What's new

What's your favorite chili recipe for Super Bowl ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
We've got a few people coming over and need to jazz up my chili recipe. I've got some tenderloin tips thawing in the fridge and some chipotle peppers in adobe sauce. Mix together with some tomatoes, onions, etc and chili powder....

The chipotles and adobe sauce adds a nice smoky, hot flavor. What's your favorite chili ingredients ?

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
there is a good chili recipe in the culinary section at another popular HT forum right now. email me and i'll send you the link.

my fav chili ingredients...shrimp, oysters, scallops, lump crab meat, and crab claws. oh wait, thats
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
gumbo!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
ayiiiiieeee! good ol cajun chili.

seriously though, i always do my chili on the cheap and easy using carol shelbys brand chili seasonings. comes in a lil brown paper bag. its very good.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I always add beer andor cognac... yes, cognac. I just made a batch tonight (con carne, no beans :) ) I added 2 TB of Hennessy, my special ingredient.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Not nearly as impressive sounding but here's my recipe:

Dice up 3 or 4 thick slices of leftover Tri-Tip roast (Ya gotta be from Fresno to know what tri-tip is).

Place diced tri-tip in large microwave safe bowl. Add 1/2 chopped onion and 2 cans Stagg Dynamite Hot chili with beans. stir well. Slice up 1/3 loaf Mexican Velveeta about 1/4 inch thick and place on top. Cover with paper plate and Nuke on High for 5 min, let stand in nuker 2 minutes, add Tabasco sauce to taste and stir to blend in the velveeta.

Serve with corn tortillas deep fried in 400 degree oil until stiffening but not crisp, or over deep-fried Ore-Ida steak fries. Serves 1 very hungry person or 2 normal people.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Kirk sounds like more of a chili artiste while I'm a chili cheater. I begin with a chili starter product and improvise.

Three of the ingredients that I always add are garlic, green Tabasco and soy sauce.

I've got a crock pot full of chili chillin' right now, waiting to be reheated (also important) for game day.

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I kinda cheat myself. I use a Carol Shelby Chili Kit and use either ground chicken breast or beef (if the GF is not home), saute it in olive oil, diced green chilis, chopped onion and garlic. While the meat is browning I put my spices in from the kit as well as some cumin, chili powder and ground black pepper. Not all though since it will dry out...Once the meat is fully cooked and seasoned...I put in a can of tomato paste and 1.5 to 2 cans of water and mix it all up and let simmer for an hour or a few depending on time. Stirring occasionally.

Add the remainder of the spices here...maybe some extra ground cayene (sp?), sliced jalepeno peppers, black beans and dark red kidney beans and let simmer for a little while longer. And we are ready to roll.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Hmmm.... I've been called a lot of things, but "artiste" is a new one. ;) I do admit that I'm using a 6-Gun starter kit, but only because it was cheaper than buying separate spice containers of cumin, chili powder, etc (I only make chili a few times a year). No way am I using that dried garlic !

Thanks for the suggestions ! I also should have mentioned I also add beer and tequila (1 shot for the recipe, 2 shots for the cook !). Maybe a little lime on the side :D

This year my new ingredient is going to be finely sliced bacon. I did hot italian sausage last year, but "the wiff" didn't like it that much.

Let the game begin !

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m bringing this one back due to a side discussion on chili in the ‘steamed cheeseburger’ thread. Plus with both the NHL and NBA playoffs going on, this recipe makes for a great Sunday afternoon. It really only takes 2 1/2 –3 hours to prepare and is not at all hard. You can do other things most of the time But you will need a food processor or blender to pull this one off—or a lot of elbow grease.

[soapbox]This is a real chili, consisting only of meat and spices. Although I do make many different chilies that include other ingredients, I present chili in its purest form. This won’t be very hot if you use only the minimum number of chilies recommended, but it is full of flavor. The technique used here is designed to get as much of the flavor of the chili and other spices into the meat, so try not to skip the steps or speed up the cooking time.[/soapbox]

This makes enough for 10–15 people. If you don’t have that many you can freeze the remainder for another day. Or just scale down the recipe by 50%
·Crumble up 12–15 dried ancho chilies and 15–20 dried red chilies (the long skinny ones) after deseeding them. If you are really picky you can remove the inner veins, but I usually don’t bother. The anchos really add flavor, so please don’t reduce past the recommend amount. And pour 7 cups of boiling water over the chilies. Let these soak for at least 30 minutes.
·While they are soaking cube 6 lbs. of chuck or round steak into 1/2'” cubes. This is easiest if you get the butcher to give you 1/2" slices. Chuck is not quite so lean as round, so it has a bit more flavor, but either works well. In a stockpot or big casserole cook the meat cook the meat in fat. The best fat is rendered from beef suet (you can sometimes get this from a butcher). You can use a neutral oil like canola if you can’t get beef fat. You will need about 1/2 cup or so. Do not brown the meat, just cook over medium heat, turning often. The red color should be gone. This won’t take long.
·Drain the water from the chilies and save both the water and the chilies. The water now has a lot of chili flavor. Pour about 2/3 of the chili water over the meat. Add a half-dozen bay leaves and bring to a boil quickly. Then reduce the heat so that that it just simmers. Put on a cover, but set it askew, so that it is not tight. Simmer for 1 hour.
·While the meat is cooking, toast 2 Tablespoons of cumin seeds (use a small frying pan over low to moderate hear for about 10 minutes). This may seem a bit picky, but it does help some—you can pass if pressed for time and just use the cumin seeds from a jar.
·Then get your food processor (if using a blender you may need to do this in 2 or more batches) and pour in the rest of the chili water. Add the cumin seeds, about 5 TB chopped garlic, about 2 TB dried oregano, and maybe 5 or 6 TB Hungarian paprika (Hungarian is by far the best, but if this is too exotic, use domestic) a couple of TB of both salt and sugar. Also add all of the chilies that had been soaked in the water.
·Blend this mixture until it is a paste or purée.
·Now add to the pot with the cooked meat and chili water. Bring to a simmer again and cook for another 1/2 hour—with the cover again just a bit askew.
·Cook some pinto beans (or red kidney, if you must) and rice, while this is going on.
·Now bring the chili back to a boil and add yellow cornmeal to the chili, stirring all the while. Just stir with one hand and add the cornmeal with the other a little at a time (sort of a stream) The idea here is to thicken the chili. You will probably use about 5 or 6 TB. But use less (or none) if you think that the chili is thick enough already.
·Taste and correct seasoning (salt). You may want to add ground cayenne at this point if you like your chili hotter. I would think at least a teaspoon and perhaps 2 tablespoons. Or so.

Now you can serve. Beans and rice on the side. Some people prefer cornbread to rice. The beans do not go into the chili. This is Texas-style.

I like to have a bowl of chopped white onion and another of grated yellow cheese on the side along with the beans and rice. The chili goes into individual bowls and each person can top their chili with onions and/or cheese. Some plates for the rice and beans. If the chili is thick enough that can be served on a plate as well.

This is fabulous chili—full of flavor and not exceptionally hot. I actually think that it is about medium, but YMMV.

A good clean, crisp beer goes well with this. Or two.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Though I have been unable to acquire the recipe. The 2 chilis that are the usual norm for us at the SUperbowl parties have been:

A white Chili.

A deer chili. This has an unusual taste. I normally don't care for wild game or venison but this is pretty good stuff. I do want to try out Lew's recipe though. That sounds like its up my alley.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Shane, I have made that exact recipe with venison.

Very good indeed.

Dome, I add a couple of TB of cayenne at the end—you will probably want to do the same. I wrote the recipe for the cautious—you can add the ground cayenne at the blender step (which is what I really do most of the time), but this is dangerous for the uninitiated. Not adding any at the end allows for most people to be able to eat the chili without too much pain. ;)

I’d not add more than my maximum recommendations, as the flavors begin to get out of balance—some would claim that my maximum is already out of balance, but I think that they are wimps. :D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Here is a recipe I heavily modified from the Food Network. I call it Papa's $34,000 Chili:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat
1 ½ pounds onions, coarsely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed through a press
2 pounds lean ground beef, sirloin, or chuck
2 pounds lean ground pork
¾ cup chili powder, preferably a mix of half ancho, but any will do
2 Jalapenos (1 is optional) diced.
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
½ tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
6 slices hickory-smoked bacon, finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 bay leaves
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
3 bottles (12 ounces each) dark or medium beer, such as Negro Modela, Mexican Dos Equis, Heineken, or Beck's
3 cans (12 ounces each) of Beans (1 black bean drained, 2 chili beans)

Spoon the oil (or bacon fat) into a large, heavy casserole or Dutch oven set over moderate heat. Add the onions and saute until softened and lightly colored, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Reserve.

Return the pot to moderate heat and crumble in the beef and pork. Increase the heat to high and brown well, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately high and brown, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes longer. Return the onions to the pot and stir in 1/2 cup of the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of the cocoa, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the cumin, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, salt, cayenne, 1 diced jalapeno, bay leaves and brown sugar is optional. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the tomato sauce, 2 bottles of the beer and 4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir gently every 30 minutes, but do not stir during the last 15 to 20 minutes so all of the fat will rise to the top.

When the chili has cooked for 3 hours, degrease it, skimming off most of the fat. Place a paper towel flat on the surface to soak up any remaining fat repeat, if necessary. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano, remaining jalapeno (optional) and bacon. Taste for balance of acidity to sweetness and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, if needed. Add the beans and their cooking liquid (although the black beans should be drained). Set the chili aside to cool to room temperature. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. Stir the remaining 1 bottle of beer into the chili. Bake, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring once in a while. Serve now, or for a better, more flavorful chili, refrigerate overnight and reheat individual portions in microwave.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I tend to make my chili vegetarian so I can have cheese with it (can't mix dairy and meat products), but I also do it with ground beef. I never measure my spices though. All done to taste.

If made with ground beef, brown 1/2 lb ground beef in olive oil. Drain.

Saute 1 cup white onion, 4 chopped/minced cloves of garlic, 1 chopped jalapeno in olive oil. Add salt, ground black pepper, ground cumin, chili powder and Goya Hot Sauce. Saute until onions start to get soft.

Add ground beef or 1-1/2 cups of Morningstar vegetarian crumbles.

Mix together, add 8oz can of tomato sauce, 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes and onions, more Goya sauce and chili powder. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.

Add 1 can light red beans and 1 can dark red beans. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding chili powder and Goya sauce to taste. Sometimes I add other spices just to change it up a bit.

Serve over rice with chopped red onion and shredded cheese on the side.

Serves 3-4 people.

I've also made this recipe for tailgating before football games. Obviously, I need a huge pot and usually have to quintuple the recipe (and serve sans rice), but it goes over very well.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just printed Lew's recipe, and when Finals are over, I'm going to make this and try, you guessed it, Fried Chicken. That's my ulimate goal with Thai/Southern Fusion cuisine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks