What's your favorite Dave Matthews Band live cd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Well...the title pretty much sums it up. I can't add much more besides my favorite. I'm a fan of Listener Supported...I think. I love Live at Red Rocks, also. Hell, I don't know. I haven't heard Live in Chicago. What do you guys think? Later!

Rob

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

All 3 have their strengths, as well as the Five Song Live CD that was given out (and voted on) by their fan club. If you're a serious DMB fan, I'd say get all three (four if you can get the fan club one). One day I'm going to cull my fave performances from all of them onto a couple of CDs for long road trips...

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Sorry, but "Listener Supported" is my least favorite. To me, it sounds slow, like the band is stuck in the mud. I really like Red Rocks and Luther College. Chicago is really good as well as the band's energy level seems sky high. It also contains "The Maker" which is a great tune!

4. Carlo Medina

That's actually why Listener (at least Disc 1) is one of my faves! Too often I hear live acts going too fast. I am a musician too and when I'm playing for people sometimes I speed things up because I'm nervous. DMB sounds like they are in total control in Listener Supported and I think the slow pace is deliberate (they pick it up by the end of Disc 2 with Don't Drink... and Watchtower).

Just my opinion, of course.

5. Carlo Medina

Cool live news, DMB announced that a CD and DVD of their 2001 Folsom Field show is coming this Fall. Here's the set list (looks promising) - I saw the Dodger stadium show of this tour, where John Popper played with them, that show was great - very energetic.

When The World Ends *
    So Right *
    Big Eyed Fish (segue into...)
    Bartender
    What You Are *
    Crash *
    Everyday *+
    I Did It *+
    If I Had It All *+
    Angel *+
    Warehouse *
    Recently
    Digging a Ditch
    What Would You Say
    Watchtower *
    The Space Between *+
    Stay *+

Two Step *
    Ants Marching *

Special Guests:
    * Butch Taylor
    + Tawatha, Cindy & Brenda

Corrected set list below...

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Well I have to be partial to "Listener Supported" since I was at the show. You can't see me in the video though, unless you can pick a head out of the crowd that was a good 5 sections away from the stage on the lower level of the Continental Airlines Arena.

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My favorite is still Live at Red Rocks. I have all three live CDs. Some of the tracks on their debut, Remember Two Things are also live, but that can't be considered a live CD. I am looking forward to the new one.

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Yikes...this setlist is basically "Everyday-Live"!!! Perhaps an attempt to sell more of the Everyday CD? Hmmm...

I'm a HUGE DMB fan, but sorry I'll be skipping this one.

When The World Ends *
    So Right *
    Big Eyed Fish (segue into...)
    Bartender
    What You Are *
    Crash *
    Everyday *+
    I Did It *+
    If I Had It All *+
    Angel *+
    Warehouse *
    Recently
    Digging a Ditch
    What Would You Say
    Watchtower *
    The Space Between *+
    Stay *+

Two Step *
    Ants Marching *

9. Carlo Medina

Ron, I won't try to talk you out of it, but I will say that while Everyday is my least (by far) liked DMB album, the live versions sound a bit better. It's like the rest of the band is saying "Look we can make these songs sound better than what Dave and Glen Ballard had us put down on the album..." Granted it's not their trademark 10+ minute jam on a song, but I liked the Everyday songs more when I heard them in concert this summer.

Live versions for these songs make the set worth it for me:
    Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, Angel, Everyday, Digging a Ditch, Stay, Recently, Warehouse (I can never get sick of the different live variations of this song), Two Step, and Ants Marching.

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Carlo,

11. Carlo Medina

Totally agree! When they played the #36/Everyday version at Staples Center, people caught on. So the next night, at Irvine Meadows...er...Verizon Amphitheater...Dave & Co were just playing Everyday, and the crowd starts chanting the #36 vocals. Dave got this look on his face that said "cool!" and kept going with it. Hopefully a similar jam will be on the upcoming DVD/CD.

Plus I'll keep buying live DMB DVDs until the cows come home simply because I keep trying to learn his songs and often it shows where his hands are on the neck (and no, the net tabs don't get them right a lot of the time).

12. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Carlo,

13. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Ron-
    Dave has had a profound impact on my playing as well, probably because we play so similarly. I put more emphasis on right hand style than left hand--I'm a rhythm/groove junkie. Dave Matthews and Ani DiFranco are good comparisons to the way I play guitar, I have an almost brutally percussive style. It's always been easy for me to pick up on Dave's stuff due to the similarities or our styles. It's fun stuff to play.
    As for the new live CD to be released in Fall '02, I'll definitely be picking it up. You know what? They need to pick a show that doesn't contain Watchtower. I mean, their rendition kicks ass, but how many Live Dave CD's have Watchtower on them. All of them!? [​IMG]

14. Carlo Medina

Ron,

I guess I'll give Cherry Lane another chance. I saw a friend's book for the transcription to Cry Freedom, and I was confounded at first how to make those chords, and then I figured out if I played them lower on the neck in a different position it was a lot easier and actually sounded more like how Dave plays it live. But that was just one example, maybe the rest of the transcriptions are spot on. Cry Freedom was just my fave at the time and seeing them put out that transcription kind of soured me on it.

Actually, the stuff on the web can get me pretty close, and since I don't have Dave's skill or dexterity, a lot of times "close is enough" because I simplify what he plays anyway - since I'm usually solo on my guitar playing for friends.

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Andy,

16. Carlo Medina

Ah Crap, I just realized I cut and pasted the wrong set list for the Folsom Field show (I thought they did JTR and it's not on the one I posted above). So I went back to nancies.org and looked it up. Here is the correct set list for the upcoming live DMB DVD:

Setlist
    Don't Drink the Water *
    JTR *+
    When The World Ends *
    So Right *
    Fish Monkey Man -->
    Bartender
    What You Are *
    Crash Into Me *
    Everyday (#36) *+
    I Did It *+
    If I Had It All *+
    Angel *+
    Warehouse *
    Recently
    Digging a Ditch
    What Would You Say
    All Along the Watchtower *
    The Space Between *+
    Stay *+
    encore:
    Two Step *
    Ants Marching *

* Butch Taylor on keys
    + Tawatha, Cindy & Brenda on vocals

17. Carlo Medina

My first thought: 21 songs. That's not much room for jamming. And yes, it still has a lot of Everyday songs.

But I am excited for: DDTW, JTR, Bartender, Everyday/#36, and basically everything from Angel on to the end of the setlist!