in exchange for crappy service, just because they happen to reside in a low competition area!

Glad you were able to get a somewhat better deal, Clint. It's definitely still no great shakes, but it is what it is.

CHEERS! :)

Clinton McClure likes this.
  6. Stan

Stan Producer

The worst company to deal with. Got a smart-phone and signed up with Verizon. Billed $1100 the first month for maybe 25 phone calls (I still keep a land-line for most calls). They agreed to drop it to $600 and I still refuse to pay.

For anybody reading this thread, stay away from Verizon, horrible company.

One of my best experiences was with Comcast/Xfinity, but even they eventually failed. So many providers out there, but they all suck in one way or another.

7. Stan

Stan Producer

Strange thing, running Windows 10, so MS is always pushing "Edge". I thought my internet connection was the issue, massive slowdowns, freeze-ups, it was horrible. Often had to power down and re-boot just to get my laptop to run again.

Switched to Firefox, not a single problem. Even with a fairly slow connection it works great.

Edge just needs to go away. Don't know what they're doing, but it sucks.