What's new

What's your High Score? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Classic Arcade games or otherwise, scores you achieved you are proud of.

Joust. -- 374,800 level 21

Once in a lifetime, this was years ago, and I gave up trying to best it. I don't usually even get halfway.

I'm currently working on a little known game called Pac Man. 39,850 is kind of a joke against the real high scores out there. But it is an insanely difficult game if you aren't using the memorization method and not many people do. My goal is 50,000. Then I retire from the game.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Joust is great fun. I miss that one. go a little above, then drop down and ...... they still get me. grRRRrrr lol

I don't keep up with scores on arcade stuff. I do have a page of scores from my various Atari flashblack consoles. I've been meaning to pull those out again. I wish they'd add a save feature for scores, maybe on a memory card.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
By the way I'm basing all this on compilation arcade classic discs for PlayStation, XBOX etc. like this:
arcade.jpg

They are legit.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do any high scores involve exploiting tricks due to unintentional holes/bugs made by the original programmers which were never fixed?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Do any high scores involve exploiting tricks due to unintentional holes/bugs made by the original programmers which were never fixed?

Sure. If it was that originally that way in the arcade. Most of those tricks are pretty impossible to exploit anyway so if you can do them more power to you.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One of the more notorious holes/bugs back in the day, was in something like Galaxian or Galaga3. This bug caused all the space aliens to stop firing altogether. So the only way to "die" was to be hit directly by a swooping space alien.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My Joust score is nothing amazing, but I have a pretty decent Joust 2 score. I'll check the leaderboards next time I fire up Midway Arcade Origins and see what it is.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My Joust score is nothing amazing, but I have a pretty decent Joust 2 score. I'll check the leaderboards next time I fire up Midway Arcade Origins and see what it is.

I envy you. I can't even play that game well at all. The switching of mounts is brilliant, and makes for a deeper gaming experience, but also more complex, and chaotic...if you aren't a good player (like me).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
56,050 is my pitiful Joust score, per the XBLA leaderboards.

I wanted to give it a go just now, but the flapping was hurting my right hand with my XB1 gamepad. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to get what's hopefully carpal tunnel syndrome fixed. I'll dig out my 360 arcade stick soon and give it a go on my Xbox 360 and see if I can close the gap.

I have some scores I'm pretty proud of on the Atari Flashback Classics line of compilations. 490 on track 1 in Monte Carlo (I believe the Vita version), 43,000 on Red Baron (Vita version), and good scores I don't have recorded for Super Bug and Lunar Lander on I think my PS4. And my top Battlezone (arcade) score is just over 100,000 on Atari Anthology.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
One of the more notorious holes/bugs back in the day, was in something like Galaxian or Galaga3. This bug caused all the space aliens to stop firing altogether. So the only way to "die" was to be hit directly by a swooping space alien.

It was in the original Galaga. Not sure about the follow-up games. I don't remember any high scores because that trick basically allowed you to play until you were too tired to continue. Ah the power a single quarter used to wield!

I may be one of the few Gorf fans here but that one would also stop firing [as much anyway] once you made it past the 5th level or so. I wish i could find myself a Gorf emulation out there. I'd gladly use one of my rare and coveted wife credits to get that one. :rolleyes:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't really track my high scores. I do have Gorgor on pinball arcade, I'll have a look when I get home.

Not a high score, but I remember the first time seeing DOUBLE DRAGON and the arcade and running the thing to the end with my cousin on a buck each of quarters on our first play. That might be as good as I got, I was typically pants at the arcade style games. Still am!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Not a high score, but I remember the first time seeing DOUBLE DRAGON and the arcade and running the thing to the end with my cousin on a buck each of quarters on our first play. That might be as good as I got, I was typically pants at the arcade style games. Still am!

Now here is a game with not so much a glitch, but an easy way to beat it on very few quarters. The "Elbow" move. Punch + Jump Joystick left or right.

I elbowed my way through the entire game. Last level got tricky with spears, and end boss.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Got my personal goal score of 50,000 on Pac Man today. 51,360.

So relieved, I'm never touching that game again!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was pretty good at Centipede back in the day, though I don't recall my high score. I even had an Atari 5200 with a trackball controller for a while in my youth to play at home. No idea where it went.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I always liked Centipede. I played it all the time back in the early 80's. Never really got good at it, but had a blast playing it. Probably the best track ball game ever made. So much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks