What's new

Whats your favorite sub and surround sound demo? (1 Viewer)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
For outright creepiness in surround, I have to nominate LOTR:FOTR during the scene when Galadriel greets the fellowship. The moment while she is speaking with her voice to the group, and then speaks to Frodo in his mind definitely causes upraised hackles. Try it with your eyes shut!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
For outright creepiness in surround, I have to nominate LOTR:FOTR during the scene when Galadriel greets the fellowship. The moment while she is speaking with her voice to the group, and then speaks to Frodo in his mind definitely causes upraised hackles. Try it with your eyes shut!

Eric Eash

Second Unit

this right here confirms my suspicion about the def tech subs. until you've heard this scene on an extremely capable sub like an IB, diy, everest or B4+, you won't know what you're missing. this scene makes my whole house ache. the scene brings with it a huge spectrum of bass that extends way lower than what the supercube can reproduce. maybe you'll see the light with dual velos, if they are 18s anyway.

Eric Eash

Second Unit

this right here confirms my suspicion about the def tech subs. until you've heard this scene on an extremely capable sub like an IB, diy, everest or B4+, you won't know what you're missing. this scene makes my whole house ache. the scene brings with it a huge spectrum of bass that extends way lower than what the supercube can reproduce. maybe you'll see the light with dual velos, if they are 18s anyway.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Some great suggestions. I'm about two weeks away from getting my 4 surrounds, and I am anxious to try out 5.1 & DTS- FINALLY. Not to sound too stupid- but what is "Darla Tapping SceneS"???

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Some great suggestions. I'm about two weeks away from getting my 4 surrounds, and I am anxious to try out 5.1 & DTS- FINALLY. Not to sound too stupid- but what is "Darla Tapping SceneS"???

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
nah, i said that its loud and its cool, but its nothing for a demo. it lasts just a second or so.

it just doesnt get my off or anything. all im saying is ive heard deeper and better. for instance, the blue man group dvda track "club nowhere" is an example. on my sub, it obliterates the darla thing.

i love this forum, if it aint SVS its crap.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
nah, i said that its loud and its cool, but its nothing for a demo. it lasts just a second or so.

it just doesnt get my off or anything. all im saying is ive heard deeper and better. for instance, the blue man group dvda track "club nowhere" is an example. on my sub, it obliterates the darla thing.

i love this forum, if it aint SVS its crap.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
The new disney movie the haunted mansion has a scene at the end with some very intense bass. Quite a workout for my tiny mighty.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
The new disney movie the haunted mansion has a scene at the end with some very intense bass. Quite a workout for my tiny mighty.

terence

Supporting Actor

Come on now Robert!

No one said that or anything about what's in your theater. I just don't understand where that comment came from? I'm sure what ever you have is fine, and if you like it that's all that matters.

terence

Supporting Actor

Come on now Robert!

No one said that or anything about what's in your theater. I just don't understand where that comment came from? I'm sure what ever you have is fine, and if you like it that's all that matters.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Eric Eash (above) trashed on Def Tech subs in specific response to Robert's post about Darla not being a big deal. And Robert does own a DT SC Reference (soon to be upgraded to twin Velo HGS). So him taking a burn to that comment was perfectly understandable.

Eric owns a DIY dual AV-15 subwoofer that presumably (from his signature block) can hit 120 dB @ 10 Hz. Since Eric doesn't own an SVS, the second half of Robert's comment was probably not warranted (at least from anything in this thread).

FWIW, assuming Robert is upgrading (at probably a killer price) to the now OOP Velo HGS-18, the list of subs that can run with DUAL HGS-18's is very short; even standing in the shadow of the DD-18, it remains an outstanding subwoofer by any measure.

I saw a reference earlier to the time stamps in my sub reviews; anyone is welcome to cut and paste that stuff into other threads.

In fact, over time, I'll be adding hotlinks for waterfall charts to accompany the listed scenes. And I'm going to add to the music section too. I'll just bump the thread whenever I make any significant changes to the PB2-Ultra review.

Ed

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Eric Eash (above) trashed on Def Tech subs in specific response to Robert's post about Darla not being a big deal. And Robert does own a DT SC Reference (soon to be upgraded to twin Velo HGS). So him taking a burn to that comment was perfectly understandable.

Eric owns a DIY dual AV-15 subwoofer that presumably (from his signature block) can hit 120 dB @ 10 Hz. Since Eric doesn't own an SVS, the second half of Robert's comment was probably not warranted (at least from anything in this thread).

FWIW, assuming Robert is upgrading (at probably a killer price) to the now OOP Velo HGS-18, the list of subs that can run with DUAL HGS-18's is very short; even standing in the shadow of the DD-18, it remains an outstanding subwoofer by any measure.

I saw a reference earlier to the time stamps in my sub reviews; anyone is welcome to cut and paste that stuff into other threads.

In fact, over time, I'll be adding hotlinks for waterfall charts to accompany the listed scenes. And I'm going to add to the music section too. I'll just bump the thread whenever I make any significant changes to the PB2-Ultra review.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks