What's new

What's with upright airline seating? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
On commercial flights why is it so important that your "seat-backs are in an upright position" during take-off and landing? Have studies shown that it increases your chance of surviving an accident? If so, why allow the seats to recline at all?

Feel free to post any other questions that have bothered you for a while.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would think that it would be more difficult for passengers to get out of their seats and into the aisle while exiting in an emergency if some seats were reclined.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Cause if the pilot suddenly hits the brakes, the seatback could break and slingshot you into the windshield?
:laugh: :laugh:
I do not know...
Jay

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So you are less likely to slide out from under that seat belt they took out of and old Chevrolet pickup truck.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I would think that it would be more difficult for passengers to get out of their seats and into the aisle while exiting in an emergency if some seats were reclined.
I agree with that in the case of seats that recline wayyy back, but most cattle car seats (coach class) recline less than 10".

Also, who the hell designs the seats? They have no lower back support and the upper portion of the chair sticks out forcing you to slouch forward. As if the small space they give you wasn't bad enough!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It's for the safety of those behind you. It makes it easier for them to get out and it gives them more room in case them have to assume the crash position.

Also if the pilot did hit the brakes with the seat reclined you would have less space and you might hit the seat in front of you.

Sean P

Agent
On a related note, why do they make you raise the window shades? If I'm plummeting to my fiery dartlike death, I at least want to not be forced to watch the ground come hurtling at me.

Sean P

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
3 reasons:

1) More exit room between isles if needed.

2) To keep your head from banging the seat in front.

3) To keep you from sliding underneath the belt.

I'm jealous of the attendants....they get to strap themselves in with a nice 4 or 5 point harness. I want one of those if I'm tumbling. The stupid lap belt is useless for anything more then a brief bout of turbulence.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I agree with that in the case of seats that recline wayyy back, but most cattle car seats (coach class) recline less than 10".
10"? I have yet to see one that reclines that much! The last plane I was on (2 days ago, a Delta MD-88, flying home from the HT Cruise!) the seats reclined one freakin' inch! What's the point? And that one inch makes a life and death difference during landing and takeoff!?

I'm betting that seats reclined much more in the past when the "seats in upright position during takeoff/landing" rule was implemented. Now it almost doesn't serve any purpose.

KJP

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think they should recline at all. There's nothing more annoying than when the person in front of me reclines into the limited amount of space I have. I really don't care to spend the entire flight counting the dandruff in their hair.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't think they should recline at all. There's nothing more annoying than when the person in front of me reclines into the limited amount of space I have.
Amen! I always hate it when I get someone in front of me that has to recline as far back as they can. Almost always they have ants in their pants and keep trying to push the seat back even further beyond its design limits. The first time or two I'll live with it. After that, I make sure to push back forcefully to let them know to stay out of my space.

Walt N

Second Unit
"I don't think they should recline at all. There's nothing more annoying than when the person in front of me reclines into the limited amount of space I have. I really don't care to spend the entire flight counting the dandruff in their hair."

Blow on their head. It's even more effective if you had a chili dog for lunch.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
If they were concerned about being able to get out of the seat and into the aisle then they failed most spectacularly, because the rows are too f***ing close whether the seats are reclined or not!

I think it's just to give the flight attendants one more thing to nag the passengers.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
On a related note, why do they make you raise the window shades? If I'm plummeting to my fiery dartlike death, I at least want to not be forced to watch the ground come hurtling at me.
So that, on the off-chance you do survive, you'll have some light to escape by after the power goes out and the internal light fails. Also so the rescue crews have some ability to look inside intact sections of the fuselage and evaluate the situation. If you don't want to see the ground hurtling towards you, try closing your eyes. :)
Regards,
Joe

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Why is Business and First class SO much more than coach?
Two reasons: cost and perceived value. The cost component is mostly due to the fewer number of seats in the same amount of space (when compared to cattle class). The meals, wine, and extra attendants are a smaller component of the extra cost.

But it is mostly because some passengers can and will pay more to get a few extra perks (and which separates them from the masses) that raises the price of tickets past the extra cost to the perceived value levels. In some cases, corporations will pay the extra for their executives to fly first, without regard to cost. Further this allows the airlines to reward their valued (frequent flyer) customers by giving them upgrades when possible.

The upgrade potential is why you don’t often see empty 1st/business class seats on domestic flights: the frequent flyers always snap them up. I have a bunch of upgrades that I use at every possibility. But that is not often enough.

LewB

Screenwriter
Why is Business and First class SO much more than coach?
I had to fly to France for business on short notice a few years ago. I managed to book business class. What a difference !
  • I was referred to as Mr.Lastnamegoeshere from the moment I set foot on the plane
  • They offered to hang up my jacket and store my carry on for me
  • I was offered champagne before take off
  • I was presented with a Menu to make my food choices from
  • the food was good !
  • 'free' booze during the entire flight
  • a complimentary toilet kit (including a sleeping mask and sock/slippers)
  • Large seats with lots of room
  • Extra comfy pillow and blanket
There was more, but you get the idea. The price was around $1500 one way ! I would not pay that kind of a premium for a short flight (4 hours in my book). For a longer flight, like an overnight transoceanic number, I'd think about it just for the comfort. I'm short and those coach seats drive me nutz !

JoshF

Supporting Actor
The upgrade potential is why you don’t often see empty 1st/business class seats on domestic flights: the frequent flyers always snap them up. I have a bunch of upgrades that I use at every possibility. But that is not often enough.
I have around 25k miles now from AADvantage. How do I go about getting upgrades? Do I use up my miles that I could potentially use for a free trip or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks