Whats wrong? Direct-View TV 'rolls' on specific DVD screens.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 3, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, i have a 37" mitsu TV thats more than 11 years old, bu t recently, there have been some problems with it.

The one that bugs me the most, is that on certain DVD menus or video game screens, it starts 'rolling'. I cant really describe it, its like the image just flashes and looks like its rolling up the screen. This is only on specific places, like the main menu for the Josie and the Pussycats DVD, and some other screens. Its kinda like setting your computer monitor at an incompatible resolution or refresh rate.

The other one, is it goes black and white occasionally. Its weird, if i swithc video inputs on the TV or reciever, it goes black and white sometimes, and it takes some more switching on the TV to get it to be color again. BUt on my reciever (with Svideo switching), if i switch to Video 1, and then Video 2, then back to the DVD input, it goes color again, every time.

Also, it goes grey on certain screens when i play dreamcast. Last time i was surfing the web on my DC, but then on normal images, it goes B&W, but when i pause it it goes color again. Unpause, it goes B&W.

Any ideas?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A few causes, not necessarily easy to fix.
    Picture goes black and white:
    Switching in the receiver and/or TV could be dirty or oxidized. There could be a loose connection, try unplugging and replugging all cables carefully. There could be a defective cable or plug or jack. S-video connections are quite fragile.
    Picture rolls on some scenes:
    The TV vertical hold is marginally set, it holds most of the time but not all of the time. Your TV may be sensitive to Macrovision copy protection. Your TV may be losing sync. when "blacker than black" content, nowadays considered valid subject matter, is encountered on the DVD. There could be loose cable connections. Probably due to age, the TV circuits have drifted and sync is off (meaning for all intents and purposes the official and legal incoming signal is now a foreign, incompatible refresh rate and resolution), fortunately the TV manages to lock on to the sync of most DVD's and program sources but increasingly it doesn't. Getting color also requires certain kinds of circuit sync'ing.
    When circuits age so as to go out of sync. the solution is to have a serviceman come in and "align" the set. Like ISF calibration, there is a trial and error aspect and there is a "tweak this and something else goes out of kilter so you have to come back" aspect.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, thanks alot! Ill check out the connections.. well its pretty old, so ill just let it go out of sync more and more coz it wont be worth it to repair... We've been looking at a new TV for awhile anyways.. i guess its time to move on soon...

And also, your Video website is great!