1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with my Sony HDTV settings for X-BOX???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new 36-inch Sony HDTV, the KV36HS20. I connected the Hi-def component inputs from my X-Box to the tv. The picture does not look as good as the old S-Video connection on my old 36-inch tube Toshiba. For example, I was playing HALO and the gun meter on the upper left looked fuzzy and I could barely read the indicator. I also had to turn the brightness ALL the way up, just to make the game look decent. Otherwise, it looks way too dark. There seems to be more aliasing and more rough edges around objects with this new setting (yes, I do have my XBOX settings at 480p). I tried to move it back to normal resolution, but it looks pretty much the same.

Any ideas of how to improve these settings for XBOX? Thanks...

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

All I have to do on My Samsung HDTV is turn the brightness up over my normal DVD, TV settings. XBOX looks AWESOME with the HD pack on my TV. Have you calibrated with Avia or VE?

3. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

Do you have anything else hooked up to the TV other than the xbox like a dvd player or satellite? That could tell you if the problem is mainly with the xbox or the tv itself.

4. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

Well, looks like I MAY have jumped the gun. My tv reception on the SONY was horrible as well, but there are four different modes: VIVID, MOVIE, and 2 others I can't remember. The picture from cable on VIVID was terribly grainy. I then went in to the MOVIE mode and already the picture from cable looks much better. I didn't have time today to fool around with the different settings for XBOX, but I am hoping that will improve as well.

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

VIVID mode is the one that should've been labeled "FLAME BLOOM and BURN" as that's exactly what it's doing. Stay away from it as far as you can. The Movie mode out of the box is probably closest to the 6500K but I would still encourage you to run it through a VE ar Avia setup procedure.