What's Wrong With me

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam Sanchez, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

So last night we have a late dinner, as usual. It was rice and Cornish Game Hens. After I watched 24, i went to the restroom and it all began.

To put it simply, my stomach has been bothering me all night! I went to bed early, to try and make it feel better but I have been tossing and turning all night. I can't get comfortable. I keep "Thinking" and if I do manage to drift off for what feels like hours, I awake to see like 5 minutes has passed.

I just got up to use the restroom and my stomach is still upset if you know what I mean. I have taken some pepto twice in the middle of the night. What the heck is wrong with me? How can I get better? Going to a doctor isn't really an option for me so I need to mend myself on my own -- if possible.

I have schoolwork due at midnight tonight. I need to shake this! I suppose I will try and lay back down for awhile...

2. David Blair

David Blair Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like you have a stomach virus. My wife and son have it for the second time this year. Drink alot of fluids (Gatorade, juice) to keep from getting dehydrated. It may take a day or two before you feel normal again.

3. Adam Sanchez

Ewww. I don't think I have ever had this before. I hope I can feel better enough to work on my little school project. It will only take me a few hours, but I don't think stressing about it is going to mend me any faster.

I'll take your advice and also try to rest for a few more hours. This really came out of nowhere.

What kind of liquid do I wanna stay away from? (Last night I had been taking small drinks of water and OJ here and there, but not much of either.)

4. David Blair

David Blair Stunt Coordinator

Stay away from anything with milk, it will make it worse. As long as you can urinate, you should be OK.

I just got back from taking my son to the doctor about 2 hours ago, glad I paid attention!

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

if it were me I'd take some immodium AD to stop the upset stomach symptoms, stuff always works for me.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

And try not to keep hydrated with vodka [​IMG]

PS: It may also be a mild case of food poisoning.

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

I don't know what's more disturbing, the illness itself or your statement that you CAN'T see a doctor. Is there a specific reason you can tell us?

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Wasn't there an episode of M*A*S*H that had Charles and Margaret get the same thing when they ate the cornish game hen?

STAY AWAY FROM THE GAME BIRDS! [​IMG]

9. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I obviously can't speak for Adam, but when I was putting myself through school money was pretty tight.

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Francois, it's not like here in Canada. In the U.S. there is a cost value attached. You tend to not run to the doctor for something as minor as an upset stomach.

Sounds like a minor case of stomach flu/food poisoning. Keep as hydrated as possible.

My entire family had a bad case of stomach flu a few months ago. Once we could drink without vomiting/diarrhea it was water and popsicles all around. Didn't bother running to the doctor either.

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

It may work, but it's very dangerous to do if you suspect you have a virus or food poisoning. Intestinal cramping and the diarrhea that go with it are your body's way of ridding itself of toxins. Taking medication that prevents your body's natural response can make you sicker for longer and in some cases, be deadly (especially with e. coli and salmonella poisoning).

Yes, all those symptoms are awful and very uncomfortable, but they do serve a purpose. As already has been suggested, take in a lot of fluids to fend off dehydration and just let your body do what it needs to do. You should feel better soon. If it gets worse or the symptoms persist for more than a few days, I'd definitely go see a doctor, even if money is really tight.

12. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If the hens were at all undercooked, I'd be blaming them. Probably a mild case of salmonella (if it was not mild, you'd be in the hospital, trust me). Just suffer through the "turkey trots" and keep hydrated (drink until you feel full, then drink 10 oz. more). Plain water is best. Gatorade is good to replace salts or if it gets real bad, drink Pedialyte (available in the baby section). Nothing like Pedialyte to get hydrated again.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

but stilll beats the runs [​IMG]

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

And how many universities have you attended exactly? [​IMG]

--
    H

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Lets see. Including the small campuses I took individual classes at to fill in?

6 or 7, including U of Colorado for my MBA.

Montana state university in bozeman even had a dentist's office on campus. I think a cleaning cost me 10 or 15 bucks, that was nice.

17. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Well, okay okay [​IMG]

I've only attended one university (a large one at that) so I can't speak for them all, but mine had free doctor's visits too. Well, technically they weren't free since a portion of your "student fees" you had to pay each semester went to fund the place. But you're paying that whether you choose to use their services or not. They also offered a health insurance plan that, which was pretty basic, was also very very cheap. This was designed for students that anticipated hospital needs or had children.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the clinic at the last U. I attended was pretty good, most of the doc's were younger guys and were really cool. Cheap pharmacy on site too.

one time when I was deathly ill and couldn't eat or drink because of the really bad sore throat I went in and he gave me a damn decongestant though [​IMG] so I went to the urgent care place in town and got a z-pack... the same thing the free clinic gave my roommate who had the same crud. Sickest I've EVER been.

19. Adam Sanchez

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know I am feeling better. After posting here i went back to bed and was able to get to sleep this time and slept pretty good for a few hours. I'm a little achy at the moment but the stomach problem seems to be almost gone.

I thought of Food poisioning but I didn't notice the Hens being undercooked -- plus my Mother is real paranoid about stuff like that. [​IMG]

I couldn't goto the Doctor really simply because I lack medical insurance. I am working temp job right now since I plan to move soon so I can be closer to my girlfriend and my school in San Francisco.

Thank you all for the concern. I'm going to take it easy for a few more hours before I do anything, lay on the couch and watch a movie. [​IMG]

20. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    My little girl has had it TWICE this month...lasts 18-20 hours. As quick as it starts, it stops.

The doctor said NOT to take meds to mask the symptoms..it's best to let it all out (including the virus itself).