What's new

What's Your Favorite Live Concert CD/album ? (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Genesis: Seconds Out Right when Phil Collins took over lead vocals for Peter Gabriel, he smokes with the rest of the original band members cuts from Trick of the Tail as well as Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. A lot of it takes place in Paris and the crowd is very responsive. The keyboard solos and patented drum duets are top notch. I love pre-80's Genesis music and this album pretty much captures these musicians at their best.
One of my all-time favorites is the UFO live album recording at the International Amphatheater in Chicago. "Lights Out" is classic live stuff that always got my motor runn'n, along with REO Speedwagon's live rendition of Riding The Storm Out". And how can I not mention Peter Frampton's double live album? These are the classic live albums I grew up with.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Who: Live At Leeds THE ORIGINAL SHORT VERSION WITH POPS ONLY. I have the single disc "extended" version that came out in the mid-90s, and I've avoided picking up the "super extended" version with Tommy. The original version is far far superior to the complete recordings. The flow from song to song, the song selection, the rough "bootleg" sounding recording that actually sounds like a real concert, it's perfect. The Perfect Live Album.
Nothing else is even worth typing in the same post as this classic.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I won't claim it's the greatest live album ever, but Wings Over America will ALWAYS be my favorite. Man, did I wear that sucker out as a kid. I have absolutely no objectivity toward that album. I love it and can't imagine not enjoying it...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
On the jazz front, I have to include Wes Montgomery's Full House to my earlier list. It just don't get much better than that.

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
The Grateful Dead... hmmmm, lots of choices. You really can't go wrong with anything from May of 1977.

my personal favorites from that month...

5-7-77, 5-9-77, 5-18-77, 5-19-77, 5-21-77, 5-28-77.

The Dicks Picks Series has some tasty choices as well...

#3 (5-22-77)

#5 (12-28-79)

#8 (5-2-70)

#10 (12-28-77)

#11(9-27-72)

#12 (6-26 & 6-28-74)

#18 (4-3 & 4-5-78)

#19 (10-19-73)

MikeAW

Second Unit
For the Dead, I'm usually not interested in anything past their "Anthem of the Sun" period.

"Live Dead"...the remaster of same included in "The Golden Road" set, "Bear's Choice", and the whole of "So Many Roads" box set, plus various "Dick's Picks" releases confirm their place...FIRMLY...in the pantheon of Rock Music...as a solid Live music act.

Whether you like them, is another question and up to you.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
have to say it's The Tragically Hip, Live between us. Great show, awesome live sound and CANADIAN

must agree with the tom cochrane symphony sessions I believe he did that with red rider as well. Canadian too.

Brad Uebinger

Auditioning
O.K. I'll have to put in my two cents worth here. I, too, have enjoyed many live albums, including several that have been listed here, already (i.e. Waiting for Columbus by Little Feat, Seconds Out by Genesis, etc...).
But I've always felt that the ultimate live rock and roll album of all time has to be... (big dramatic pause): "Live Bullet" by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. IMHO, this is the live album that all others aspire to. Perfect blend of R&B tunes with straight ahead R&R. Smokin' band. Seger has the perfect voice for R&R.
I bought this album as a teenager and, literally wore the grooves out. Bought a second copy of the record album and wore that one out, too. Bought it on 8 track tape and, well, needless to say, that didn't last long. Finally bought it on CD. Still got the CD. Still take it out on "special occasions" like it was a fine wine or something.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Seger seems to have gone into semi-seclusion, at least music release wise, with his on again off again committment to a new album of songs that everyone has been looking forward to since 1998 ! Sad, because he has the classic Rock and Roll singing voice, and coupled with his usually competent backing band, his activity has been sorely missed and needed in the Music World !

His manager of many years, Punch is busy managing of Kid Rock and giving out hopeful press blurbs about Seger. The most recent press report had Seger winning a yacht race in Port Huron MI, and that was last July 2001..and they he said he was finishing the new album sessions that August and hoping for a Christmas release!

Who knows what's going on here with this guy, right ? Sounds strange !

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Gotta agree with DanaA,

Van Morrison Too Late to Stop Now is fantastic. Add that one to my list. It's been so long I forgot about this one. Sensational!

Brad Uebinger

Auditioning
I don't know what's up with Seger's irregular album & touring schedule. I thought that at one time there was a press release that said that he had cancer of the esophagus and wouldn't be performing anymore. I guess that's not the case. But, anyway, I've never held it against any artist for not recording more or touring more. It may be nothing more than the fact that they have other priorities in their lives (like family, for instance) that they want to focus on rather than to keep working long after they've already said what they want to say artistically and made their fortune. You can't hold that against them.
I also must concur with those who have identified Morrison's "It's Too Late to Stop Now" as a masterpiece. A truly incredible recording. Of course, Morrison has always been almost God-like, as far as I'm concerned. Every disk that has his name on it is incredible (except I didn't really like the other live album -- the one at the Grand Opera House). I'd have a terrible time just trying to pick my favorite Morrison album of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks