What's new

Directors What's your comfort food? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Mine would be Chinese congi or rice porridge, specifically made with stock from leftover holiday turkey bones. This is the traditional post holiday meal for my family and says "comfort" to me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Mine would be Chinese congi or rice porridge, specifically made with stock from leftover holiday turkey bones. This is the traditional post holiday meal for my family and says "comfort" to me.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
A stack of buttermilk pancakes topped with: genuine maple syrup, peanut butter, cheddar cheese, and cinnamon.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
A stack of buttermilk pancakes topped with: genuine maple syrup, peanut butter, cheddar cheese, and cinnamon.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have more than one (and more than one favorite):

Polenta (I’m a big fan of gnocchi too—but I don’t often get really great gnocchi). I grew up with my Dad making corn meal mush often on Sunday night and we fried the left over for breakfast. So some polenta with a little parmesan is just perfect and oddly reminiscent of my childhood.

Claypot rice (I also love congee)—I used to get this is hawker stalls in Singapore. Never stir the rice in your dish, allowing the heat of the small pot to form a crust of rice—a great texture contrast between the slightly charred crust and the warm, moist interior. I eat this with a reasonable amount of chili sauce. (My second choice here is chicken rice).

Masala dosa This is a thin rice/lentil pancake, cooked very crisp and formed in a roll (the dosa). It can be filled about anything, but the classic way is a boiled potato and onion mixture with such spices as mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric, and things like green chilies and coriander (and maybe some cashews). Serve with coconut chutney (perhaps some tamarind and red chilies). A wonderful snack or breakfast—a friend of mine used to make the potato mixture frequently and I thought it was heavenly. Later I found out that it served as the filling for this dish.

Frijoles Refritos No doubt incredibly unhealthful, but I can eat these on their own—with a little melted cheese over the top and some salsa or pico de gallo and perhaps a warm tortilla or two.

Biscuits With lots of butter. Both of my grandmothers (and my Mom and most of my Aunts) made outstanding biscuits. A good, homemade one really takes me back.

Empanadas—Comfort food from South America. Almost every cusine has a little turnover as a standard snack—I particularly love the ones from Argentina.

Apepas—a comfort thick cornmeal pancake from Venezuela. Often filled, especially for lunch.

Soba—basic, hearty noodle soup.

Cheese—I was trying to think of an entry from France—and while great cheese is made everywhere, France has the most varied selection of great cheese. I love cheese so much, I often just melt some on a slice of toast (and sometimes add a drop or two of Tabasco).

I could go on.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Pink Lady apples, not much of a comfort they are not around long.

Huevos Rancheros

Olives (pretty much any kind)

Phish Food Ice Cream when I'm feeling extra special

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Ditto empanadas. My wife loves these. We've found a great Bolivian resturant that makes wonderful (and cheap) empanadas. Our favorite filling includes spicy chicken and raisins.

Ditto dosa. These are wonderful. One of our favorite Indian restaurants is a vegetarian place that serves virtually nothing but dosa.

Add: risotto. I make a nice 3-cheese risotto.

Add: Edy's mango sorbet. I don't like Edy's ice cream, but the sorbets are great, and this is the best one.

Add: sausage and lentil stew, cream of tomato and garlic soup, and split pea soup--all made using my wife's special recipes. All are sublime.

Add: focaccia bread. I've posted my wife's recipe for this elsewhere on HTF. With sea salt and rosemary, this is incredible stuff.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ditto risotto, a basic dish at our home—I’m not so good at this, as my wife makes such a fine risotto that we almost never order this in a restaurant. I’d love to try Angelo’s, as the basic one with parmesan is wonderful. We often make risotto with asparagus or (and I really love this) artichokes. Perfect with a glass of sauvignon blanc.

Ditto split-pea soup—don’t know why this was not on my first list. I like a bowl for supper anytime (this can really use some home-made croutons) and for sure a bowl when I don’t feel well or am just generally tired. Both of Angelo’s other soups sound great.

Chicken pot-pie—my wife often makes one with the leftovers from a roast chicken. I like this dish so much that I’ll eat the frozen variety. Not nearly so good as a homemade crust with leftover chicken and vegetables, but deeply satisfying, nonetheless. Another dish that goes back to my childhood.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Zingers.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Bryan_O

Agent
Tequila and lots of it. --Oh wait you said food, let me change my answer.-- Beer and lots of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks