What's new

What's with the fullscreen releases??? (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
That's just one retailer--one that tends to cater to more-savvy online consumers and thus not indicative of B&M stores. For example, at Circuit City, the widescreen version of Harry Potter is No. 15 on that retailer's sales chart, while the full-screen version is No. 9. At Best Buy (the nation's largest DVD seller, much bigger than Amazon), HP WS is No. 10, while FS is No. 9. That's according to Video Business' breakdown of retailers on its weekly sales chart. Check that out to see how much sales differ among stores.
And I'd bet at Wal-Mart, (we order way more PS than WS), the PS versions have sold millions more copies than the WS versions. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just remember people.

Post here all you want. But unless you contact the studios directly, they'll never know that you didn't buy their DVD and they'll never know why.

Contact Walmart too and complain about not having widescreen DVD versions of these titles. They have put pressure on the studios for P/S due to customer input and this can work in your favor if you'll *do something* by telling them how you feel.

Remember, be polite. Don't brag about being an HTF member or some expert HT hobbiest. Just sound like a normal consumer who happens to like widescreen. Better yet...sound like a normal consumer who's *family* happens to prefer widescreen and won't accept anything that's been panned/scanned.

do it.

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to agree with Han. When Joe & Jane Six Pack see "full screen" most of them think the widescreen version is cropped (hence the reason for them dang black bars). If the studios would all call it pan & scan, Joe & Jane Idiot might get a clue.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I'd like to add my experience to this list - with regard to renting movies. We rent at Movie gallery and lately there has been a disturbing trend where they only have full screen editions of some new releases. For example, Beautiful Mind, JP III, and Harry Potter are full screen only at our store. I emailed them about this asking why they don't at least carry one or two widescreen copies of these titles and got the following response:

From Movie Gallery:

"Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about this matter. We appreciate hearing from our customers. We have tested having both formats in stores and found that the majority of customers prefer renting
fullscreen versions of movies to widescreen. Therefore we usually only get the fullscreen versions. Many of the studios have found the same thing and have begun to only offer some titles in the fullscreen format. I apologize
for the inconvenience this has caused. I hope you will continue to use Movie Gallery for all your video and entertainment needs. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know."

So, it seems this trend will only grow bigger given the current state of affairs.

cheers,

--tom

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Tom- I've noticed the same thing about my local Movie Gallery. I made a verbal complaint to the manager, but I don't expect it to do much good. I recently purchased several of the discount movie card they offer, and now wish I could simply get my money back rather than patronize a store that carries only "fullframe" when given a choice. Somehow, we have to convince the rental places and the studios that not EVERYBODY wants fullscreen.

Steve K.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I've got to agree with Han. When Joe & Jane Six Pack see "full screen" most of them think the widescreen version is cropped (hence the reason for them dang black bars). If the studios would all call it pan & scan, Joe & Jane Idiot might get a clue.
There is a reason why they don't say pan-and-scan. If they openly say that it's mangled, it will not sell. Of course, we want that, but if P&S versions don't sell, the studios won't make as much money as they would if the suckers bought a P&S version, and then another, widescreen one when 16:9 becomes the norm, and everyone has 16:9 TVs and is complaning about the sidebars. That's the whole reason they release P&S on DVD...

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Damn it! I bought "Muppet Treasure Island" today and just realized that it’s released only in pan and scan. I didn’t know that in 2002 I still have to be careful about the lack of a new release in widescreen. :thumbsdown:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like it's time for you to call Disney and complain about it.

See my signature for details. Email them too...do both.

-dave

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a movie and was annoyed it was in full-frame, but considering it's not likely to be re-released ever... I just picked it up (5.89 is not that big a deal)

I was watching the full-frame movie and thought "At least it's filling up my screen, even if I didn't get the whole image." and then I thought "Nope, that's not helping at all." Needless to say, I'm regretting buying the movie, because now, everytime I watch it, I'll think..."This could have been OAR."

I can't see how people can like the image to fill the screen, it's just so damned cramped!!!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
They don't want to spend time making new transfers, so they recycle old P&S LD/television prints
I really think this is the main reason for P&S only on catalog titles. Now, for the newer films like "Snow Dogs" that are P&S only, it's perceived consumer interest.

Britton

Screenwriter
Well, at Target, they were running a commercial for upcoming DVD releases, and I bearly puked when I heard the voice proudly declare "and coming soon, Grease on FULLSCREEN DVD!!!"

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just received this reply from Disney about the "Muppet Treasure Island"!
--------------------------------
Sam.
Thank you for your email.
To find information in France, please go to the following website:
www.disney.fr/DisneyVideos

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
This was my e-mail:

Dear Sir,

I would love to own the Muppet Treasure Island in Widescreen DVD!
I would not keep my pan and scan version bought by mistake thinking that in this day and age, the lack of a widescreen release is not an issue anymore.

Regards
Sam Davatchi
Paris, France

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You're outside region 1, so you're not supposed to have it! They'll come bust down your door and take your region-free player! ;)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
They'll come bust down your door and take your region-free player!
Good luck for them! My player is a legitimate genuine region 1 player incapable of playing PAL discs. It’s so genuine that I have to convert the 110 v power to 220 volt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks