What's new

What's your favorite "Feel Good" movie? (2 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The other night we were watching Cool Runnings and my bride mentioned that she really enjoyed a "feel good" movie. She is an expert being the Queen of Hallmark movie channel. But she is right (always) - sometimes it is good to watch a film that may not be great art but gives you that uplift of spirit at the finish. Yes, they are usually corny - schmaltzy - you name it... but they still make you "feel good" when the end credits roll.

So I thought I'd ask - what are your favorite feel good movies. Not looking for a list but movies that you personally relate to and maybe even why. Guilty pleasures are a necessity here for many so let your hair down. This is a no judgement zone.

One of mine is 7 Faces of Dr. Lao "The whole world is a circus if you know how to look at it. Every time you watch a rainbow and feel wonder in your heart. Every time you pick up a handful of dust, and see not the dust, but a mystery, a marvel, there in your hand. Every time you stop and think, "I'm alive, and being alive is fantastic!" Every time such a thing happens, you're part of the Circus of Dr. Lao."

So let's have at it. Kleenexes optional. (should that be Kleenesees? Kleeni?)

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I think I've mentioned this before in another thread--my inexplicable adoration of "Man's Favorite Sport?" (1964) with Rock Hudson and Paula Prentiss. It's formulaic, predictable and generally silly. But I can close my eyes and just listen to Paula's low smoky voice and I don't care.
Oh, she's kinda pretty, too.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Good idea for a thread.++

Sense and Sensibility (1995) comes to mind. And....
Back to the Future
Aladdin (1992)
Spirited Away
Groundhog Day
etc.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
For me, To Kill a Mockingbird.
Wow, Matt--there's no doubt in my mind that To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the greatest movies of all time, but "feel good" is not an adjective I'd apply to it. Now, forgive me--I'm not disparaging your choice because that's certainly your right for sure. From my own perspective, that movie scared the hell out of me. As a kid, Boo Radley may as well have been the monster under my bed. Bob Ewell, hiding in the woods at night as Scout and Jem walked home from the school party nearly made me avoid any significant clump of trees for a long time.
As I was older and became cognizant of the racial implications in the film--the dark side of humanity it portrayed was shattering.

That being said, I will admit there was no better 'feel good' ending ever produced than that of Atticus sitting next to Jem's bedside as Scout's narration explained "..and he would be with Jem all night...and he would still be there in the morning when he woke up."

So..I guess now that I've written this, I disagree and agree with you. I'm old. I waffle.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Field of Dreams - A film that never fails to affect me. There are some emotional effects that might not lie in the province of 'feel good' movies, but the overall impact of the film qualifies it for me. If for no other reason than the reunion at the end of the film.

Some Like it Hot - And now for something completely different. This has been my favorite comedy for decades and nothing else has supplanted it, although I am going to list one more film that comes close...

Harvey - Just a charming film with an effortless performance by Jimmy Stewart. Easily one of my all time favorites that always endears itself to me. One of those handful of films that I can practically watch anytime.

There are others to be sure, but these films always have a very positive effect upon me.

- Walter.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Field of Dreams - A film that never fails to affect me. There are some emotional effects that might not lie in the province of 'feel good' movies, but the overall impact of the film qualifies it for me. If for no other reason than the reunion at the end of the film.
- Walter.

I would definitely put Field of Dreams on the list.

I think there are different kinds of feel good movies. Some are just light - funny - fuzzy just a joy to enjoy. I think your Some Like it Hot qualifies as does Radiomans Alice in Wonderland. Some have an inspirational message or good triumphs over evil films like Harvey or Walking Tall. Some have lots of human emotion and/or love. Field of Dreams and Easter Parade have lots of emotion and also love.

Of course these films defy being qualified so I'm sure many could or will disagree with my attempts to do so. And many have elements from more than one of these criteria. The final analysis is still - does it uplift your spirit when you watch.

Reactions: PMF

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The Great Race - When I was a kid the whole family would watch it whenever it was on and not only is it just a fun movie it carries happy memories with it. 7 Faces of Dr Lao is definitely another one.
Something I missed. A film that makes you feel good (in part) because of memories of when and with whom you watched it. That in itself doesn't make one a feel good movie but it sure adds a lot to it. I bet many holiday films score on this front. Not only feel good but we typically watched with family.
And yea - at least two of us like 7 Faces.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Great thread Idea

A few come to mind instantly
ahem...
Chitty, Chitty, Bang. Bang
Mary Poppins (original recipe please)
Airplane!
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad, World
Fantasia (all flavors)
Top Gun
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
(Blake Edwards') The Party
9-5
First Nudie Musical ...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When Boo Radley is revealed behind the door, I'm always awash with tears and they remain for the remainder of the film. True, it has some heartrending parts, real tragedy and some scares, but there are so many lighthearted moments, too, and for a Southern boy like me, so much about this movie brings back my childhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks