What's wrong with parents these days?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Philp, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I'm still steaming about this. After dark on July 4th, as I took my dog for a walk I had heard firecrackers going off in the next block. Now, fireworks are illegal in New York State, but that's not my point. As I got down to the source of the noise, I saw several little kids, the oldest couldn't have been more than seven, running out in the street and lighting firecrackers with a cigarette lighter and then running back to their front porch. On the porch were five or six adults all guzzling beer and paying no attention to the kids whatsoever. Are these people total morons? Don't they understand that kids that small shouldn't have been doing this? It wouldn't take much to blow off a little hand or knock out an eye. I guess they don't understand that the biggest responsibility a parent has is to protect their children from harm.
    All during my walk, I was thinking about calling the police, but as I passed the house again, there were two police cars there. I hope they throw the book at them.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I know this is cynical (so don't take it too seriously) but when I see things like this, I consider it to be putting chlorine in the gene pool. A kid blows his hand up, kids taken away from parents and put in a better home, parents have to shape up, and in the end they realize how dumb they are.

Or the kids grow up dumb and just use some bigger explosive and do severe damage to themselves.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

God parents like that piss me off, totally don't give a shit about their kids well being.

4. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson Agent

Hmmm... When I was 7 I was shooting bottle rockets off all day ont he 4th of July... And I turned out okay (still have 10 fingers and 10 toes)

5. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

Parents these days a really shitty. One reason is because most people had their kids on accident.

6. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Thanks, Tim. At least I know I'm not the only one that thinks people in this thread are a little too sensitive.

7. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, I do agree to some extent. Parents today just don't care about raising their children, and that's too bad. Really makes one wonder how much worse it's going to get before it gets better.

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I'm willing to wager that this bad parent thing is not a new phenomenon. Chances are, those bad parents had bad parents themselves, and that's how they got to be such bad parents. It pretty much stems from the fact that they (sadly) don't know any better.

Parents today are as good and bad as they ever were.

9. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

We used to have 'bottle rocket wars' growing up, where we fired bottle rockets, roman candles and other wonderful projectiles at each other in large fields and in the forests surrounding our housed.... I was more like 11-12 years old, not 7, 7 seems a bit young for that, but hopefully you aren't saying pre-teens/teens have no business lighting off firecrackers do you??

10. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We seem to be getting as hot as firecrackers ourselves here. Time to douse the flames a bit, no?

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

14. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I wouldn't make a big deal about kids playing with fireworks, even in a state where they are illegal IF there were proper parent supervision. I was playing with fireworks from at least the age of 5 but my parents DID teach me by then about safety and common sense. Seeing as how the parents Mark mentioned were drinking and paying no attention to the kids I would guess that they didn't care. And that does bug me. But not as much as the parent who yells are they 1yr old for saying they wanted a wahwepop (lollypop) while in the Walmart check out line. What the heck do you expect a 1yr old to say?

Dan Hine

15. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I was applying firecrackers to various models about age eight as well. I remember that I was highly disappointed that my model aircraft didn't actually fly even though I had riged it up with rocket propulsion.

I wonder what people would think today if they saw me back then, playing in the mud making slingshot ammo and not even using antibacterial soap!

And lord knows my parents would probably be put in jail since I owned a BB-rifle.

Personally I think people today are way too protective of kids, and are smothering their sense of adventure.

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Dude, smothering their sense of adventure? These kids were 7(!) years old, that is so young it's a joke for them to be doing what they were doing.

I used to play with fireworks when I was around 11 but 7 and 11 is a pretty big diffrence.

17. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

We are definantly getting MORE bad parents b/c people are having sex too young and by accident and are not ready to take care of another person.

Care to back that up with some figures? CDC says that teen pregnancies have decreased over the past decade. 1997 had the lowest rate of any year since data on the topic was first collected in 1976.

18. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

19. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

As a parent, I don't see what earthly purpose there is to allowing a 7 year old to play with fireworks, supervised or not. To me it's pretty much a cut and dry issue with no gray area. Playing with fireworks may be fun to children, but am I willing to take that one in a million chance that my kid is going to blow off a finger playing with them and actually let him use them?

Nope.

20. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

Fact1: There are some really shitty parents out there...

Fact2: Talking to them and trying to explain to them why they are bad parents and how to properly raise their kids will get you nowhere...

Fact3: You are playing a fools game thinking that you can stop your kids from playing with dangerous items if your kids have access to them and you are not around...

Fact4: Kids have access to dangerous things all of the time...

Fact5: You are not around alot...

Fact1 + Fact2 + Fact3 + Fact4 + Fact5 = Conclusion: You are wasting your time worrying about it as there is nothing you are going to be able to do, and the time you are wasting reading this and posting a response could be better spent paying attention to your own kids. What are he/she/they doing right this second?

Question: After all of these little facts are stated and added up and are clear, why would this thread go on?

Fact 6: I don't have kids, but it's times like these that I wish that I did so I could have someone to get drunk with...

Chris