what's your favorite performance DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm sure it's been discussed before. But I was watching my NIN "and all that could have been" DVD for the first time since I watched it the night I bought it, the DTS track just blows me away every time I hear it. It just seems to be mixed perfectly. Makes my poor quality HT really shine [​IMG]
    So, what's your favorite performance/music DVD and why?
    the only other one I own is radiohead's "meeting people is easy" the audio isn't the best, but it's more of a documentary anyway [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Unfortunately, I didn't know there was a DTS version of All That Could Have Been on the day of release or I would have bought that instead. The DD ver is still quite impressive anyway.
    I'll have to go with the standards, and two of my favorites: Eagles:Hell Freezes Over and Diana Krall:Live in Paris. Both have exceptional mixes ontop of great performances, IMO.
    This has been discussed recently. See this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=7719

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't understand, my DVD has both DD and DTS [​IMG] it's the first option before it gets to the menu, it asks right there dd or dts then goes into the main menu. That would be odd to have 2 versions, a double disc set should have plenty of room for both tracks [​IMG]

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Best performance DVD? There are a lot of good ones out there, but hands down, no question, the best one is STOP MAKING SENSE. This is one of the best if not the best concert films ever made.

-greg

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Unfortunately, there are two versions. On the DD version, the only selections are DD 5.1 and DD Stereo. I am curious if the DTS version is half bitrate or full bitrate? Now I NEED to find out...[​IMG] If it's full bitrate, I will get rid of the DD version. Might be why it's two discs? But then why even have a 5.1/stereo version at all, if the 5.1 track is included on the DTS version?

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it HAS to be full bitrate, hell it can't be much over 1 hour run time, and it's on 2 discs?
    now I HAVE to check I could sweat it's DD 5.1 and DTS. BRB [​IMG]
    I'll be damn, you're right [​IMG] DTS and dolby stereo. I didn't even look when I bought it at broken buy, I was so pissed they didn't have the set with the CD and dvd in stock that I grabbed a dvd and left without reading it. Guess I lucked out. You're welcome to borrow mine if you want to compare.
    I thought the picture quality was pretty good, considering how it was filmed. I feel it did a GREAT job of capturing the "feel" of a live concert, not many concery videos do that very well.

8. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Yes, the DTS version is full bitrate.

Holy crap, I just noticed you're from Grand Forks too. Small world.

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Premonition - John Fogerty.

10. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

"Diana Krall Live In Paris" is the best that I've seen and heard so far with "Stop Making Sense" my #2 choice.

11. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

I second Stop Making Sense. It sounds SO sweet. Tied for first in my collection is Alice in Chains - Unplugged. I could listen to that a million times.

Here's something weird. The Bruce Springsteen 2-disc set is a mixed bag. The first disc (the actual HBO special) sounds very nice, but the second disc sounds bright and harsh. Seems they spent more time on the first set because it was on HBO-HD in DD. Weird, because the second disc IS DD, but sounds icky.

Honorable mention goes to Santana - Supernatural Live. That is a great disc.

NP: Yes - Keystudio

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

King Crimson: Deja VROOOM

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Pearl Jam - Single Video Theory

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff Keene: I never really noticed any depreciation of the sound quality on the second disc of the Springsteen set - HOWEVER - there was some warning about this title, and the second disc in particular:

If you are not listening to the disc in 5.1 - that is you are listening to a "stereo fold down" of the DD 5.1 track, be aware that there was a noted encoding problem in the fold-down matrix that causes crappy sound and volume pumping on disc 2. A replacement was never offered because -
    1) The DD soundtrack on disc 2 sounds fine when played in 5.1 and
    2) There is a stereo PCM track, which sounds fine in stereo or Dolby Surround.

The only thing to remeber is that you must select the PCM track from the menu - the disc defaults to the DD 5.1 track.

18. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

19. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Underworld's "Everything Everything LIVE" DVD is fantastic (if you're into their sort of music). The 5.1 audio never sounds distracting or gimmicky, there are multiple angles during the concert (one is the actual live performance, the other is the 'tomato art' which is shown on the giant screen during the show.
    One of the most hypnotizing musical DVDs I own; highly recommended if you're into trance/techno. Really classy menus as well.
    Joseph

20. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Alex - I appreciate it, but I am indeed using the 5.1 track in 5.1. There is a definite differnece in sound quality between the two discs. One thing I haven't tried is listening with THX turned on. That may tone down the brightness, but not for the right reasons.

I'm intrigued about the PJ disc. Unfortunately I can't find it on Netflix. Anybody else want to convince me to buy it sight unheard?