What's new

What's with William Shatner? (1 Viewer)

But I bet almost everyone still knows who Monica Lewinski is. I was in Peru for a wedding a few years ago, and at Machu Pichu there were little kids running around saying "Monica Lewinski" to us (probably the only English they knew), trying to get us to throw them a few coins.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I think Shatner is currently enjoying, possibily, his greatest popularity.

Let's face it, he will forever be Captain Kirk. But besides that, he's in "Boston Legal" and the priceline.com commericials. His performances in "Boston Legal" have resulted in multiple Golden Globes and Emmy wins. Don't forget his "Has Been" album from a couple of years back.

You mean you guys/gals missed his TV Land special?

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I visit forums that have large numbers of Brits and I can tell you that is not the case there. There have been many, many times they have talked about celebrities, sports figures, etc... that are well known in the UK and not here and they talked about them like everyone should know who they are.

I have even been accused of not being "globally aware" enough when I asked who these people were.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Nope - though I like that idea. ;) He's a famous (in the UK anyway) snooker player. He sprang to mind because the world snooker championships are on at the moment.

As regards the other responses - lighten up, guys. It was a throwaway remark. Still, it gives me something to talk about with the other chaps over tea tomorrow morning. Outside the cricket season all we usually talk about is how shameful the events of 1776 were, how wonderful we find it living in a country ruled by a monarch, and wondering if we will ever get cosmetic dentists or decent restaurants in our country. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yes, they do tend to keep going back to that well, don't they? It's the whole "we lost our Empire" thing. Quite quaint when you think about it.

(See Andrew, some of us "across the pond" do understand satire. :laugh: )

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If I know Andrew as well as I think I do, he'll invite us right in for tea and strumpets. ;)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"I just saw him in an ad for some stupid TV lawyer company.
What is this guy doing?"

Ive seen that commercial dozens of times. It is very odd. I assume this is just a local ad. Are you in the Buffalo area?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, those insular Americans expecting people to know who this Odysseus guy is. :)

BTW, I have no idea who Mason is, but do recognize Beckham's name. (And not because he married whichever SpiceTwit he hooked up with, or because of one of the worst movie titles of all time. I know that David Beckham is one of the best-known, most popular and highest paid atheletes in the world for playing that game - I forget the name, it'll come to me. You know, the one where skinny guys wearing cute little shorts and their sisters' nightshirts kick a ball around the field. :D)

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Now Joe, they sometimes kick it into the net. Usually during some thing called a "shootout" that the NHL foolishly tried to copy this year; but every 2-3 games or so it actually goes in the net during regulation time. Well, "regulation time" meaning "what ever time you have after the ref decides to add to the actual time". :laugh:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's better than the big girl's blouses who can't play a game of rugby for sissies without having to wear more body armour than a mediaeval (sorry, I mean 'medieval' - I forgot you guys don't like difficult spellings) knight(whoops, and it should be 'armor' of course). Oh I can't go on with this - I admit it: soccer sucks big time. The penalty shootouts to which you refer seem to have been created so that England can lose matches in international competitions.

Now that I've admitted that soccer sucks, can someone reciprocate and say that basketball is boring? Before anyone accuses me of ignorance of the game, I used to play it and (modesty aside) I was good at it (e.g. I was in what in your terms would be the high school team at age 11). I gave up because I was so *bored*.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I'm with you there. Even when my regional pride led me to root for the Celtics back in the late 80's, I still only watched the last 2 minutes. The rest of the time I had the rounders..erm...baseball game on. I personally tend to enjoy sports where you get to hit someone or something with great force, hence my love of hockey and baseball (and no, a hard foul followed by a slap fight or a guy in shorts scissoring his legs on the grass because an opponent stepped on his shoelace does not count :D ).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Now that is a real shame. I might have to change plans and visit Nevada instead. :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I agree that basketball is boring. But our football players wear body armor for the same reason the Roman legions did - because we play rough and anybody going out on our field without it would be very quickly seriously injured or dead. A three-hundred-fifty pound linebacker does not hit like a guy half his size in day-glo sweats. That's why the only time you'll see a soccer player take the field in an American football game is when he's a kicker working from a protected position and never exposed to physical danger for more than a few seconds. ;) Think about how often and how badly American (and Canadian) football players get hurt despite the helmets and armor. Then imagine your average "soccer" player facing the front four of - oh, say the Pittsburgh Steelers - with nothing but their usual chemise. :D

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No chance they'd get hurt because they'd be falling down and scissoring their legs as soon as the ball is snapped. Rugby players, on the other hand, have a tough time and wear no pads, but the game and players are very, very different from american football.

E

Eric Kahn

Basketball sucks, would rather watch a tennis match or curling, or just about any other sport (or Psuedosport) than an NBA game

I want to watch a cricket game but I have to pay to do that over here, not about to do that and just reading the rules did not help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks