What's new

What's your favorite pie? (1 Viewer)

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
It's not just the type of pie, but the preparation.

My faves - pecan, but only when it's real pecany. Don't care for those with the thin layer of pecans and a thick layer of the gooey filling.

also- grandma's cherry pie. She always did the cross-hatched top crust. That always makes a fruit pie yummier- when you can see the little squares of fruity goodness poking out at you. Never liked the fruit pies with a solid sheet of top crust.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Yes, that purple pie on the previous page is the Haupia Sweet Potato Pie. It uses Okinawan Sweet Potatoes, which is that deep purple. This is pretty common here and served at various restaurants. I was looking up a recipe for it and saw some comments that apparently Okinawan Sweet Potatoes are NOT available all over. I hadn't realized that!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The haupia layer (white layer on top) is basically made of coconut milk. I personally dislike coconut; however, this preparation and combination just tastes good together.

Here is a link to the page where I saw the picture and recipe (which I'm tempted to try making):

http://maona.net/archives/2005/11/sweet_potato_an.php

Mike, do you have this type of sweet potato available there?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Sour Cream Apple Pie
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I like making pies, and my friends come to me for pie making lessons.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't think so. I've never seen them...but, then again, I've never really gone looking for them before. You can be sure I'll be keeping my eyes open now. Something tells me, though, they'd be hard to come across on the east coast.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today which has the Haupia Sweet Potato Pie on its dessert menu. Was too full today, but sure wanted one after all this talk! :)

That Okinawan Sweet Potato is also commonly used locally for the filling of various pastries, manju or manapua.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I made a raspberry pie-ish sort of thing tonight (didn't really have enough crust or filling for an entire pie, so I sort of folded up the sides over the filling like a turnover-type of thing).

Not sure what it tastes like (still cooling), but it smells good and isn't too scary looking.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
1 - I love pecan pie with lots of Cool Whip. I make it using the recipe on the Karo Syrup bottle. I also like the light better than the dark.

2 - Sugar Cream (sometimes called Chess Pie)

3 - Good ol' Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks