What's new

Whats your favorite sub and surround sound demo? (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
For sub, I would say "The Haunting" DTS, especially on that "coming mother scene"... felt like my place is coming down...

For surround, I like "Open Range". At the beginning of the movie where the rain starts pouring and the thunders... just amazing and so real...

AL,

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
For sub, I would say "The Haunting" DTS, especially on that "coming mother scene"... felt like my place is coming down...

For surround, I like "Open Range". At the beginning of the movie where the rain starts pouring and the thunders... just amazing and so real...

AL,

Rutgar

Second Unit

I love this DVD! Not quite the impact of really hearing them live, but pretty damn close!

- Rutgar

Rutgar

Second Unit

I love this DVD! Not quite the impact of really hearing them live, but pretty damn close!

- Rutgar

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
"Darkness Falls" for the best surround usage, throughout the entire film. Hard to believe, but I still haven't heard better!

Rent it and see what I mean!

terence

Supporting Actor

Good Call Steve, i will co-sign on those flix as well. I can't beleive i left out Gladiator/dts of course. :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I'll second that. Not the best, and not a great movie, but DAMN good surround usage. BladeII DTS-ES is up there too.

GregBe

Second Unit
steve nn and terence,

I haven't watched Deep Blue Sea in some time. I think I will pop that in tonight. Do you recall what scenes were particularly impressive.

Greg

GregBe

Second Unit
MuneebM

I love the format of the linked thread you started, and appreciate your willingness to compile it. If we can get that thread going, I think it would be awesome. Ed Mullen has two terrific lists in his SVS SB2-Plus and SB2-Ultra threads that are time stamped for specific bass scenes. I am sure he wouldn't mind if you copied those into your thread.

Greg

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
steve nn and terence,

I haven't watched Deep Blue Sea in some time. I think I will pop that in tonight. Do you recall what scenes were particularly impressive.

Greg
__________________________________________________ _______

After the first twenty minutes or so it's a total BASS ROMP!

>>You know terence if it weren't for me being able to see my video's as I type. I would have forgotten quit a few. I missed "Saving P R" and I was looking right at it. The list is so long now that it would take a roll of TP to list them all.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Master and Commander has my favorite surround sound, and I like the Darla scence for Finding Nemo for bass. Fight Club also is a great bass demo disc.

I know its not a DVD but Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon SACD has some of my favorite bass/surround.. sounds.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
fight club is my favorite for bass, for surround use i like snatch and requiem for a dream. also, if you can get a hold of a thx trailer dvd, do it. my favorite thx trailer is "Grand" and it is way better than the SW:EP1 thx trailer.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i just want to add my piece here.

i think the darla scene from finding nemo is lame personally. it takes time to queue up and lasts a second or two. hardly a good demo. secondly, its really not that great of bass. ive heard deeper and better.

for my money, i would say this:

surround experience:

saving private ryan
swe2

bass experience:

emerson lake and palmer DVDA
blue man group DVDA
flaming lips DVDA
Bjork DVDA
car crash scene in punch drunk love superbit (both actuallY)

the "OMG i watched that movie but it was nothing like that on MY sytstem" experience:

resident evil superbit
requiem for a dream
donnie darko

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
oh, btw jesse, you are still invited to take a listen to my system. in a month i will have new toys, im getting rid of my supercube reference (upgrade bug again), and getting dual velodyne HGS's, and finally getting rid of my dvd-2200 for the almighty dvd-5900. i should have both in a month. along with another set of audioquest jaguars.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One subwoofer demo scene that stands out for me is LOTR: FOTR EE when the witch king is slain and his explosion causes a shock wave. Very nice transient that moves from the upper bass frequencies down to the lower bass frequencies to the point where you can feel it.

A surround demo film that stands out for me is A Bug's Life that has voices coming from discrete surround speakers for instance. "Bug City" is one such scene in the film, the part where Flik arrives and almost gets ran into by the bug traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks