What's new

What's your CPU temp? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Just checking my sanity to see how good a job the stock AMD HSF is running and to see if I attached it right, it's certainly very snug!! Had to be real careful I didn't slip with my screwdriver but after doing it about three times, I think I have it down pat. I've read on overclockers.net that the max AMD CPU temp should never get about 65°Celcius and that most temps between 40-50° (air cooled) are typical. Mine is running at 43.5°C so I guess I'm doing OK, but I haven't been overclocking or anything. (at least yet)
T'bird AMD 1.0gig CPU
For those EPoX 8KHa+ users out there, it seems the RPM monitors and stuff on the fan headers on the board (3of them, CPU, Power, Chassis) I think the only ones that the Winbond Sensor actually senses is the CPU fan and the Chassis fan, cause I cannot get my Enermax fan connected to Fan3 (PSU) to register with MBprobe. I'm going to try to connect that to Fan2 (Chassis) and see if that works, I presume you can connect the fan to any header, regardless of whether it's labelled PSU or Chassis or "hamburger" :D
Jay

JohanK

Second Unit
My Intel CPU (1000EB @ 1080/144) is not much of a comparison but it runs at 32C.

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 1.2 Athlon running SETI right now with a temp of 50 degrees C

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Hey Jay. I have the same MOBO with a 1.2 GHZ TB. I usually see idle temps of about 46.5 degress C with "stressed" temps of about 53 degress celcius at worst. I am using Thermaltake's Volcano 5. I do have a extra case fan that to be quite honest, probably doesn't help lower temps one bit.

Michael.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
thanks, so I guess it's kind of fairly low then, cause I had the PC on for a few hours, then installed MBProbe and it was idleing at around 43.5C I loaded and started playing a MahJongg game and after a full 4 rounds it was up to about 48C. My Motherboard temp (which I presume is the ambient temp in my case) was registering at 41.0C and the ambient room temp in my room is around 71F
I also installed SiSoft's Sandra and benchmarked my system without any BIOS changes other than the default values. Seemed to get what I expected, at least comparible to an Intel P3-1000. I got some warning in my Mainboard description about FSB being greater than the rated speed, but as far as I know there's only one jumper for 100Mhz or 133Mhz and the multiplier is still set on Automatic. The help files only went up to W2540 and I couldn't find the description for the W2541 but just now found out that it's not that uncommon for board mfgers to actually make a FSB speed of 134Mhz and the X2 multiplier would be 268Mhz not the quoted 266Mhz, being the sole purpose is to better their benchmarks as compared to those mfgs that are honest.
I moved my Fan over to Fan2 and hooked up the HDD light on my case to my SCSI card but I didn't bother to reboot to see if the MBProbe will sense the RPM of the Enermax fan.
Michael, I was thinking of adding a fan to the back case side depending on how good I think the Enermax underside fan is doing so time will tell. It's weird all the stuff I read about PC cooling, I have the standard AMD fan and $1 thermal paste, seems to be fine for me so far...
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I'm thinking of some inexpensive tweaks to my cooling thing, figure if I do start to play with the Bios enough, I might want better cooling, I figure a cooler CPU should last longer anyway. I'm thinking about playing with my Dremel tool and cutting out a fan cutout and putting a fan to blow air directly over the HSF. Since I already have a bunch of 12v DC brushless fans lying around all I'd need is some connectors to connect to the yellow +12v off a powersupply which seems to be in ample supply. I'd cut out a fan hole, drill 4 screwholes and mount a fan to blow air over the hsf, then I'd put some kind of mesh on the outside to protect from dust and I'll be set... Anybody try this or do you think I'm just silly? (or both really, I can take it :) )
Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
WOW my CPU is running at 33c .... almost icy col... never gets above 38c
case is 22c
4 fans in total must help :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm most likely going to dremel out the front fan.. I mean look at the front of this case, the case has a fan in the front (80mm I think) but the cover that goes over it is horribly small, there can't be that much cfm going into the case and it does have a space for a fan in the back but I didn't install one yet.. I figure I'd see how it goes and then install one as needed.
Here is a large picture of the front of my case:
Enlight 7237 front picture link
You can hardly make out the holes!! Right now with the front cover completely off, I'm getting a CPU temp of 39C although me crusing the internet is not that big a load, it's alot cooler than the 43.5C idle temp I was getting yesterday with the cover on. So I'll probably dremel out the case front and put a nice mesh on top to keep as much dust out as possible... Then if I can't keep it under 43C or so, I'll modify the side a bit too. Dremel tools are cool anyway...:)
Jay

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Jay H,
I have the same exact case. It is very easy to add a second chassis fan at the rear of the case (it is designed for one).
I also went to my local BestBuy store and bought a hard drive cooler fan set which is basically a ventilation grill and two small fans that fit in one of the extra 5 1/4 drive bays. I actually unplugged the fans after a while, they got a little noisy for me. However the grill looks neat, and provide extra air flow the the rear fan. Case and CPU (PIII - 1 gHz) temps are always close which indicates good air flow through the case. (now 30 case/32 CPU while surfing the web)
The hard drive cooler can be seen at:
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...556&e=11008733

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Neat looking thing Greg. I was able to drop the temp from an idle 43.5c to an idle 39c just by removing the front cover. I took to the dremel last night and dremeled out an 80mm hole in front of the bottom fan and tonight I will try to epoxy some mesh (screen door mesh) that I have lying around in front of it to cut out the dust. I've seen some websites of what some people do to the 7237, including some where the person actually cut out the fan guards on the fans, put a glass side door on it and painted it blue, even the fan blades were painted. Anyway, I think my mod is great and fairly simple, 3.5C just by allowing more air over the intake is a real good different and I'm not done yet. I know it has a place for a fan in the back. The Enermax fan seems to be variable but I've never seen it go higher than ~1670 rpm. Sure makes it quiet, although I have another issue with the power though, perhaps in a new thread.

When I'm done with my first round of mods, I'll post a pic...

Jay

Kevan_F

Auditioning
I have an AMD Duron 750 overclocked to 866 it idles around 41C and gets to ~47C when working. AMD's tend to run way hotter than Pentiums so you can't really compare the two.
How much hotter you ask? Well check out the folowing video from Tom's hardware:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q...tvideo-05.html
Betcha never thought your computer was a fire harzard!
Kevan

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
PIII 600E, usually 30-32c, hits 42c when I'm crunching music files in LAME.

That's using a QuietPC fan. A noisier fan would probably keep things a bit cooler, but I'm so used to the low noise floor now that I'd hate to go back.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I did my PC front case modification the other night. I need to tidy it a bit but I went ballistic with the Dremel tool and cut a nice 90mm diamater hole in front of the front fan and I'm certainly noticing a slight suction of air going into the front fan. I put some screen mesh in front of it but I think I'm going to do some touch ups to the front with the dremel's orbital sander thing just to make it nicer looking. Then I'll epoxy the mesh in the back, right now it's just taped. I was going to take a picture but perhaps I'll wait til the final product is done...

I had a spare Toyo fan that I got from the spare parts bin at the place I used to intern at, was thinking about installing that to the fan cutout in the back of the case to even more assist the Enermax PSU,but it turns out that my fan is 92mm and the cutout is spaced for an 80mm fan. So either I dremel out the screw holes on the case or the fan but then I don't think I want to bother removing all the cards just for this so I might pick up an 80mm fan somewhere down the road or drill out holes in the 92mm fan if that looks feasable. Perhaps I'll get my ambient case temp lower that way..

Jay

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Last night I upgraded to a Celeron 1GHz CPU, slapped the old Golden Orb CPu fan on it, and my normal operating temp is around 40C but my idle temp is still around 37C.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
OMG guys, you guys running hotter than 45ºc need to consider more cooling. Especially if your in the 50's.
I run 32ºc - 36ºc(loaded) and thats beautiful considering its all air cooled.
Here's a pic of my case mod I did. It consist of 2 side intake fans, 1 front HD cooler intake fan(actually 3 fans), One front intake fan on bottom front, and 1 exhaust fan in back, and one exhaust fan on top + the Power supply fan.
AzzPC.JPG

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Athlon 950 Thunderbird Overclocked to 1.2Ghz. I bought a 5pk of those 80mm fans on ebay for 5bucks. Not bad huh! you get them at radio shack for like 3.00 each.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I made my nice case mod nicer by touching up the front panel with my Dremel tool, now the circle is actually more of a circle than an oval!!! I had a marathon Civ3 session last night, about 4-5 hours of playing and my machine was running at 46C at the end of it. Not bad, considering I have only one fan in the front of it and the Enermax which has an underside fan. I'm going to add another fan in the back since the case has a fan in it already. I might add a fan to the side, like Ruben has if I feel like it but one step at a time...

Now to download that Civ3 patch...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks