What's with William Shatner?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by PeterK, Apr 23, 2006.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I just saw him in an ad for some stupid TV lawyer company.
    What is this guy doing? did he piss away all his money from startrek or something? and now has to do all these terrible commercials?
    This lawyer one I saw is really sinking low, imo

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Actually, I think it's just the opposite. This guy is worth a buttload. He could go broke today and make it all back from Star Trek fans by the end of May.

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Bill is god, so everything that he does is the right thing.

4. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I am still cracking up over the History channel special on how William Shatner changed the world. Man, oh, man, was that ever an ego stroke!

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

He did. He is the present day reincarnation of Odysseus, sowing his seed in the far flung reaches of the galaxy much like Anthony Mason, Magic Johnson, and others.

6. David McKean

David McKean Auditioning

He's awesome in Boston Legal.

7. andrew markworthy

The insularity of American culture, Example No. 1. Nobody outside the USA has heard of these people.

As for Shatner, he is currently on UK television advertising Bran Flakes. Given that a key feature of Bran Flakes is their capacity to keep your intestines in shape, Mr S's surname is rather unfortunate. [​IMG]

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Uhhh, wouldn't that demonstrate the insularity of cultures other than America? I would think an example of insularity in American culture would be an american not knowing a foreign celebrity. [​IMG]

By the way, I bet more than a few people outside the US have heard of Magic Johnson. Being he is the only NBA superstar and Olympic Gold medalist in basketball who contracted AIDS/HIV crosses more than one cultural theme. Perhaps this is a case of "Physician, heal thyself"? [​IMG]

9. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Nobody outside of the US has heard of Magic Johnson? Give me a break, he was one of the most recongnizable sports figures, even around the world. Maybe you don't know who he was, but all you had to do was watch the 92 Olympics to see how many people around the world knew exactly who he was.

As for Shatner, I think its hilarious how he portrays himself, and is great on Boston Legal.

10. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Double Post....

11. andrew markworthy

Okay, maybe I came on a bit strong with that, but he really is not well known outside the USA. I'd heard of him and the AIDS issue and I would guess a fair number of non-basketball fan Europeans would recognise his name in some some sort of forced choice measure, but really and truly he is not that well known (e.g. I doubt they would know what he looks like or any details of his sporting achievements). You've got to remember that basketball isn't all that big a deal over here. The only American sports figures likely to be recognised are those that do sports common in Europe like athletics or golf. E.g. a name like Babe Ruth would probably get a response of 'who's she?' from most Europeans.

The issue goes the other way round. Hands up how many Americans have heard of:

Steve Davies
    David Beckham
    Bobby Charlton
    Michael Owen

You may have heard of Beckham from the movie/Spice Girls connections, but I doubt you've heard the other names, even though they are household names in the UK. However, the difference is that Brits generally know that the names won't be well-known abroad.

Sorry, I think my tone was too strong in the first message. I'm not accusing you guys of being insensitive or anything, it's just you have an almost charming assumption that names and issues are as well-known to the rest of the world as they are to you. It's just an observation, not a criticism!

12. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Well, which one is it? We are criticized because we do not know as much about other countries as other countries know about us (see the countless threads about the "world awareness" of Americans vs. the rest of the world). Yet when we assume the rest of the world, given it's superior knowledge of everything outside it's cultural sphere, is familiar with our cultural icons we are criticized for our "insularity" (actually , I read "insularity" as "arrogance", but I'm sensitive like that, bad habit, I know) [​IMG]

By the way, I recognize three of the above as soccer (football) players. Steve Davies, I have no idea. Ray and Dave's brother?

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If only I could find a 'hands up' smilie.

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Andrew, I generally agree with you on this topic, but have to strongly disagree wrt Magic Johnson. I lived outside of the US at the time, and I will tell you that while I never had heard of this guy before, the news of his disease made him an instant household name in my hometown and other places. Even my mother knows who the guy is, and she probably doesn't know Michael Jordan (who overall, has to be the bigger celebrity world wide).

He is the dude who lived.

--
    H

15. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Come on, everybody knows who Magic Johnson is. Him and Michael Jordan are the only two basketball players anybody's ever heard of but people know who they are.

I don't know who that Mason fellow is though.

Back on topic.

Why was O'huru mad?

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Don't you ever get tired of dragging the whole insularity of American culture up? If you don't know who they are, then google the names or is that another example of insularity?

17. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you, Andrew, for a great laugh. I never thought of it that way. Of course, Americans, at least in this area, don't use that particular tense of sh*t very often, either.

18. BrettB

BrettB Producer

If you weren't so insular Chu, you'd know that Brits never tire of this sort of thing. [​IMG]

19. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    He also does those bran flakes commercials here in Canada. He stays with an unsuspecting family for a whole week doing all kinds of crazy stuff. For example, the man of the house hears Shatner grunting very loudly behind a closed door (remember, this is bran flakes) and asks "Bill, are you okay?". Shatner opens the door and says "Sure. Why do you ask?"

He's holding a barbell in one of his hands [​IMG]

20. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Yeah, I hate nationalities that make generalizations. [​IMG]