What's your experience with pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Poehlman, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I've never pre-ordered anything.. my biggest fear is when a title finally hits the street, someone will have it cheaper than my pre-ordered price. Which will take some of the lustre from my purchase knowing I could've had a better deal.

I do, right now, have the Indiana Jones box set in my cart at BestBuy.com ($44.99 w/free shipping) and my finger on the "checkout" button. But, I can't bring myself to click it.

Has anyone had any pre-order horror stories?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Absolutely not. The only way to go for me.

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Well, I pre-ordered Queen, Live at Wembley from Amazon which streeted the other day, and I'm still waiting for my copy....

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

5. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

I've never really understood the "pre-order" concept. It's not going to be in short supply, why tie up your cash for 5 months, just wait till it's released and run out and get it.
    Seems pretty simple to me.. Maybe someone can enlighten me to the logic of pre-ordering.

6. Todd Bennington

I avoid preordering titles that will be heavily discounted the wek of their release (like Indy will be), as I can usually find a better deal in a B&M, but I always preorder catalog or lower profile releases. The upside of perhaps paying a bit more than you otherwise might have is that you should get it 2-4 days prior to street (although some vendors ship earlier than others).

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I pre-order almost all my new release purchases. However, I try to avoid sites that make it difficult or impossible to cancel the order should I either change my mind or find the title for a better price. For example, Bestbuy.com requires a phone call to cancel a pre-order, and Buy.com has no reliable way to cancel. Sites like DVD Empire, Amazon and Deep Discount DVD get almost all my pre-order business, since they provide easy online management of my orders and do not charge my credit card until the order ships.

I only use BestBuy.com and CircuitCity.com for those items that I think will be "loss leaders". For those items, I will wait until the Sunday advertisements are released and then place an order. Both sites have free shipping, and I avoid making a trip to the store.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Just be sure you are using a credit card and not a debit card tied to your checking account, because Best Buy will put a hold on the amount of the purchase beginning the date you place the order until the date they ship. So even though the money is still technically in your account, you won't be able to access it.

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Malcolm,
    I know...I was just referring to credit cards.

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I almost exclusively pre-order.

Cees

13. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

I've never preordered a DVD. I just wait until its released, check around for B&M prices and then decide if I'll pick it up at a store or online. I really don't feel the need to get a DVD the very day it comes out. The only time I would consider preordering something is if it had very limited production and I want to make sure I get it.

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I always preorder.

Usually always receive my discs a week to two
    weeks early as a result.

Our sponsor, Lasers Edge, may be slightly
    more expensive on titles but you'll appreciate
    the service and delivery you will get.

15. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I pre-order all the time. A lot of online stores offer a discount for ordering early and in most cases, your credit card isn't charged until the item is actually posted to you.
    Only place I don't like pre-ordering from is the otherwise excellent CDJapan, as they don't let you cancel ( which is a bizzare setup IMO )

16. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I was pre-ordering quite a bit from DVDEmpire last year, but I've switched to almost exclusively buying at B&M's. I used to be worried about getting copies of new releases, but unless it's something like the Midnight Run re-issue, B&M's have everything in good supply and at cheaper prices. I always do comparisons, and Best Buy's or Target's prices are always cheaper, and even with tax, it's cheaper than having it shipped from DVDEmpire even if I have a coupon code.

Plus, call me crazy, but I like knowing I only have to go to a local store to deal with any disc issues, and not have to ship anything back. I also get to inspect for "floaters" and other obvious disc or package problems. It was cool getting my discs a day early from DVDEmpire, but since I hardly ever watch any new discs right away (still have a massive backlog), having them early doesn't really matter to me.

17. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

I pre-order quite often. Usually recieve the title the day before the official release (so I'm watching it Monday night after work). Once in a while a cheaper price pops up, but in the end who really cares that much. A dollar or two on a DVD isn't even worth mentioning. Re-financing my home when rates were low - not THAT saved me money. The only place I don't like ordering from is Amazon, because they are so darn slow in shipping their products (at least that's been my experience).

18. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I see. If you receive it early, that could be a good reason to pre-order. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a try sometime. [​IMG]

19. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

20. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer