What's with people using their computers with projectors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Libby, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Ryan Libby

Ryan Libby Stunt Coordinator

Can a laptop or desktop dvd player out perform my Toshiba sd-6200 progressive scan DVD player with a projector like the new Sony Hs-10 that has no scaler? I'm guessing that if I have this right then it has something to do with the signal being processed, or not processed, in a way that produces a better picture. I'm getting this from forums that talk about "HTPCs". Thanks to anyone that can clear this up for me.

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

i dunno much about it either other than scaling the picture to be the projectors native resolution so all it has to do is project the picture and not scale itself.

-ELmO

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Yes, a HTPC (depending on how well it's set up) will outperform the SD6200 for something like the VPL-HS10. HTPC's scale much better than the internal scalers on most if not all current projectors. Plus, you won't have to deal with the chroma bug with a correctly set up HTPC, unlike the SD6200.

Another benefit may be going DVI out of the HTPC into the DVI input of the VPL-HS10. This, of course, depends on whether or not the DVI input the Sony has can take native rate.

4. Ryan Libby

Ryan Libby Stunt Coordinator

The sony hs-10 does have DVI compatability according to this link:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...20&pagenumber=2
    I am seriously considering a HTPC for either a PJ or RP. The only thing holding me back from a PJ is if I watch a lot of HDTV then the projector's bulb will need replacing all of the time.
    Thanks Gabriel. I found all the info. in the world about HTPC on avsforum's HTPC section after reading your response.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It does have a DVI input, however, that does not tell us if it will take 1366x768 from that link, or if it's only limited to 1024x768 or 1280x1024 from that link. A big part of the reason to use the DVI is per pixel mapping, where you bypass the internal scaler completely.